Seedlings: Too much light?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by RecessionGrower, Jan 13, 2010.

1. I got my ak-48 seeds. I was gonna pop em and get em started. I was thinking would it be ok to put them in the corner of my grow room? Not under direct light obviously.

Also, before, I've always just put seedlings in soil. Would I be ok to put them in rapid rooters? Should I put them under my humidity dome for the first few days once they sprout?

2. bLITzkRIEg420

bLITzkRIEg420 sHAPesHIFTinG rEPTiLiAN

Put the seeds in distilled water and keep them in a warm place. As soon as they open plant them in soil (solo cups), CAREFULLY placing the white tap-root down. Put the cups (light not important) in a warm place. If you have a seedling heat mat, use it. Soak the soil with distilled water and cover the solo cup with a clear sandwich bag to make a green house effect. As soon as your seedlings come up leave them in the cup with the bag on for a few more days before you uncover them. Every so often take the bags off and let some air get to the soil. works for me.

3. bLITzkRIEg420

Direct HID lighting will not be good for "seedlings"... At least wait for your 1st node before they go under a HID.

4. bLITzkRIEg420

I personally think a (6,500k) CFL is all you really need for young healthy plants.

5. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

your not going to require domes the the seed sprouts----people use different ways to do this but for me i use distiled water always and use the white paper towel method to (crack) the seeds----i fold my towel in fourths and add enough water to just moisten the towel/add my seeds and fold --put it loosely in sandwich bag and toss up on my t.v. cable box cause its warm---next day i usually got a few roots poking out----now i prep my peat pellets with distilled water and once they swell i poke a tiny tiny hole in the top where i carefully place the seed root point down and cover like 1/8 inch with the peat and then ill prep my( solo cups)--ill put a mild soil mix about 1/2 way up in each and place my peat pucks in on top and back fill level with soil----i take all my cups and toss em in a 2in deep plastic tray to catch any water that my leak when watering later on and they go under 6 small compact flouresents for two wks---never over watering------then i transfer right to the veg room where they chill under the 400 watt mh for another 2 wks---then they get transplanted into 3 1/2 gal grow bags with nice organic mix and wait for yet 2 more wks before moved to the flower room-----many ways of doing things though-----good luck with the grow.

6. The thing is im switching to full on hempy, I didnt really want to mess around with soil. I use the paper towel method to pop seeds, then i was going to put them into rapid rooters, put them in the corner of the room where they wont get direct light, and then transport them into hempy cups once they have some roots

7. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

RG that will be fine. Myself I use rockwool instead of the RR plugs but Ive heard of plenty of people using them. It will be just fine. Peace

8. I have a bunch of RR's laying around that's why I was gonna use em

9. rollin2techno

rollin2techno cL053t Gr0w3r

I have my seedlings growing their 3rd set of leaves now and they were cracked with a 1/2" tap root and planted on 1/5. I immediately put them under 115 5500K CFL's.

Once they fully grew their 1st set of leaves I have them under 12hrs 400w HPS (rather close I must say) and 12hrs 115W CFL. (I have a big girl I just switched to 12/12 a week ago so I take the seedlings out before shutting the HPS off for the night).

As long as the temps are not too hot....!

10. bLITzkRIEg420

virago420 do you treat the rockwool with anything 1st?

I have also heard it would be good to soak the crap out of the RR Plugs 1st as well. Soak them for at least 24 hours in distilled and the sqeeze them out and re-soak them then to the tray... I have only ever used RR Plugs once for clones and will never do that again. I go strait to soil now with cuttings.

11. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

All I do is soak them in pH adjusted water before I use them. After soaking them I give them a few good shakes to remove excess water, punch a hole straight through with a nail and insert my seed.

12. Yeah, I soak my RR's before use. I would put them in my cloning area, but right now its just staying too cold in there and I dont want to risk losing them

13. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

RRs are the shit! I have never presoaked them or anything unless they dried out over time(which only happened once). I just pull them out of the bag and the moisture is right on to place a seedling or cutting in. Rockwool is more of a pain in the ass and I did have to soak them. Had a lot more dampening off problems with rockwool aswell, but mainly due to erratic humidity.

Just put them in the plugs and let them develop a little bit. Then put them in small hempy cups about 10-20ozs. That should be more than enough for the first few weeks.

14. Thanks guys! I started germ'ing the seeds pretty much after I got them. I also got some free sam the skunkman haze x skunk #1 I'm debating germing, but everything else I have is a 7/8 week strain, not sure how much an 11/12 week strain will throw me off

15. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

well....... same diff just sub the soil for perlite vermiculite mix in the solo cups--again good luck bro.

16. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

To the OP(RG) just so you know the vermiculite isn't even a necessity. Even on the small cups. I've used 100% perlite many times with no problems. So it's up to you if you want to do that. One problem quite a few people have is locating the vermiculite.

17. Less then 24 hrs and 3 of 10 beans i put down have cracked! With 5 different strains i ALMOST want to start trying to cross breed some things, Damnit this hobby can get to be extensive!

18. I have actually never used the vermiculite. The only times I've seen it is in small bags, and quite expensive. My first 2 runs I used nothing but "horticultural grade" perlite from the local nursery. For this run I switched to fox farms big and chunky perlite that I got a deal on. I tried rinsing out the old smaller perlite and its a PITA after a grow. Im hoping the big and chunky will be a little easier to reuse

19. wwboy

wwboy pro grow!

wwboy

hey i was just thinking---here in mi alot of older houes have insulation inbetween the floor joists in the attics--looks like sprayed in vermiculite--anyone know if it is or just looks likesame stuff??????--my moms old house had a ton of it.