Add Your Soil Brand And Experience With It Here.....look Here For Soil Reccomendation

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Mr. Wakenbake, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

OK guys I got to thinking and I figure we need a thread on what soil types most experienced growers have used and what their experience with that particualar brand of soil.

Please be sure to give us the brand name of it, and a short description of how good or bad the soil has worked for you.

I figure that if we can get plenty of soil recommendations on this thread, you new guys will know exactly what to look for in the store.

I will start it out, with a couple I have used so far.

MIRACLE GROW ORGANIC- NOT 100% ORGANIC like they claim, i found slow release fert liquid gelcap thingies in there..IT killed my plants when flower came...

Miracle Grow with 3 months food- NO GOOD KILLED MY PLANTS by flowering time.(This brand of MG also claims less watering is required which is the only true claim on the bag. The plants def don't get twice as big ;) )

Scotts(yellow bag) no nutes added - Works great the first time through but doesn't have enough perlite in it, you have to add alot.

BACCTO Professional Premium Potting Soil-Absolutely great so far, ORGANIC, and has been nothing but good for my plants. Made with 90% reed sedge peat/ 10% perlite and sand..with dolomite lime added already.

Please feel free to add as many brands as you guys would like, and this is meant to be a source of info for newbs so, state your experience with a certain brand of soil whether stated already or not and be nice about it.

NO FLAMING...No arguing ..just state your brands used and your experience that's it..HAPPY GROWING GUYS

2. Project-X

Project-X Mayor of Trichome Valley

Good thread, I'm curious to hear from people who use Fox Farms ocean forest and what they add to it. I'm looking into this brand for my next grow.

3. Mr. Wakenbake

Fox farms is the best of the best right now, and it's especially good if you wanna go 100% organic..cause it's a great foundation to build upon..but i don't have personal experience with it, just know from other growers.

4. URIpothead

URIpothead Germinated

people should also put in what kind of stores they got it at. i say this cause i would have to travel about 2 hours just to find a good hydro store and it would help me out personally to know what stores you can get these soils at and i bet it would help other new growers cause they are always askin what they can get at like homedepot or lowes. peace

5. Project-X

Project-X Mayor of Trichome Valley

I go 100% organic and that's why I'm looking into fox farms. I use the all organic line from Advanced Nutrients and I think the fox farms would work fantastic with these.

6. jwmoregon

jwmoregon Full Flowering

[​IMG]

20% top soil, 10% worm castings, 10% composted chix manure, 10% perlite and 50% harvest supreme soil amendment.

7. Mr. Wakenbake

I found all of the soils stated in my first post @ lowe's and HD but the BACCTO can only be found at the seed and feed down the road. Those places normally have some great soil

8. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

thats what i'm using, i dont see any liquid gel cap in my soil, actually. there isnt anything in there but straight soil.

anyways, im using MG organic choice and perlite. nothing wrong with my plant.

[​IMG]

9. Spuddy

Spuddy Veggy Stage

so far ive loved miracle grow for my vegging, but it is definitely DEATH when flowering time comes.. so i just go from MG to some cheap organic black soil at lowe's with no additives when flower time coes

10. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

Cool,

ive got a soil recipe i try and stik with that gives me a balanced mix of areation- water retition, nutriet avability now and over time and ease of aviability for all parts to the soil being most everythings at your local do-it-yerself.

33% perlite

20%percent black kow manure

20%soiless medium w perlite and peat (they have a lil perlite in it)

10% mushroom compost

10% worm castings

5% bone meal (mixed with a cup at least of fish emoulsion after bone meal has been dissovled some in boiling hot water after water cools down some)

few cups dolomite lime

2% sand

MIX WELL

try and get all the better all organic brands and you shouldnt have to worry. avoid all pre fertilized or extended release brands similar to miracle grow.

line bottom of pots with inch or two of perlite, hydroton or grow rocks or even river rock and/or pea gravel or similar material for happy roots and more areation.... and add same to top layer of pots to deter pests like fungus gnats from forming colonies.

some pots dont have enough drain holes or ones that are big enough...so drilling a few more never hurts.

fox farms soils work good- fyi +

black kow compost- works good +

scotts brand w no added nutes can be a good base- +

miracle grow brands no good -

wall mart brands can contain lotsa bugs -

discount soils can either be old or cheep and most times both w pests -

hope this helps a lil

TOA

11. mike

mike Veggy Stage

What the hell man. Check this out

I found the MG he was talling about.

#

Miracle Groreg Potting Mix teaser image

Miracle-Gro® Potting Mix

Premium potting soil for indoor and outdoor container plants. Feeds plants for up to 3 months.

So even when flower starts if it was a seed and not a clone. He would not have one freaken problem flowering after 3 months. :) CHEERS

12. Mr. Wakenbake

no he will mike...you just don't like to listen do ya..feeds for 3 months lol, that's hilarious...go ahead and buy all the MG nutes and soil you guys want...you will regret it in the end

until you learn how to shut your mouth and open your mind to what we are trying to tell you I won't try anymore ..iggy iggy iggy.

13. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

I use Fox Farms Ocean's Forest.

I add 7.5-10% Humus, 10% Homemade compost, cow manuer

15-20% perlite, 1/2-1.0 cups of Essential Minor Elements(this is very worth it, not many people do this). 1 cup of potash. These measurments are for one of those Home Depot Buckets FULL, the orange buckets, believe they're JUST over a 5 Gallons.

I used to go w/ bone/blood meal pre-mixed, but now I just use liquid Organic Nutrients, and add them as needed. My plants are 3.5 weeks old and look absolutely outstanding.

You can probably get by with only about 10% perlite, especially if you add the Humus.

14. $moke1

$moke1 Germinating

On my first attempt I used Miracle-Gro Moisture Control potting soil, my plant was fine until it had alternating nodes then it dies a horrible agonizing death. Lesson learned. This is my second attempt and I picked up a bag of Expert Gardener Potting Soil at Wal-Mart. It's been seven weeks since they first popped out of the soil and now they range in height from 7-10 inches. I have 5 20W Floro's and 4 20W Floro Grow-Lights running 18/6. My fan blows directly on my babies 24 hours a day and they get fresh air all day long too. Next time I'm growing soil and going to try Hydro for the first time to see which one I like better. By the way, I'll be ordering a 400W HPS with an interchangable MH bulb in about 2 weeks so I can get more dense buds.

15. Mr. Wakenbake

^^me thinks you should master soil, before you jump up to hydro, cause trust me it's a grand canyon leap!^^^

16. $moke1

$moke1 Germinating

Thanks for the advice. I love reading what the experienced folks on here have to say. I read the FAQ's all the time but it's still good to get advice from an experienced grower.

17. meatwad

meatwad Veggy Stage

if you only knew how good shes looking, shes got about 3 weeks left.

18. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Here's what I like best.....

50/50 mix of my own compost and Black Gold soil - 75%

perlite - 25%

19. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

im tellin u, blak gold, mushroom compost and str8 homade compost is LITERALLY the SHIT!:punk: :punk:

gotta have perlite or youd have thick mud ;)

20. High4Life

High4Life New Sprout

Compost!

And I raise worms. You can take soil from your yard and raise worms in it for a year and it is the shit!

If not black kow!

+perlite and sand.