The Ufo Has Landed!

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Dixie Hicky, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Well, folks...for better or worse, having given the matter quite some thought....I aquired the GROWUFO LED light.

I figure...IF the nay-sayers are right,at least I will have a bodacious light for VEGing, costing a bunch less for electricity. IF, on the other hand, the manufacturer aint lying and the little booger does work fine for flowering, too....then HOOHAH, it will be clear the new LED advances are the wave of the future....

For sure it's the coolest looking little thing...weighs six pounds, requires nothing more taking it out of the box, hanging it up and plugging it in. It gives off this beautiful pink/purple light and does look pretty much like a flying saucer. NO detectable heat, at all.

Well...JERONIMO! Wish me luck...gulp.

Dixie

2. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

I hope you didn't have to pay for it

3. smurf420

smurf420 Ganja Connoisseur

how much was it and do u got a pic

4. ChronixGrower11

ChronixGrower11 Burning in Lasagna Hell

Just looked that up! Let me know how it goes. Sounds sweet!

5. Dixie Hicky

UFO landed...

Since it's a little early for Santa Clause and they dont grow on trees, yes I paid for it.

Have you used one? Know anybody who has used one?

Dixie

6. Dixie Hicky

UFO landed...

7. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

no but I have read countless threads about it and the it isn't good for flowering. either way good luck and if possible post some pics when ya have it going

8. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Hopefully you bought the new 270w one, not the 90watt. =\

9. Dixie Hicky

Dont I WISH! The SuperNova 270 costs 1400 bucks. That's way outa my price range.

I got the 90w. Will I be sorry?

Dixie

10. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

IMHO yes, but you can grow 1 good plant with it so im told?

11. BlazeOne

BlazeOne Pothead Extraordinaire

12. Dixie Hicky

Ufo

Well ya know...ONE good White Widow would make the cost worthwhile to me, at least. Eternal optimist, Im still hoping for the manufacturers promise to "take your plants from vegetative thru flowering with astonishing results". They say the UFO will grow tomatoes and orchids...which is fine, but WHO would spend 550 bucks to grow fricking tomatoes, for god's sake? ORCHIDS, maybe.

But, hey, Im also the gal who ordered The Abominizer because they promised to "give those washboard abs you've always wanted!" Alas...my abs bear no resemblance to a washboard... In other words, my optimism only slightly outweighs my skepticism regarding products and their claims of excellence.

So, Im working on Plan B, LOL. I feel confident the UFO will get me thru veging and by then I'll be ready to shift into Plan B. Im not exactly sure yet what Plan B will be...but several options are buzzing around in my head. Perhaps I can turn The Abdominizer into a handy dandy light source.....hmmmmm.

Im kind of afraid ot serious HPS systems...they sound complicated, energy hogging and kind of dangerous. It would help if I could actually SEE one, not just pictures, to allay my phobia, I guess. Ive had this weird fear of electricity ever since I stuck a fork into a toaster to retreive a stuck piece of toast when I was about nine. Sounds stupid, I know, but there it is. Some people fear snakes, spiders or heights. Me, I fear electricity. Id rather put a few rattlesnakes in my pantyhose than deal with some big monster light.

What can I say. Im not even crazy about changing a burned-out 40 watt lightbulb, Im serious. bUT CRAZY PHOBIAS ASIDE, reading about HPS and MH lights is very confusing. ballasts and bulbs and watts...oh my. If anybody can de-mystify me,I'd be much beholden.

Dixie

13. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

The only plan B is a 400w HPS. Bite the bullet!

If you have 20 seedlings coming that light isnt going to veg them. It should veg 4 - 6 ok. Its never going to flower them. Tomatoes and Orchids require a lot less light than MJ does in flower. Thats the problem!

HPS are safe and require no wiring. They come with a sealled ballast that plugs into the light and the other end in the wall. Simples!

a 400w HPS will flower 6 big WW for you. With some lst you could easily get 10 1 foot colas. The UFO isnt going to give you 1 one foot cola.

14. TheFomorian

TheFomorian Neo-Shaman

The HID lighting is pretty simple. You've got a box (ballast) and a hanging thing (reflector). Box connects to outlet and to reflector (containing socket), reflector connects to ceiling. I'm not being sarcastic here, it's pretty simple though it can seem complicated when reading about it.

Of course, it gets more complicated when you have to deal with environmental controls, fans, etc.

My flower room is a kitchen pantry (3'w x 6'l x 10'h or so) and the door is left open. I have a box fan and an ionic fan to keep the air circulating, so no messing with intake/exhaust and ducting hooked to reflectors. I've got a 600W and 400W hps in there. I use an Ozn-Jr. for smell control and shut the door/kill the lights when people come by.

What kind of space do you have? What are your stealth requirements?

If you can return that UFO, I would. 400W is drawing less power than a coffee maker, and the initial cost is less than half that of the UFO and you'll definately notice it in your yield (from what I have heard). Plus, I could drop my reflector and likely only have to shell out $20-60 for a new bulb. Try that with the UFO unit.

If you're going to grow indoors, you'll have to work on that fear of electricity. Cramped spaces, shifting light levels, heat, hanging shit, sloshing water, plugs/cables. My floor in there is lined with ShamWows, and if a cop shined his light into my eyes I wouldn't even blink at this point.

15. big t double

big t double i finally changed this

so sham-wows really work????????i want some badly......didnt that sham-wow guy get arrested for beatin up on his ol lady.

anyways.......co-sign.....invest in an hps....... i started out with a small 250 watt but moved up to a 400 within six months.......i jus dont think that 90 watts of led light is gonna do much.......good luck tho, hope ya get ta post some pics.

16. WiZaRD

I would send it back, get my refund, and chalk up my losses. Then check with the people on this forum before making any purchases like that again. If you can't get a refund, sell it on eBay and take your losses. OR, TRY it, see what kind of yield you get, post the results, and if it's not what you wanted, sell it as used on eBay.

17. WiZaRD

what are the lumens output?

18. TheFomorian

TheFomorian Neo-Shaman

Not sure about the beating, but I love that guy.

The ShamWows work for soaking up liquid, but I wouldn't use it like a paper towel. My bro-in-law gave me one and I instantly thought about putting them on the growroom floor cause I spill often, so I got a box. For me, it was worth the $20.

19. MICROBEAT

MICROBEAT Germinating

LEDs work.

post pics of your UFO grow!