Attic Grow Insulation?

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Canada_Dry, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Canada_Dry

Canada_Dry Developed Alternating Nodes

Hello,

I'm thinking of starting a new grow in the attic. My attic is like yours, cold in the winter and hot in the summer. What is my best choice for insulation? I was thinking of having a roof exhaust fan installed just for the box but what about intake? Would some kind of insulation in the walls of the box help keep it cool or would that have the opposite effect with that hot light in there.

Thanks,

CD

2. chopstick

chopstick Chilled out

I don't know much about attics but isn't yours insulated already? probibly only the floor of the attic, which is the ceiling of your home right? I'm not sure where you live and if it gets quite cold there where you live but insulating the attic is a good idea to keep temps up there level (the same more or less all year round) Insulating will help keep it from getting too hot in the summer too, vice vera in the winter. You'll use exaust and fans to keeps within your control, dehumidifyer might be nessary in a closed space, I use one. I would bring in fresh air to your grow area by attaching a vent tube to your home central heating/cooling system with a inline fan, this way you can control temp by using your thermostat down stairs. Then exaust through a carbon filter before discharging outside, either though your chimney or existing vent slots in the roof.

Like I said I don't have an attic, so I'm only going by what I've seen when I've lived abroad. But It is more of les how I would do it.

3. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

^^^good advice^^ but if it was me i would vent through the shit pipe...