how is this gonna work in the winter?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by NUGZ, Oct 5, 2006.

1. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

ok so i'm on my 2nd indoor grow as some of you here at GK know already, i grow in a 4x4 hydrohut and use a window AC unit to cool my 400 watt hps and grow room. i'm wondering once winter gets here how i'm going to cool this light, will it be ok if i just leave the window AC in the window all winter and use it like i'm using it now or will the unit freeze up? i'm just trying to think how it's going to work once winter gets here and i have no clue what to do really. thanks guys hope u can help. peace. NUGZ

2. buddomi

buddomi Banned

3. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

it would be hard to conceal crackin the window and putting ducting there to vent it in to the grow room. would like kinda weird from the outside in the winter i'm sure. plus the pipes could freeze up. later. nugz

4. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

no to mention i live in minnesota- the winters get pretty frickin cold!!

5. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

nugz man sounds like you might have to either build a cool tube exiting the room, or get a good intake from another room in the house or if you could hook up a thermostat to a intake fan to pull in cool air threw a spot in the window but that way would require a filter to help isolate smell and keep bad shit out! the thermo would take care of everything basically, with the cool tube you will have to run it pretty much non stop, atleast i know i do.

6. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

i don't know skunky, not sure if either of those would work in my situation. thinkin maybe i'll have to shut down the grow operation this winter maybe. wow, this sucks. i gotta think something up. i got a month or so to figure it out. any ideas would help guys. later. nugz

7. skunky

have you though about maybe downsizing for the winter making a smaller grow box and hook a cool tube or just a good exhaust fan to take the hot air out. maybe give somemore info of the setup and how the room is layed out.

8. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

alright dude u asked for it, i have the window ac like i told you which has ducting hooked up to it in which runs into the hydrohut and then to the reflector on my 400 watt hps and another run of ducting goes from the ac to the bottom of the grow room. i control temps with the air conditioner. i live in an apartment so wrecking shit is not an option really. if u need to know anything else just ask. later. nugz

9. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

u can use the fan on the window unit- blwing cold winter air in (not using ac setting) but it will be dry so u will need a humidifier.... then take the cool tube air- blow through scrubber and up into attic....or right into the outtake of the ac unit...(the ac might not suck all the air out...but will get a good majority- attic venting might be better if u can ...you will circulate air totally not just around but gettting fresh co2 in from outside and still get nice cool air for less than running ac w no worries of freon freeze :D

just adjust fan speeds on both ends to get it right- and if it warms up in there THEN kik on the ac :)

10. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

sounds easier than it will actually be. i don't know, but the way u are saying it trillions- i won't need a cool tube if i can just blow cold winter air through the window ac on the regular setting. if it's that easy i won't have to make any adjustments at all. just don't think it's gonna be that ez. peace. nugz

11. trillions of atoms

if u cant vent to the attic through a scrubber- just blow cool tube air up there and have fresh cool winter air coming in- simple......

why would it be hard? its hvac bro- not rocket sience!

12. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

i have no attic, i live in an apartment!

13. nikoatnight

nikoatnight Full Flowering

how i do it

I 'm growing in closet and live in apartment. I put blinds first than 2 garbage bags over the blind than a blanket over top of that. I run 400 hps in small closet. Anyway now I keep it on 12/12.6 am till 6 pm. All I do is pull the blanket back a bit and bags crack the window open and thats it room stays really cool 75. I leave window opened all night and at 6 am close everything up till the sun comes up so no one see light glowing, once the suns up I open everything up again. Than at 6 pm I close evrything up again till it's dark than I open everything up again. NOOOOOO problem keeping all cool. I have my veggie cabnet in other room on 18/24 with flor which doesn't have an heat issue... hope this helps:)

14. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

I am surprised that no one has said this, and don't mean it in a bad way, but you think a crack window will draw attention. What do you think they will think when you have your ac on and it is below 0?

15. skunky

WORD^^^^^

16. trillions of atoms

dude- get a passive system....crack the window and have a squirll fan blowin air into the dryer vent.....no ac blah....it will suck the cool outside air in and no smell get out - scrubb the air going into the dryer vent. crack the window barely.....

i didnt know you lived in an aprtment!

17. eLLisD

eLLisD New Sprout

Its is no ones business if you have the ac on in the winter anyways. The electric company isnt paying all their attentuon tio yous. Its not like the govt wil get involved anyways unles your doing a large scale operation consisting of like 50+ plants.

18. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Cold air is a given.

Warm air is a given.

Inlet cold low vent hot high

Use a fan to mix the layer between.

The answer is to somehow vent from high and inlet cold that will sink low.

It could be as simple as blowing into the rest of the house and a small crack in the window.

As long as there is flow.

The exact solution is on you. Only you understand your conditions best.

that's my $0.02

19. Project-X

Project-X Mayor of Trichome Valley

It's no one's business that you grow dope either but ac on in the winter does attract attention which is what we don't want. Uncle Sam may not give a shit but the local law enforcment might be concerend. Do you think it's only the government that is going to bust your ass?????

20. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

thanks for all the replies guys, and yes i know it would be weird having an AC on the outside of my apartment during the winter. it's just a matter of finding time and money to do what is necessary to grow in the winter. do u guys think the AC will freeze up during winter if i just use it 2 cool the light by using the high fan because it will be blowing cold air from outside?? it won't actually be using the freeon or what not. tell me what u think. this is just baffling me. peace. nugz