Walmart

Discussion in 'Politics' started by HeadCase, Dec 23, 2011.

1. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I was going to bitch that everything they sell at Walmart is junk made in China But I check my fruit of the loom sweat shirt that was only $5 & the piece of shit was made in Honduras I might have wear about 5 time & it look like the cotton is rubbing off. You think your getting a deal at Walmart but your not they sell junk everything I get doesn't last or breaks before it should. I would say I'll never buy anything from them again but I know they'll fuck me on something again. The thing is we have government inspectors & standards on things made in the U.S. . But the shit made in other countries doesn't have any standards or inspections.I can see those Chinese fuckers laughing their asses off when they put all those wires to hold the Christmas toys in the box & it takes us a hour to get the piece of crap out & hope we don't break it. Rant over-Bud

Buy American

2. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Is the Cotton Rubbing off in the front or back :roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl:

Hell order you some hemp undies they last ten times longer

t6

3. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

Headcase where do they sell american that is the problem... The unions helped a lot but they also brought the wage for factory work through the roof. The need to cut overhead every year to show profit has gut america's blue collar worker. The last blow was the housing market. Construction employs local semi skilled labor exactly the type of ppl that spend pay check to paycheck the exact need of the economy. Savings of the higher class and corporations fueling the immediate needs of the working man. Good luck in finding that american dream in this toilet...Steelcity

4. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

there isn't much SKILLED labor in America anymore because LABOR isn't good enough for Americans anymore, and neither is paying someone a reasonable salary for a job well-done, we'd rather pay some 3rd world sweat shop slave .02 a day to make our stuff.... don't worry about it, it's cheap, just buy another one so some kid in Honduras can have a full handful of rice and maybe a half a plantain this week after he knits 400 sweaters for ur ungrateful ass:kidding:

Those lil bastard always complain about being poor and eating filthy sewer water.. but they sure do have plenty of soccer balls, don't they?:bduh:

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Poor countries love soccer because a game that takes one piece of equipment, is cheap to play. :thumbsup:

6. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

You think there's a lot of chinese shit at walmart? Hell, WM is the 6th leading exporter from China, just behind Germany. Just a small glimpse of the overall trade defecit with China we've been building since Clinton convinced everybody that trade with China and letting them join the WTO would be a good idea. SMH

-tC

7. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Things are becoming more and more disposable. If it wears out quickly, just buy another one. This keeps the economy moving and should be your main concern. It's your responsibility to keep the economy moving by working and spending and working some more.

Quality is actually a bad thing, because if consumer goods lasted a long time before breaking down retail sales, sales tax revenues, JOBS, THE ECONOMY, STANDARDS OF LIVING IN THE MODERN WORLD, etc...would all suffer and mankind would return to a savage state. Get shopping, already.

:sarcasmsmiley:

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

:roffl::roffl::roffl::roffl:

This is something we should imbue into our children. Not slogans of "Buy American" or stories or trade deficit ruination that simply mixes in with all the other commercial crap, but the respect of effort a valued item represents. As for "Buy American"? Fuck you. I'll buy what I want thank you and I buy quality in things that matter to me.

The lesson is buy value and respect the work it took to buy it. My kids know my hunting boots are 25 years old but work perfectly, that my daily cruiser board is a 10 year old Burton, my favorite riding jacket is 20 years old and gets used all winter every winter, that my back pack has seen thousands of miles and 30 is years old. I could give two shits if it's made in China, Italy or Peru. But, as is usually the case, most high value long lasting gear is made by a highly skilled work force in first tier economies (North America or western Europe).

Keep that mentality and cheap shitty Chinese trade items won't have a chance. Work for what you want, buy the best you can afford then take care of it. Much more personal of a message than some slogan.

9. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I let the free market decide for me. I hate Wal-Mart, but I do shop there. With that said, most everything I do buy there is made in America (Pet food and groceries, I make my wife go, lol). Other wise the video game I buy at game stop supports the same people as Wal-Mart. Both American companies selling a foreign product.

Clothes, a little harder. Most of mine I buy are made in the America's at the least. I use a US made hemp soap as well and have for over 15 years.

We need to manufacture more, we are great at it, it makes the US, but this is a world economy, has been going that way for more than a thousand years. It is not a new thing. Hell, the "Americas" was discovered because of world trade.

Yes we should enjoy the quality of products we have here, because they are some of the best, but to avoid foreign trade or products all together is against all capitalism concepts and just plain unworkable.

10. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Meds are about all I buy at WM and that's going to change.

I think I'm buying a 46" LED on Mon. and it won't be at WM. Fuck Sam WM :bird:

11. LionLoves420

I am buying a camera for my daughter tomorrow, not from Wal-Mart, but the product will probably be from South Korea or Japan!

12. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I think Samsung's a Japanese. When it comes to 'big ticket' items, I'm not ashamed to buy from whomever makes the best one; even pay more.

