Fear of fires

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by BC Kid, Mar 9, 2006.

1. BC Kid

BC Kid Begun Flowering

So somtimes i freak out and get a little paronoid about my closet set up. Not so much the cops, but more so the fear of starting fires. Anybody else get this from time to time?

2. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

It is not good to 2nd guess yourself on growing.. If your wiring is done correctly and all up to snuff you should have no proplems on the electrical end of things, however if your light falls or CO2 gen falls do to incompitant hanging then a fire is possible, if you are running hydro make sure all wires and connections away from water. other than that I do see how a fire could start.. :)

3. BC Kid

BC Kid Begun Flowering

Well i am confident my wiring is done correct, caps, ground and corect wire to wire connectionsl. But what do you mean by CO2 gen? Sorry im new to the garden forgive me. Other then that im just worried about heat from the ballest, light. That sort of stuff.

4. greenthumbdanny

Carbon Dioxide Enrichment will dramatically increase the growth of green plants. Green plants use carbon dioxide ( CO2 ) and water in the presence of light to synthesize organic compounds. The plant then converts these organic compounds into elements that it can use (food). This process is called photosynthesis. If any of these ingredients ( CO2, water or light ) are at levels below what the plant can use for maximum efficiency, it will only be able to perform at that level and no greater. Adding carbon dioxide to a growing environment that is not receiving proper nutrients or is low on light will not produce the desired results. Similarly, plants that are receiving plenty of sunshine and nutrients will only perform as well as the ambient level of CO2 will allow. The ambient level of CO2 in the earth's atmosphere is generally between 300 and 600 ppm. Most plants receive far more water and energy in the form of sunshine than they can use. Increasing the CO2 in the growing area will let the plant use the excess water and energy that is stored in the leaves. The result is a substantial increase in the growth rate of any plant that uses chlorophyll in the process of photosynthesis. Enrichment should commence at sunrise or when photoperiod begins and refrain during darkness hours. The average CO2 level that is recommended is 1000 to 2000 parts per million (PPM). The object is to maintain a constant level in the atmosphere. You can run a small unit continuously during photoperiods or you can use a larger unit and time it to function periodically. Where exhaust requirements are frequent, the latter method is preferable. After the exhaust function the generator can be cycled to replenish CO2 quickly to maintain rapid plant photosynthesis. Use the operation time charts to determine the size of generator and the number of minutes of operation required for the level of CO2 desired. Frequency of recharge depends on the rate of consumption. For the greatest fuel economy and accuracy of recharge it is recommended that the Green Air Products CO2 Monitor Controller (CDMC) be used with all generator and emitter systems.

Heat from your lamp will not start a fire. However I would not recomend putting a 1000 watt HPS in a closet. If heat is that much from your lamp and ballast your plant will die from heat stress if thats the case move the ballast out of the closet and get some sort of ventilation with ducting going..

5. BC Kid

BC Kid Begun Flowering

Well thank you for the time and effort to explain that to me. Ok so I have a 400 w hps lamp in a 7 by maybe 3 feet wide and deep. The ballest is in the closet elavated one foot off the floor on a large brick, and does feel hot. Im sure the heat from the ballest is normal but you still sugest i take it ot of the grow area? The temp is a consistant 70-75 F.

6. greenthumbdanny

That is a good temp if its staying there and no hotter if it gets hotter take the ballest out of the grow, or run your lights at nite time instead of the day time that will decrease temp. The Brick is warm because it draws the heat out of the ballast.

7. Randy High

Randy High Organic Alumni

Vent

I am of the same mind.

I force air cool the light and the ballast is also cooled.

8. jwmoregon

jwmoregon Full Flowering

Better to be overly concerned/paranoid when it comes to fire, they can be ugly!

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill A Fat Sticky Bud

Hey the whole nature of the hobby is a risk. I've felt the same way but take the gamble anyway. Setting the ballast on a brick is a good idea. I do a similar thing with stone. Also have a fan blowing on the ballast. It can be the one blowing over the plants. If you're diligent you minimize the risk and the payoff is worth it.