Overwatering or N def?

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by Shiva, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Shiva

Shiva All good things

Okay, since some of the symptoms to these two problems I thought I'd appeal to some experts. My research into the issue comes down to two issues with a few others being possibles but not an exact match of the issue.

I am experiencing a yellowing of the lower older leaves, and in one case a severe yellowing. For nearly a month the plants do seem stunted. However some of the leaves do seem to be drooping which is a symptom of drowning.

In my case I can't give Ph values, or really any of the fancy stuff, as this is my first grow and I have exactly $0 in cash to spend on any fixes. So suffice it to say I am hoping this is overwatering but have my doubts that is the case. I do have a broad spectrum fertilizer, that's 20-20-20 plus nutrients, that has been used sparingly once in every 6 waterings or so. While I have been watering more often than once a week, I have not been soaking the soil, simply moistening the top layer.

Sorry the quality of the picks isn't great, but it's the best I can do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hoping for good news but not expecting it, but thanks to everyone who lends the words of experience.

If nothing else I can mark this attempt up to experience and try again later.

2. Convict

Convict Veggy Stage

I can't really see how big your plants are, but it's common for those lower leaves to yellow and die off. What's the newer growth look like?

3. Shiva

Shiva All good things

Well most of the upper growth is good and healthy, it's only on the bottom two branches and with the pre-leaves that I've seen any problems. The top doesn't even seem to be drooping in any significant way. While the second lowest branch on one, the 3-leafed kind does show the first signs of yellowing, it's not yet pronounced. Are those leaves included in the die off areas?

4. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

You don't show enough plant. Need 2 pics, focus in on a problem area and a whole plant picture.

It could be that those leaves are far enough from the lights that the plant is saying fuck them, gimme back those nutes.

Overwatering of a mature plant looks like underwatering. Drooping leaves, but they aren't dessicated at all, they are hydrated and drooping.

5. Shiva

Shiva All good things

Sorry about that, hopefully these will help clear things up. They are super leggy, I know about 6 or 7 inches each, but I know what I did wrong now and next time shouldn't be so bad. As I said before the tops are thus far healthy it's the lower leaves that have got me worried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The light was better this time anyways.

6. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

here's the pics for ya shiva-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

hmmm...

first off don;t take pictures of a pot plant from a screen window in front of an apartment complex parking lot....the leaves that have yellowed at the bottmo is normal...those are the true leaves and when those yellow it;s time to feed them some NPK...the slight yellowing by the other bottom leaves is also N deficiency...if you think you are wastering too much, water less...chances are if you think you are, you are. Give her more light, she is screaming for it...ideally you want to havean inch of space in between each node...looks like you have maybe 4 inches between nodes in the middle of that bad boy/girl.

Shiva likes this.
  8. Shiva

Shiva All good things

Thanks Resin, still learning how to do the pictures in posts.

Thanks Nuggnester, not the worst news but better than I expected I'll step up the fertilization, though I don't think I've been overwatering as I pretty much just moisten the top layer of soil, but there was that chance. As for where the pics came from, if the po-po's can find me based on those pics than they deserve to catch me, but I'll be more careful next time. I was just overexcited to be able to take a clear picture, it was a bitch to get those first pictures as bad as they are.

9. nuggnester

Stay on top of it

As long as you're aware, not TOO much can go wrong...usually...refering to the picture comment, I specifically meant if you're keeping them in that window someone can just look up and see it...I am a paranoid son of a bitch, so i guess it's a personal choice...you can do what ya want buddy! Good luck hope you figure out what is wrong.

10. Shiva

Shiva All good things

Oh heck no, I don't do that, they just get moved there in the afternoon to catch some sunlight since my lights aren't up to par. Figure if nothing else it might keep them from starving to death. Plus it's harder than it looks to see into those windows at least where the plants actually sit, I just moved them closer for those shots to get a clean picture. Most of the time they live a quiet life in a nearby closet.

And yes I think I've got a handle on the problem and do what I can to correct it, I just needed a second opinion before I felt ready to declare N def. So thank you.

11. nuggnester

actually...

I do not believe you have too much of a deficiency...that second to last leaf is a single and is one of those that is kind of mutated just a SLIGHT bit i do believe...your top looks very green...don;t put oo much N in there...she's ok for now.

12. Shiva

Shiva All good things

I don't plan on flooding the pots everyday or anything, just use the fertilizer more often, I was avoiding it to avoid burn early on when they were small. It's not a big deal if they don't make it, as this is a first experimental grow and all of that. I am just trying it and learning about it, and my first 'real' garden will be much better for this first try successful or not.

13. major

major Begun Flowering

I would plant them into bigger pots and LST them, I think mutated leaf is mutated because there weren't enough light.

Keep them short :stop: