Did anyone feel the earthqake in the Midwest?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Shadowman, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Shadowman

Shadowman Full Flowering

Yea, this happened just about an hour ago. I was trying out some new weed we bought today. I heard what I took for thunder and earlier in the night I checked the weather. They had taken the rain for tonight out of the forecast and I was kinda cussin them out under my breath. I was just sitting there playing the absolutely most stupid game on the web. It was fucking stupid!!! I digress just after I heard the thunder the floor starting shaking under me. I looked at the doobie I was hitting on and I though "Gawddamm!"
    No. No body rush. It was the real deal. I've never felt one before. I could tell where a violent earthquake could scare the hell out of someone. I was sitting at my desk and I noticed that the tea I had in my glass was sloshing around. I can say that in a way I was a little afraid, but mostly because after I realized what was going on, I though about the New Madrid Fault and hoped like hell that wasn't the case. I know that privacy is tantamount, but I'll give you a rough idea, I live withing a 200 mile radius of the epicenter. That was a very spiritual moment for me, they are very rare around here, so a halfway decent little jolt is a welcome distraction. I think I'd rather take my chances in tornado alley. Sorry about the rant...(I'm in my manic stage. I get a bit weird sometimes) I'd like to hear from people in earthquake prone areas and how you all deal with it and stuff. I'd like to know.

2. hygrade

hygrade _________________________

i'm not too far from you shadow,i missed the whole thing.i guess i was sleeping pretty good(thanks weed!).the idea does scare the shit out of me though.these old houses aren't built to take all that shaking and twisting.with my luck i'm just suprised the front wall of my house didn't fall down and have me trapped under 3 flowering plants and a 400 watt hps for the authorities to find and rescue me all the way to the closest sallyport.well,here's hoping all the gk familia in the area made it through ok.i shall now put fire to this bowl in commemoration of the great midwest quake of '08 and hope for no encores

3. dooobster

dooobster A Fat Sticky Bud

Earthquake

I'm in the midwest also, but I'm far enough from the epicenter that I didn't feel it. However, growing up in Southern Cali, I've felt several tremors in my time, and you're right, it's pretty surreal... especially before you really figure out whats going on... it's crazy!

4. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Earthquakes are kinda fun if you ask me..... :)

Ride the wave man...ride the wave! :scream:

5. Shadowman

Shadowman Full Flowering

I thought it was fun, too. Around here they are always talking about the New Madrid fault. It had a series of quakes in 1811 and 12. Some were so powerful that they change the flow of the Mississippi River. They talk like if they were to have the same event today, it would be goodbye to St. Louis and Memphis. That was the only scary part for me. Left me a bit jumpy. My wife lived in Oregon and they always asked her how she could live in the Midwest with all those tornadoes. She was afraid of the mudslides. She said she never felt an earthquake there. I even heard the rumble right before the quake hit. I don't think we would be in the main damage area if the fault gave, but we would get shook up pretty good, but Jesus! What happens if it damages the home of my beloved St. Louis Cardinals baseball stadium? Oh, the humanity! :flipando:

6. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I've felt my fair share of quakes out here in Cali, but the strongest was one I felt while on vacation in Seattle of all places. I happened to be on the 4th floor of an 8 story apartment building downtown when it hit.....I thought for sure we were gonna get pancaked. The funny thing is....we were playing Jenga at the time and it was MY turn.....wouldn't ya know it.....the damn quake made me lose! :angry:

7. PurePlaya420

PurePlaya420 Full Flowering

I must be in the same area as yall then to. Everyone at work was talking about it. A lady who works with me said it knocked out her electric for the block. I didnt feel anything although id prolly sleep through a police raid and wake up in jail wondering wtf I did last night lol!

8. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

The midwest!!!!!! DAMN i thought me and the mrs were being quiet:sex: aswell trying not to wake the kids:roflmao::tvlaugh:

9. PurePlaya420

PurePlaya420 Full Flowering

Might as well go and confess about hurricane katrina to TA! LOL

10. TheApprentice

TheApprentice Retired.

Oh hell that was a night i'll never forget!

11. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

i was about 500 miles from a quake, when i was stationed in cali. hanging plants swayed, and i could feel the motion, like sitting on a water bed. it wasnt scarry, but it was strange. i heard about that fault in the mid west, on the history channel. they predict a big one there. good luck. if i lived near a fault like that:yikes: peace.

12. Shadowman

Shadowman Full Flowering

Best blow job of all times, hey TA?

13. Dazechain

Dazechain Cured Fat Sticky Bud

...trapped under 3 flowering plants...

...I could think of worse predicaments...

...In fact...you could even throw the 400 watter on me...I'd survive...
    :) ...

...all in a daze earthquake...

...ridin' the wave...and then some...

...DC...:XXsunsmile::new_scatter:

14. Shadowman

Shadowman Full Flowering

Just tell them the shit must have bounced over from one of your neighbors. :laughing5:

I read they are now predicting a quake along the same fault line in the near future. Something around magnitude 7. The Wabash faultline is not that far from the New Madrid. Hmmmm. I wonder if a big quake on one fault could trigger a big quake on another one. That would shake things up!

15. "The Master"

"The Master" Time Lord

I heard about it when I woke up at work, and lied to my shift mates that I did :) "Did you guy's feel that earth quake?" "No!" Well, I did. :qbluewacko:

Slept like a BABY in Ohio :suave: "I LOVE being paid to sleep :love4: . "