Proxy IP vs Stealing Nieghbors IP

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by nippie, Mar 13, 2011.

1. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Was wonder, what's everyone's feelings on hiding IP's?

Are most like me and find a neighbor with an unsecured wireless?

Or do some go through the trouble of Proxy?

Edit, Iwould not recommend using other's IPs... just trying to get the conversation started about tracing IP in states and countries that are the Kindest to folks who share a love of a great plant.

2. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Stealing a neighbors internet signal is highly illegal and a good way to get yourself caught. A proxy is simple and not illegal, not that you need it in the first place to be safe.

3. nippie

LL420,

I should have added a smiley face. Was said tongue in check.

No, I guess I was more interested in security when posting pics. Wanna show off a couple things but worried about IP getting out there.

Proxy is easy enough to set up, but how secure is it really? Chatting is one thing, pictures are another, if you know where I'm coming from.

4. LionLoves420

Pictures and speech on the internet are protected the same way. If the cops are looking at your IP, you are already fucked.

5. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

If you got cops n DEA lookin for additional info on YOU, strictly by way of the net or GK.........Then your already severly screwed!!! All any of this would be is additional evidence to an already built case

This place is the last of your worries in the case of postin a pic

I mean how many folks have been posting grows for over 10 years? I know of 20 right away......and theyre still walkin free

6. nippie

lol,

Thanks I needed that, was just worried about things after watching how people are using photos on FB (the little numbers and letters assoc) to track where pic was taking and robbing housing while they knew people were away.

I know most cops aren't the smartest peanuts in the turd, but I'm sure they would be able to do the same.

So would a proxy cover that?

I know a little about computers, but not a techie that can figure out things like that.

7. nippie

lol,

Thanks I needed that, was just worried about things after watching how people are using photos on FB (the little numbers and letters assoc) to track where pic was taking and robbing housing while they knew people were away.

I know most cops aren't the smartest peanuts in the turd, but I'm sure they would be able to do the same.

So would a proxy cover that?

I know a little about computers, but not a techie that can figure out things like that.

8. LionLoves420

Posting a grow pic on Facebook, or from FB, is a retarded thing to do because it does connect a real life person to the picture. Either use this sites upload options or a site like tinypic.com to host and you have no reason to worry about your IP.

Also, the only thing you can get from an IP is city, state, and country. Its not like I can look up your IP and get your home address.

9. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

If you are using a smart phone to take your pics you can disable the GPS location details. Should make things a little safer for you.

Personally i dont want GPS info on any of my pics.

10. nippie

Maybe the mods can answer this,

What if any information can be gained from pix?? Can someone read even camera profile from pix here on GK?

Sorry about the noidness, just now I have more to worry about than myself.

11. nippie

ofo,

Everysite is diff from my understanding, you can correct me if I'm wrong.

I have some sites that I post tech data on for work that actually lists IP address with each posting.

All sites keep track I believe so they can expel people, if not, then you would just re-register under new name.

I'm sure GK would keep such info under the tightest of wraps, but was wondering if a digital print is left on photos here. Lot's of sites have this.

(I.E. Uploaded 1-1-11 from G.W. Bush's camera)

I haven't seen this here, just asking to make sure I don't make a stupid amateur mistake, for us old folks, we all know a dumb ass that took pictures and had them devol. at PhotoHut and got busted.

12. LionLoves420

I will try to find the thread where I answered this question and showed my legal research, but I honestly can't remember which one it was in. I will work on getting that link in a few.

13. nippie

LL,

Thanks in advance.

14. LionLoves420

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Pics that are uploaded to your GK gallery do not have personal info outside of member association attached. No personal info or IP is attached.

When it comes to posting info or documenting grows: Please remember, we have members who are no longer actively growing, some growing legally and others who are still living in high risk areas and growing. Each members' level of security on what they post must be arrived at independently. While no U.S. or Canadian based site or forum can 100% guarantee that a subpoena for information will not ever be served I will point out that even after the blow up of OverGrow most of the notable growers on that site can still be found actively growing and selling beans elsewhere on the net.

You're much more likely to be recognized by a neighbor or friend than anything else by posting online. The legal risk is minimal IMHO.

16. SteelCity Smoker

SteelCity Smoker To Be Continued

I second what the rest are saying. If you don't feel comfortable don't post. Proxy's aren't fool proof they aren't randomly generated they're just a redirecting jump off. You will get busted from your closest friend getting pinched with a sack and pointing you out before GK brings the Heat. When it comes to the internet if someone is trained and determined this site will not stop them they will not subpeona shit they'll be on the server get what they need and keep on moving up the line. Luckily the ppl that do things like this for a living are more interested in muslim extremeists than you and your plants. The time and resources it would take to track you down aren't worth your local dept expenditures. Besides most LEO are looking for the money since they can keep it and add it to the budget but the weed will just sit then be destroyed. Just my 2 cents...Steelcity

17. LionLoves420

A good knowledge of networking, a pimp computer, some programs, and a network of other computers doing the same thing.....at the basic.....but it isn't worth the time and money for what we are doing.