Here's one for the pro's

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by fastcompany, Jan 13, 2007.

1. fastcompany

fastcompany Veggy Stage

He's one for the pro's

4 days ago I transfered my rooted (in 1" rockwool cubes) plants into the expanded clay bed. NO nutes were added and the was PH adjusted. They seemed fine for 3 days. I went away yesterday, came back this afternoon, and noticed 4 plants drooped over. The rest look just fine...nice and green; healthy looking. I decided to pull the sick plants. When I pulled them out, the 1" rockwool almost had desolved into a messy, mushy white paste. Further, it smelled almost exactly like battery acid!

I have never in ten years seen this happen! Trying to come up with a reason for this, I wondered if maybe some bleach residue was left over from the cleaning proccess, but It was well rinsed, and no other plants are affected?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

P.S. I also noticed the nute levels were high..EC of 1400, considering I didn't add any at all? My water does run high to begin with, but that's like double! I am not sure if my EC meter is correct, as it hasn't seemed quite right lately, but can't see it doing this in any case.

I have no idea!

2. greenkitty

greenkitty Full Flowering

Now thats weird. I have used 1 inch cubes alot and never had anything like that happen. EC? i use ppm and even if you didn't wash your grow rocks it wouldn't do that i don't beleive. Meter acting funny? Have you changed the batt. lately and calibrated? Bleach? Don't know that even straight bleach would do that to rock wool. This is beyond me. Think i will drop a cube in straight bleach and see.

3. fastcompany

fastcompany Veggy Stage

I might just get the bleach out and do that Kitty lol Too weird!

Thanks

4. marymaryquitecntrary

marymaryquitecntrary Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

i'm not a pro, but i've got more than 4 years of hydro growing experience, and i can't imagine what happened to your rockwool.

i used rockwool cubes for a couple of years, then switched to rapid rooters. i like them much better, and i'd recommend you try them, too.

sorry you lost so many plants! :sad4:

5. fastcompany

fastcompany Veggy Stage

Thanks Mary

What exactly is a rapid rooter?

6. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Aint a pro and i aint got a clue what would cause this,especially if you say it hadnt came into contact with nutes of any kind?How much water ...or what i mean is did you do anything remotely different with the 4 that fuckd up and the ones that are ok?WEIRD!Peace:pimp:

google rapid rooter!

7. porgy tirebiter

porgy tirebiter Senior Citizen

Wow, a white glob, eh? That is bizarre, without a doubt. Sounds like some kinda' fungal ick to me--but that is entirely a guess. Too bad you didn't have an opportunity to stick a chunk under a microscope somewheres. Hope it doesn't spread.

Actual reason for writing was to endorse the rooter thingies mentioned by the loverly and talented Miss Mary. Those are, as my kids would say, "The Bomb". Simply excellent system for germ'n' the li'l buggers. I've never seen them turn into blobs of white ick either!!! (of course, that is true also of rock wool cubes?) Can't recommend them highly enough...well worth a test run with a few dozen.

8. fastcompany

fastcompany Veggy Stage

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't do anything different this time, than any other, and as I said, no other plants seem to be affected. All of the plants were in the same tray while rooting. I looked around the room to see if there was anything lying around, that may have come in contact with those four plants, during the transplant proccess, but didn't see anything unusal. It certainly has me baffled, and it appears I'm not the only one! lol

Thanks again