Dog bisquits

Discussion in 'The 'Kind Kitchen' started by jr215, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

Disclaimer:

I do not advocate giving your pet marijuana for anything other than real medical use. I'm not trying to get my dog high for my own enjoyment.

I've been giving my 13 year old rot/shepherd some mmj for a few months now and cannot believe the positive effect its having on her. She had ACL surgery a few years back and has bad arthritis and hip displatia. This has been her best winter in a few years. She's been able to run around the yard with the other two dogs and she'll sleep through the night without whining. I'm making some butter this morning, but this is the recipe I picked out to try. I'll post pictures after their done. It's only 1/3 cup butter so I'm making really a really strong batch, half margarine, half whole unsalted butter ( 2 ounces trim to one pound.

1 cup rolled oats

1/3 cup margarine or butter

1 cup boiling water

3/4 cup cornmeal

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons chicken or beef instant bullion

1/2 cup milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 egg, beaten

2 cups white or wheat flour

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.Grease cookie sheets. In large bowl combone rolled oats, margarine and water; let stand for 10 minutes. Sitr in cornmeal, sugar, boullion, milk,cheese and egg. Mix well. Add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition to form stiff dough.

On floured surface, knead in remaining flour until dough is smooth and no longer sticky, 3 to 4 minutes. Roll or pat out dough to 1/2 inch thickness; cut with cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on cookie sheets.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely. Store loosely covered. Makes 3 1/2 dozen large biscuits

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

This is VERY :coool: my brother! I will be trying this recipe for my dogs if they come out decent for you. This has got to be the first ever animal related MMJ post on GK and the first Kind Kitchen recipe for ganja edibles targeted specifically for dogs! :bravo:

3. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I have personally witnessed dogs suffering from cannabis toxicity. Even a video of one of our member's dogs. I would be extremely careful (actully I wouldn't do it at all) with this. You can treat the arthritis easily with glucosamine and chondroitan as well as other cheap vet medications for inflamation. It's your dog.......just be very very careful and start LOW. Really low. Smoke in a dog's face (I don't know how you have been administering it) is way different than edibles. I have seen dogs crying for hours, literally hours, crying, screaming, or completely zombified...also vomiting, pupil dialation and even respiratory distress. Use EXTREME caution.

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I give my dogs ganja on a regular basis. It IS important to do it responsibly in the proper dosage for the size of the dog. There is absolutely no lasting ill effects from ganja toxicity though. If they DO get too strong a dose, just keep them in a quiet spot so they can be relaxed and sleep it off.

AS stated, this is for medicinal purposes and not for our amusement.

On the glucosamine and chondroitin supplements. They can help for sure, but in my experience, the anti inflammatory properties and pain killing qualities of ganja far surpass any of the remedies available from your vet or pet store. Not to mention the effect it has had on my dogs skin tumors. She had a skin tumor the size of an orange on her front leg. After a year of consistent ganja therapy the tumor had shrunk by at least 70% of it's largest size. Now it seems to be in remission completely with no new tumors showing. Like any medication given a tolerance will be built up and dosage is the key. Start small and work up as needed to achieve the proper results.

Ganja can offer relief that can't be achieved in other ways. If it brings a higher quality of life to your pet or loved one, it's a good thing. There is nothing wrong with responsible administration of ganja as a medicine for your dog as long as it's approached cautiously and with respect.

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

MMJ for dogs is similar enough to people that it wouldn't concern me at all. As with all things holistic care must be taken to adjust treatment to the specific need and animal. Is it a panacea for all things? Nope, but used judiciously can be a decent alternative treatment for many things.

Seriously tho....dogs screaming in pain from mj? Never seen it myself and I've had a pooch find and eat an entire half ounce. He got goofy then slept it off and I started always keeping all weed in pooch proof jars. Think you're exercising a little hyperbole there.

6. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

not screaming like they just got hit by a car or something...just long unending loud whimpering. And yes I have seen it. I'm just saying be careful. Dogs are not people and they do often have horrible reactions...obviously much worse when they steal a whole stash ect, but you know what I mean.

Oh and I mean a stash of edibles, not a stash of raw weed that has not been heated.

7. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

8. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Bully...what a goof. He was blazed and slept it off...no "screaming". Methinks your predisposition to anthropomorphism has clouded some vision Canna.

Hyperbole...."screaming" vs "long uninterrupted whimpering" jus' sayin'.:bong-2:

9. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

He was clearly suffering. I just think you don't like to agree with me to be extremely blunt and honest. If that were my dog i'd be shitting my pants. You did watch the video with volume, right?

Whatever. I think it's awesome to try and help a dog however they can be helped. I am and was simply saying be careful, dogs are not people. And dogs can have some bad reactions to pot. And yes, to me, Bully was screaming. What else is he gonna do, form words? That's screaming.

jr215, Good luck and I hope your dog feels better and continues to improve.

10. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

I can totally understand and appreciate cannagirl's warning and advice. I am an animal freak, much more than some. Ras can justify that my animals are well cared for. I have several dogs and an equal number of cats. Even more reptiles and fish. Look at the ingredients in the recipe. Nothing in there I wouldn't eat myself, in fact I plan to try first a half biscuit, then after it wears off a whole one. The amount of medicated butter is pretty low even though I made it strong. If a half of one gives me relief my dog will get a quarter of one at first. I'm not going to market these and I do give a strong warning and want anyone reading this thread to know that its not for amusement. I've had this particular dog since she was a puppy and I love her like she's one of my kids. MMJ has proven to improve her quality of life and there's no greater love than compassion and empathy.

11. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

They turned out pretty good. I made silver dollar size cookies and gave my dog about a third of one last night. She slept through the night without any trouble and didn't show any signs of stress. Normally on a cold night she'll whine a little bit, probably from the pains in her old joints. They're really cheesy. Dogs love cheese!

12. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

#1: It was an accident. Lesson learned.

#2: It doesn't take an 'activist' to tell the difference between 'screaming' and howling.

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I tried one last night and I slept pretty good, not to mention that the thing was tasty! I know I had cotton mouth cuz when I did wake up I couldn't swallow and had to have some water. I gave my larger dogs about 1/3 of a biscuit and the little dogs just a bite and they all slept great. Soundly and quietly and without any signs of toxicity.

Great job jr! Thanks!:passsit::bravo:

14. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I hope you know I was not trying to put you down in any way. I knew it was a total accident, no blame on ya whatsoever. The debate of the wording is past, it really doesn't matter, in the end it is the same, he was audibly displaying his discomfort. I am an activist but I have also been a veterinary surgical assistant/vet tech. No need to be rude.

Glad they turned out good jr and glad they are helping your dog :)

15. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Not trying to BE rude. I've been a nurse for 20 yrs. and seen pain more than enough. I've worn many hats, but never a vet tech. (formal schooling vet tech). I have 'been around' dogs twice as long as you and take offense if somebody hints that I don't treat my boys well. Rarely heard, but still annoying, none the less.

Sorry for the miscommunication.

16. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I know you treat ur pups very well and love them to death, I would never question that <3 Beautiful dogs too

17. I8ntLucky_UR

I8ntLucky_UR Germinating

For a few years I have been making cannabis infused coconut oil for capsules for my pain. Our dog 7 lb JRT is coming on 14 yrs old now and for the past 1-2 years I have been giving her drops of this oil in her food, 3 drops / day. She had been having some discomfort walking and climbing stairs.

After a few days I never noticed any type of euphoric or weirdness with her but did notice her flying up and down the stairs once again and all around a happier dog. She drinks a bit more water and her appetite has perked up a bit too.

I had a Sheltie dog 30 yrs ago snatch about 3 grams of really good black hash off my knee while twisting up a joint. He slept for almost 3 days in between drinks and food a bit woobly and lived to almost 17. never let him near my hash after that.