Room Climate Control Module Flexibility

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Ognennyy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

As soon as my outdoor plants go out, and before I put my next indoor plants into veg, I'm going to make some grow space modifications. My tentative plans hinge on two very important questions.

1) Are there whole room climate control modules that I can program to either a) turn the exhaust fans on for a given duration (such as 5 min) once per hour, or whatever interval and timings you choose, AND b) be set to turn on only when the temp / humidity reach certain levels?

The reason I ask is because I think I'm going to step up to CO2 supplementation for my next grow. For this next grow I'd like to keep the current ventilation system in place. That is, I don't want to leap to both CO2 supplementation and closed-loop air system at the same time. If possible, I'd like for the next grow to CO2 supplement with interval-based room exhaust. Then later on, upgrade the grow room yet again to be a completely sealed air space. To this end I don't want to spend $400-$500 on a room climate controller that can only accommodate one setup or the other, because it would essentially be wasted money.

2) How can I prevent backflow out my passive intakes, into the adjacent room? Right now it's not an issue because my exhaust (6" vortex inline fan) runs 24/7, pulling through the scrubber. So no air escapes into my room. But before I set it up that way, when the exhaust was only coming on when it got too hot in the room, smelly MJ air was flowing back out the passive intake ports into my room.

I mean I've seen check valves or dampers or whatever you call them in HVAC applications. But I'm not sure that they're intended for use in insulated ducting or in flexible ducting. What do ya'll use to prevent air backflow?

2. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

Just to quickly address your duct damper question. I suggest that you just install the flapper valve on a short section of ridgid duct. Connect the ridgid sections to you flex duct & you're done. I doubt you'll find the correct valve at Home Depot / Lowes though. Your best bet would be to locat a HVAC supply house nearby.

No FHE with climate control modules but I'd venture a guess that they aint gonna be cheap. You could prob. get by with a series of timers but it would take some doing to get set up.

I'm sure the correct answers will come shortly:idea:

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

[​IMG]

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=400+watt+hps+bulb&hl=en&sugexp=pfwl&tok=7Q3zf1KHkkHt4Fbrr72mgQ&ds=pr&cp=25&gs_id=37&xhr=t&q=spring+loaded+duct+damper&safe=off&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1279&bih=635&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1122606199151873159&sa=X&ei=h80ZT-u4H8eQiAfyvcybCw&sqi=2&ved=0CF4Q8wIwAA

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com/search?q=sentinel+chhc-4&hl=en&tbm=shop&aq=0&oq=sentinel+chh

The Sentinel CHHC-4 is what I use. I think it is exactly what you need. It can be set to control the Co2 and turn it off when your fans come on according to temp, also controls a heating device, and a dehumidifier if necessary. CHHC stands for cooling heating humidity and Co2.

There are other controllers depending on how much you want to spend. Anyway this should give yo an idea of what is out there.:passsit:

4. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

It's actually funny you mention that one Ras cuz it's exactly the one I've had my eye on for a while now. Only thing is, its product description doesn't mention if it has both the capabilities I'm after.

It doesn't matter anymore anyway. I've taken advice to prolong CO2 supplementation for a few more grows. When I'm ready to implement CO2 supplementation I'll probably just do it at the same time that I make the grow room a closed system, which will make climate controller set up much easier.

TY for the recommendations and direction on the dampers guys.

5. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

as far as for your heat there is the night/day thermostat. you can set it to cool or heat. (one or the other). and put your exhaust fan on it so when it gets past your set temp it turns on the fan. they run around $75

6. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Are you telling me that you had a closed loop system set up, with a scrubber pulling the grow room air and recirculating 24/7, and it wasn't enough to scrub all the stink outa the air?

Is that not solvable by increasing the rate of recirculation through the scrubber? If you think of dankity stankity air put out by our plants like BTUs of heat, but only BTUs of dankity stank, then it would make sense that to counteract that you only have to increase the volume and rate of air scrubbing taking place.

7. Ognennyy

Ognennyy Begun Flowering

Oh yeah I know that scrubbers do have a max CFM rating on them. Til I realized that I always used to wonder when I went in the hydro store why there were so many different scrubbers all of the same flange size. Oh well, tyvm for the input. Guess I'll worry about it when I get there.