The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by AverageJoe, Jul 5, 2009.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

I recently performed a simple experiment on some clones. It consisted of 11 clones. Would've been 12 even, but I kept one out for a new mom. I wanted to compare the yield from topped versus not topped plants. During veg, I took half of them (5) and topped them. I cut off the main growth tip on each one, which resulted in 2 main growth tips per plant: the two new tips where I topped and in a couple cases, the next node down which had a chance to catch up after the top. The other 6 plants, I left alone with the one main growth tip. All of them were put into 400 w flower at about 6" in height, and stayed in fairly small 2.7 quart pots. FFOF soil w/ Metanaturals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My "last fucking place" pic from the July calendar contest. :finger:
    [​IMG]

Day 40
    [​IMG]

Harvest day
    Random untopped girl. I'm definitely showing my age on the CD selections :laughing1:
    [​IMG]

Topped
    [​IMG]
    :lol1: Iron Man just came on the XM :headbang9:

So here are the results:

A few notes about the below pic and my weighing methods.
    ~ Unless noted, all numbers are grams. The ounces weights I listed is just because I easily identify with ounces more than grams and it was just for additional visual.
    ~ Instead of doing a traditional cut and hang dry, then trim; I fine trimmed everything straight away and weighed wet.
    ~ I recorded each plants wet harvest weight and came up with a total for each category. Topped/Not Topped. Then I combined everything, took a total wet weight to doublecheck my numbers, then dried normally.
    ~ Using the commonly thrown around number of 70% moisture loss, for fun I estimated what the final weight would be.
    ~ Once dried, I took a total dry weight.
    ~ I calculated the percentage of loss from wet to dry, which in this case was 73%. I was close.
    ~ Since I didn't have an exact dry weight for each plant, I applied a loss of 73% to each plants wet weight and came up with an estimated final dry weight. Each plants actual dry weight may be off by a gram or two either way, but its really close.

[​IMG]

~ Because there is six of one and five of the other, I looked more at the averages. Overall the yield was almost identical across the board.
    ~ The topped plants came out just a hair higher.
    ~ The final average grams per plant came out exactly the same.

[​IMG]

So what did I learn? I know this experiment has most likely been performed countless times and I don't expect to have any super surprising or groundbreaking results but I found the results very interesting.

Based on this one experiment, in my grow closet, with whatever strain this is, using clones, there was no noticeable difference in yield between topping and not. Each plant produced the same amount of bud whether it was mostly concentrated in one cola, or distributed between 3 or 4 tops. However, the untopped plants took up less space in the oven and were easier to trim.

Please judge the numbers for yourself......and feel free to critique my results.

Question:
    My grams per watt is low at .3, but I was only using slightly less than half of my floor space. If I had doubled the amount of plants form 11 to say 20 and filled my whole space, should I have expected double the harvest, and subsequently double the grams per watt?

:passit:

2. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

Nice job Joe for somebody that came in last place on the july calendar.-Bud

P.S. So are you going to top or not

3. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

Joe thats a great test for everyone to think about.....I tend to top my plants, now im thinking other wise....I guess i never really thought bout the rounder space they do take up, lessening the amount of lil bit taller plants but more plants in my spaces.......I think next round im guna do 20 untopped in my flower instead of 10-12 topped........Thanks Joe:passit:

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Interestingly enough Bud....I have 10 more establishing right now that I will not top this time and I'll see how I do, but the better comparison on this round will be to see if my brand new 70 effin dollar bulb with the 30% more blue, blah blah blah makes a noticable difference versus a 2 year old generic bulb. :icon_scratch:

5. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

nice 1

Thanks for taking the time to do this experiment, Joe. :thumbsup:

The only time I ever top is to keep veg'lings under control size-wise 'in a pinch'. :growin:

6. choker

choker HIDING OUT

I would love to see a study on topped plants grown from seed and not topped. I am not a fan of topping. I hear so much about how great it is. When i have topped i grew less weed from a topped plant.

7. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

I think you'll see a difference with the new bulb I don't like to top but I do pinch I like to get big buds-Bud

8. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

Great experiment. I love the way you went about it and the data presentation.

I don't top, but rather tie down to keep the plants short.

9. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Cool stuff AJ, very interesting! Thanks so much for sharing with pics :) This is something I am interested in as well...

Hi Alien! You are like herpes, keep popping up every once in a while...but in a good way! Great to see you!

10. stickyicky24

stickyicky24 Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Cool experiment Joe:thumbsup: Thanks for taking the time. I guess my only question would be how much of the non-topped plants weight was confined to the main cola, and how much was in popcorn. I personally don't top (not that I've had much of a chance only on my 2nd indoor grow) but from what I've heard from others they don't do it to increase weight by all that much but rather to increase main cola's and avoid all the popcorn bud. I guess you would have to decide if it's worth it if you got more potent crown nugs.

11. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Formatting is concise and easy to interpret. I see all those PITA management meetings have paid off on your presentation skills. Thanx Joe for the work you put in. If not groundbreaking it's certainly helpful and gives some thought to the practice.

FIMMing helps me keep a nice canopy. Tooooooo lazy to spend alot of time tieing and pinching. Glad to know I'm not doing damage to yield. Your work exemplifies that yield is more dependent upon root and stem development rather than number bud sites.

Thanks again.

cheers,

12. Tex-Elektric-Bud

Tex-Elektric-Bud Journey man sparky

great job laying that out Joe!!, i'm growing 5 from seed and topped 3 yesterday and left two alone, i was kinda doing the same thing as you, just seeing if my yield increases on the topped plants vrs. the non topped. I'm pinching and beating on the ladies a bit to strenghten stems and bush them out. i'm glad u took the time to go through with all that data. thx!!

13. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

:rofl: