Feminized seeds?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by greethumbumm, Feb 3, 2010.

1. greethumbumm

greethumbumm Developed Alternating Nodes

lots of people seem to be buying the feminized seeds now days. most seed banks seem to offer half their genetic stock in feminized seeds! i have heard that they come from hermie plants, and they usually turn into hermie plants after only a few generations of cloning or less. im totally clueless to this subject and would love to know more. facts mostly, but opinions are always welcome too! lol :thumbs-up: thanx GK! you and abba zabba are my only friends!
    :roffl:

lukesmommy likes this.
  2. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

yes infact feminized seeds come from hermied plants. its done from the process called “hermaphroditic breeding” ( female plants that are pollenated by females that devolped male sex organs ). Female plants devolped from hermie seeds or " fem seeds" are far more likely to devolop male branches or go hermie. Fem seeds are great if you have your grow room dialed in with temps and no light leaks, well basically any thing that will stress the plant and you only grow from seed. Fem seeds are not ideal for cloning or breeding. If you want a grow room full of consistant genetic female's its cheap and better to just use regular seeds and grow them and take 20 clones from each and throw them into flower and kill off all the males and male clones, then ur left with how ever many females, say 6 then you have 6 females flowering to choose from! which ever is the best to your liking....... best phenotypes and traits, best smoke ect. now you have 20 guaranteed female clones genetically stable at your hands! hope this helps. TEX

3. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

True.

False. All the resulting plants from seed should be hermies, but here’s the twist.

Hermies have triggers, something to trigger the male flowers. It could be light leaks or it could be the sweat of a horney black bear, who knows :confused:

The trick is to find a stable plant that doesn’t hermie under normal (well actually stressed, such as light leaks) growing conditions. When you find this plant, you introduce something into the environment that they will never meet in a normal grow room. e.g. cordial silver or something like that. This will cause them to hermie and produce male flowers and then fem seeds.

Now these fem seeds will be hermies, but their trigger (cordial silver) will never be introduced to their growing environment, so they shouldn’t hermie on you.

Now this is all good, but in reality fem seeds do tend to have minor herm issues but all the ones ive seen grow don’t cause major issues and any seeding is very minimal!

ResinRubber likes this.
  4. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

Im thinking they are better than cloning except if you have something special you want to keep.

In my case i have expended a lot of effort to get my clones and though

it did not cost me except for power I think i would rather just grow femmed seeds, and with them i can have a lot of differnt strians in the space I have, and the time it takes to get them to root, and ready to flower is about the sames as it would be to just grow femmed seeds

And less plants around in case things go south.

In my case i think it be more efficent

greethumbumm likes this.
  5. lukesmommy

lukesmommy "lil doobie"

i personally have never grown feminized seeds, and just ordered my first batch of fem seeds ever. I won't be popping them for a while, but i just find the whole topic very interesting. I had a few plants go hermie on me in my first grow, and i believe it was from light leaks and the fact that they were unknown bagseeds too.

Very good thread, and an excellent q & a...

Peace

-LM

6. greethumbumm

greethumbumm Developed Alternating Nodes

thats a hell of a point you got there. never thought of it that way. i guess i assumed that unless you were intentionally tryin to get seeds, they were the devil. and since femmed seeds increase that chance of seeds, why bother. i clone in a tray in peat plugs which has been getting frustrating, and the idea of not needing to and having more of a variety at the same time is music to my ears.

man, im grateful for this site.:not-worthy: