My First Grow in Japan

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Hank Chinaski, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Water absorbing polymers. I read about them in Marijuana Horticulture: the Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes. They absorb a bunch of water and release it slowly over time. The ones I have look like tiny little beads when dry and like gelatin marbles when full. Mr. Cervantes recommended them for outdoor growing to reduce the frequency of waterings needed. Fewer trips to the grow spots equals more safety/less work.

Here's a link to a company I was going to order from, but shipping was so high I just found something locally. Next year I will order like a 5 pound pack from them.

http://www.aquadiamonds.com/

Thanks for the positive vibes, Rky. I appreciate it.

Mrgreengenes likes this.
  2. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

You do know you can use the absorbent material in diapers as a substitute for that stuff.

I saw it at the farm progress show in Iowa in 95, The sales rep told my dad it was basically the same stuff that was in Pampers. Its granular when dry and swells to a jelly when exposed to water, I tried to grow weed with the free samples, of course I didn't have access to the right information so my little experiment failed horribly.

3. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

No, I didn't know that. I tried one experiment taking the stuff out of a humidity absorbing desicant type pack. I put that stuff in with some polymers and it sucked the water out of them. I think that stuff is better at absorbing than releasing.

The diapers idea is interesting, but from a cost point of view I'm guessing it's just cheaper to buy the polymers direct.

They sell them at the 100 yen store here for planting house plants in.

Polymers are really cool. Anybody growing outdoors should be using them.

4. NOTthatTIGER

NOTthatTIGER Developed Alternating Nodes

checked out the aqua diamonds....look cool, but hank, did ya see the bottom of the page?......weird never seen that before....i'll shop for another brand, but i was gonna start an outdoor next season, and the polymers are really cool, will definately get some version of those fo sho, thanx for the tip!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]Our family at Aquadiamonds gratefully extend our heart-felt congratulations to President George W. Bush for winning the 2004 Presidential election. We trust that you will keep the fight against terrorism in the forefront for the next four years. With Divine assistance and the efforts of those on the "front lines" at home and abroad, may you keep our homeland safe from further terrorist attacks.

We would also like to thank Senator John Kerry for his graciousness and dignity in defeat, and placing the good of the United States as a country ahead of anything else through his timely concession. Best of Luck, Senator Kerry in your future endeavors.

5. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

That's on the news page. I hadn't seen that. You should use that as your avatar. :roffl:

Watercrystals.com and watersorb.com are a couple others I was looking at.

6. NOTthatTIGER

done...i'm a repubican!!!!!! woot, woot!!

7. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I got my last 6 Jack Herer in today and it was a bitch. I put them in an abandoned field. It's kind of around the corner at the end of a skinny little road that only 1 or 2 farmers use on rare occasion. Once I get into the field, I can work in total seclusion, but getting there I have to pass through an area with a few people working their fields on occasion, so I park a few blocks away and cut through the woods in stealth fashion.

The field gets great light, even though I planted on the back edge and in the corner, and is secluded enough, but the ground is covered with 3 or 4 different types of creeping vines. Omg, was it a pain in the ass to clear a space for 6 plants today. It was quite hot, over 30 (86) for sure, but I got it done with a hand spade, pruning shears and elbow grease. I should have brought my 12 inch machete.

I've actually still got 5 "bonus" seedlings I haven't put out yet, but I'm not really counting them as I don't even know how many are female.

I'll take some new pics in the next few days and put them up monday.

Females in the ground,

1 Durban Poison

1 Purple White Widow

1 Holland's Hope

1 Sharksbreath

1 Cole Train

7 Ch. 9 Super Haze

10 Jack Herer

14 Neville's Haze

Edit: Haze varieties are supposed to be super late finishing. I was reading about it on different sites and the supposed most Northern latititude where they can finish is pretty close to where I'm at, so it'll be interesting to see how well they can finish up in the end. (like end of Oct. maybe)

:passsit:

8. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Are these plots going to stick out like a sore thumb from the air?

Do you guys have cops in birds flying around Japan? :alien11:

9. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I don't think they would stick out too much. One group is even in the trees. The other two locales are more open, but I've never heard of pot searching flights.

That's one good thing, even though penalties for getting busted are harsh, no one is looking for it. A few years ago, a couple college guys in Tokyo got busted for growing in their dorm room. It was a big national news story. Growing is so far below the radar, nobody looks for it, nobody thinks about it.

:flyy: :flyy: :flyy: :flyy: :flyy:

10. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Update w/ Pics

Hello all, I made a round of my 3 grow spots yesterday to check on things and get some pics.

Everything is going fine. The first place I went which is called the Field Spot was all good. It's only just been planted a week or so ago (4 Neville's Haze and 6 Jack Herer in two seperate plots), so everything is still small.

Here is one of the Jack Herer babies.

[​IMG]

The next place is in some trees and is thus called the Woods Spot. Six Neville's Haze are still new and tiny, but 3 Super Haze, a Cole Train, and a Sharksbreath have been in there about 3 or 4 weeks. They are not getting enough light. Growth is very slow.

This is a Super Haze from my Woods Spot.

[​IMG]

The third place I went to, and by far the best of my grow sites at this point, is on an island in the river and is called, you guessed it, the River Spot.

Compare this Super Haze with the previous one planted at about the same time. There are four here, all about 2 - 2 1/2 feet tall and looking good. (1 has, what I believe to be, nute burn.)

[​IMG]

Best of them all at the moment is this Purple White Widow. It's 4 - 4 1/2 tall and has been growing about 6 inches a week for the last month or so.

[​IMG]

Check out these fan leaves.

[​IMG]

Also, doing pretty well is this Holland's Hope at about 3 - 3 1/2 feet.

[​IMG]

There is a Durban Poison also (no pic), but it's in a shady spot and isn't growing too fast. Location, location, location.

Most of my plants are still recent transplants as, almost all the plants I planted in the beginning died, so there are a lot of small ones now and it will be interesting to see how big they can get with a slightly shorter growing period than I would have have liked. I'm glad I went to check on the river site as the 8 babies (4 JH and 4 NH) were battered by the rain and many were lying on their sides. I staked them up, and all the rest as well, with bamboo.

Thanks for stopping in. Check back in another week or two for some new pics.

11. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Very nice looking plants you have there Hank. ;)

It looks like your gonna have some super results if things stay on track. ;)

Great job and thanks for the cool pix. ;) :ebert:

12. NOTthatTIGER

i like the big fan leaf pic...it has your century guard (that little grey spider) keeping all the bad bugs off of the plant...

just been wonderin'....do you kinda make sure you're not being followed/watched/filmed by J.L.E.O.?...(not by air, of course)

i understand they can be pretty sneaky.

great work so far, just wonderin' (i do that from time to time)..would you get a longer growin' season in Okinawa, as opposed to, Fukuoka? or does it just not make that much difference?

13. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

I trained him myself. He is part of an elite secret spider society, the Knights of the Fan Leaf.

I don't get followed....by anyone. If there is any following to be done, it'll be by me. I'm like the wind that whistles through the bamboo, the moonlight glistening on a blade of grass, the heron hunting in the morning mist, ...silent...unknowable......or maybe I'm just kinda careful,...of course.

Um yeah, I'm just a noob, but I think the closer to the equator you get, the earlier you can plant....but the day/night lengths not varying so much at the equator might have an effect on which varieties do best (like sativas). As I understand it, cannabis developed and was developed at specific latitudes and that latitude is what determines how many hours of darkness will trigger it's flowering cycle.

@Rky, Yeah, I sure hope I get a bunch of big beauties. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

:popcorn-2: :passsit:

14. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Update w/ Pics

Time for an update. These are the same pics I posted in the Outdoor Grow-Off thread, but I'll edit it later and add in some more juicy details, etc..

Here is my best so far, Purple White Widow. She (and 2 others-a Hollands Hope and a Durban Poison) survived my initial blunders and is doing pretty decent I think. She's over 5 feet now and apparently is under a pretty popular roosting spot for some birds. She was covered in some kinda black, stink bug looking mo-fos. Hopefully, they aren't hurting her. I'll be out there with some pesticide powder this weekend.