13. LionLoves420

Another part of this puzzle begs the IPhone and other Apple products example. They are an American company. Most of the internal parts for the IPhone are made in America, shipped overseas, assembled with the rest of the parts, and then shipped everywhere else in the world to be sold, including the US. Is this a waste of money and taking jobs from Americans, or the best way to make something that contains metals found in different parts of the world? We don't have a lot of rare earth in America, but they do in Asia!

14. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Oh hell I could rant about WM and China for days, but I will refrain. (gasp)

If you want to make a concerted effort to buy American, or NOT buy Chinese, it just takes a little legwork. There are a few resources online, and slowly shops are starting to realize there's a market for it. Just had to buy a new hamper the other day, went to bed bath and beyond, they had two, similar style, same price, one had USA sticker on it.

For many things though, I hit up Goodwill or Salv. Army. Well over 75% of my clothes I get there, and many of my small housewares. Big stuff look on craigslist. The way I figure, even if it's made somewhere else, or from some big time corporate pig company, that's not who's getting my money the second time around, plus, it's cheaper.

I will def. agree on buying nicer things up front. It may be a pinch sometimes for the cost, but as someone who's moved all over the country, I am so glad I bought nice shit in my early 20's. I still have all of my original wood furniture I bought when I was 20 (nice dining set, armoir, etc) and it still looks amazing. I won't have to replace it unless something crazy happens or I change my taste. I will have that shit for the next 20 years of my life, should I choose.

Lastly, (ok, I did drone on a bit) if you make a vow to yourself NOT to buy chinese or only buy american, or local, or whatever, you'll be surprised by how much extra crap you DONT need. Having just moved across the country, I was overwhelmed by how much extra crap I had. I purged before I packed, and I've been purging since I got here. Do I need 18 different types of tupperware? No, actually a handful of bowls suffices just fine. Do I need a 10-pack of towels? No, I only use one at a time, last I checked. Businesses enable our greediness and entitlement and our insatiable desire for instant gratification and convenience by hooking us into a system it's almost impossible to break out of. eg, I don't have a microwave. My last one was a built in hood, so it got left. I've been in my new house for over a month now, and I still don't have one. That thing called a 'stove' also produces heat. (wow.) And really, it only took a slight shift in how I cooked and what to accommodate not using one. (usually healthier too, duh.)

IMO, the reason we have gotten into this cheap consumer cycle that most people are in is simple - WE are greedy. selfish. Cheap. You can blame the businesses to an extent, but as a good business, they are merely accommodating the demands of their customers. As much as I loathe WM, I realize that because of $ there are way too many people who really could not survive if it weren't for the cheap prices. Most people couldn't afford to pay American workers.

:ranting:

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

15. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

Over indulgence in america phew yeah right... We invented the all you can eat buffet.

16. RoninAmok

RoninAmok Excommunicated

I lived in a small town that WalMart killed twice , once when they moved in and gradually killed off the mom and pop operations , thereby eroding the economic base and ultimately their own customer base , when the latter was finally eroded enough to show consistent losses they closed up shop and left town.

WalMart employees gathered and donated 5 MILLION dollars to the Katrina relief effort , total donation for the Walton family , all of whom are multi-billionaires.....5 THOUSAND dollars.

Nope I don't much care for WalMart , and don't get me started on the way they treat their employees. And quite frankly they can go piss up a rope before I'd piss in a bottle to work at WalMart.

17. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

:BangHead:

well they won't even hire me because I have a felony arrest, but no felony convictions.. go figure.

A lot of corporate policy is quite similar to the way Nazi's weeded out their 'undesireables' by denying them citizenship rights etc... even the pettiest BS barrs you from having a chance at being a productive, citizen if those corporations are your only chance, and it's getting to be that way.

I've been starting to beleive there's a mass conspiracy at play to systematically fuck up the US in every way possible.. but I've been accused of being paranoid b4, too.

Most of it seems pretty trivial as individual incidences, but when you look at the problems we've been having as a whole it makes more sense, starting with Nixon declaring the US dollar based on zero material value so they could print as much cash as they wanted. KInda makes me feel like monopoly money has the same value(if not more) as the shit marked 'legal tender' printed by the US gov.

Anyway, yeah I think tha's been the goal all along, to fuck us up so only the already wealthy and very lucky have a shot at success.

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

ZACTLY ofo. If I need 1 can I'm going to True Value Hardware to grab a can for $5. If I need 6 I'm driving to Wally World or some other discount joint.

One of the problems I'm running into is the local retailers are stocking the same crap at a higher price. If I want a chinese made home weather station I'd rather pay $5 at WM than $30 at the local for the same shyte.

19. that gringo

that gringo Young Bud of GK

i bought everything for my grow closet from wal mart :redbong:

20. nuggnester

nuggnester Pot & Poker Enthusiast

they have wal mart in third world countries?