[​IMG]

These are my next best looking prospects. 4 Super Hazes chilling to the rear of the queen and looking pretty healthy themselves, about 4 feet now, I guess.

[​IMG]

This is a newer gal, only a foot or so, but good leaf growth, Neville's Haze, in the same spot as the ones above.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of my island grow spot. Nice little clearing surrounded by bamboos.

[​IMG]

And last is a shot of another baby at a different locale, but getting plenty of sunshine and looking to turn into a decent plant, Jack Herer.

[​IMG]

15. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

A Little Update

It's been a while since my last update, but they didn't seem to be growing at all for a few weeks there during the rainy season. Now the rain has backed off a bit and they are getting plenty of sunshine they seem to be getting bigger again. Most are still small, though. Anyone who has read this thing from the beginning knows that I had a bunch die, replanted later, had a bunch more die, planted again after that, had a few more die, etc...

Most of the plants I've got going at this point were like 3rd or 4th round and didn't get transplanted til June or so and weren't big at that point, so I'm just taking as good of care of them as I can and hoping they get as big as they can and just hope for the best in terms of bud quality and amount.

My river grow spot had some flooding which killed 2 of my larger girls (about 3 1/2 feet tall) and 4 smaller one (only about 1 1/2 feet tall at that point). Some plants in my grow spot in the woods died. No idea why. They don't get enough light in there, but that shouldn't have killed them. None of the plants in my field spot have died, though, and they get lots of light, too. If only they weren't planted so late, they might be bigger.

At this point it looks like everything still living will flower and I'll be able to harvest something.

Total rundown:

2 plants from "bonus" seed sitting in big huge pots out in a field on the mountain (small)

1 Cole Train (in the woods and small)

3 Super Haze (in the woods and small)

1 Durban Poison (small and a bit freaky looking)

7 Jack Herer (doing ok, 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall)

7 Neville's Haze (3 looking good, 4 looking small)

3 Super Haze (on the island, healthy, 3 1/2 feet tall or so)

1 Purple White Widow (6 feet tall or so)

So it looks like:

Big - 1

Medium - 3

Small - Medium - 10

Small - 11

So, I'm just hoping to get as much veggie growth as I can in the next 2 - 4 weeks before they go into flowering mode.

Now for a few pics.

These are Jack Herer. In the back corner of this unused agricultural field I've got 2 little plots. One has 6 Jack Herer and the other has 4 Neville's Haze. I only took photos of the JH. The NH isn't really photo worthy yet.

[​IMG]

Two of the bigger ones.

[​IMG]

This one has started flowering already. I'm getting excited.

[​IMG]

This is my one big plant, Purple White Widow. It smells real nice.

[​IMG]

And here is one more when they are all white. I sprinkled them with bug powder. The ground is sprinkled with lime powder and fert pellets. The directions are a bit hard to read on that bug powder bag, but I'm pretty sure it says sprinkle on and around. It hasn't been hurting the plants any and the black bugs that were all over my lone tree have all gone bye-bye. Behind the big PWW are 3 Super Haze. In the foreground are 3 Neville's Haze to the right, and 1 Jack Herer to the left.

[​IMG]

Well, lots of mistakes this year, but I have learned a ton through trial and error. I already can't wait for next year. Things are going to go soooooo much better. I'm going to grow some big fuckers next year. That's for sure.

16. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

That PWW looks like a friggin tree or a huge bush. Nice. I like pics of outdoor grows cuz some of the plants are just crazy big.

Thanks for the pix, Hank.

17. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

You are welcome, Scotty. Thanks for checking in.

18. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

man land of the rising has not been GrowKind. I think it's awesome that i can sit here nestled deep in the states and look at your outdoor op over in the hills of japan. Thanks for sharing!!! Good Luck and Godspeed to them ladies you're tending to...Steelcity

19. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Cheers, bro. I've got my fingers crossed.

:beerchug-2:

SteelCity Smoker likes this.
  20. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

Most of mine are like your mid-smaller ones and 2 of them are full bloom right now. Here comes the fun! Good luck on finishing your grow!