Glenn Beck Advocates Marijuana Legalization

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Midnight Garden, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

2. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

He still takes it up the ass.

He realizes what alot of ppl do; reguardless of political stance.

Had you noticed how he mocked the victimless crime point?

From the start, he calmly slammed The President for not commiting.

He's still, and always will be, a fucking douchebag, alcoholic, zookeeper.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

There's a real under current of ideological conservatives who take the same position. You'd be really surprised. It simply goes without saying that if a person is a Jeffersonian conservative they must be against Prohibition, as we know it today, to remain true to their guiding principle regarding State's Rights. Chief Justice William Rehnquist, Clarence Thomas and Justice O'Connor (all conservative) agree with the principle of this in Raich vs Gonzales.

For libertarian or conservative politicians and show guys there's Glen Beck, Jason Lewis, John Stossel, William Buckley, Andrew Napolitano (FoxNews), John Dennis (who ran as a Repub against Pelosi), Sean Bielat (ran against Barney Frank in Mass.), Grover Norquist (president of Americans for Tax Reform), Gary Johnson (Republican former governor of New Mexico), Milton Friedman, George Shultz, Congressman Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), former Republican congressman and 2008 Pres candidate Tom Tancredo,...and this is only a partial list.

Sarah Palin of all people, while opposed to legalization, has called pot a relatively “minimal problem,” quoted from Fox Business Network;

My favorite is still a quote from William F. Buckley who had argued the merits of legalization over the years. He made fun of those who called marijuana a gateway to addiction by saying it was;

Not saying the repub party is better or worse in aiding our position than the dems. It's just that the myopic general vision of Liberal helps us and Conservatives are against us the Pro Legalization crowd still maintains is no longer valid.

4. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

The republicans are staying quiet on the mj issue. Not a topic at all they are still trying to plan a way for a corporation to have full control of mj so they can control all profits:roffl: :roffl: :roffl: :roffl: :roffl:

t6

5. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

I'm really disappointed Mr A, I would have expected you to tell us how you really feel. :roffl: :roffl: :roffl:

6. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

That is a personal lifestyle choice. Who are we to criticize.

Shows that there is hope for the hopeless.

His point was that it is not a victimless crime BECAUSE it is illegal. With the Mexican Drug Cartels involved, there are many victims. By making it legal, the violence associated with marijuana distribution and sales would mostly go away.

Rightfully so.

Again, that's a personal lifestyle choice.

7. Stash2.0

Stash2.0 Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Refute the fact that he is a fear mongering Hypocrite...

8. AlienBait

Cannot be done. That is what he is paid to be.

9. ResinRubber

T6- The conservatives I listed are openly in favor of legalization. None have purported an affiliation toward corporate control nor have the come out against corporate manufacturing or distribution. They are indifferent on the subject. Their positions range from a failed policy, alternative to current efforts in reducing border crime, State's Right's for self determination to it's an abhorrent concept to infringe one's morality upon another where it has no impact.

The assumption you're making in linking them to corp puppets is dem union talk that really has no bearing in this case. If you want to examine the link between MMJ or legalization for med use to big corp or big pharm all we need to do is recall the New Jersey MMj bill passed in 2010. The influence of big pharm is obvious when looking at the supply and distributions as originally legislated. That bill carried little Repub support (fuckers!) and was backed largely by the state congressional Democrats. You tell me who sold out to whom? You keep looking at it along party lines and that's a narrow focus that serves us poorly.

MrA. and Stash- So Beck's a packaged fucktard, big deal. Has the cause of ending Prohibition become so powerful we can pick and choose who carries our message? I'll take any messenger at this point. He is still listened to by many on the other side of the MJ legalization fence and his support can aid our cause by educating or voicing an alternative position than the one they have become accustomed to.

A case of the messenger is a dolt so we don't care if he reaches people or not. Cut off your nose to spite your face much?

10. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Pretty sure the main character from Sling Blade wouldn't have cared who smoked pot or not, but I wouldn't want him representing the cause.

11. AlienBait

Those that follow Glenn Beck and take him seriously are generally anti-marijuana. So, if their "leader" states that MJ should be legalized, perhaps that will change a few minds for the better.

12. ResinRubber

Where the hell did that come from? Introducing socially marginalized mentally twisted fictional characters as an argument concerning viability of anti-Prohibition message carriers? Really? Seriously? You stoned Lion?

13. LionLoves420

That would be the ideal result, but a doubtful one. So many of his viewers are baby boomers anyway, I am not sure he'll help at all. Beck does nothing unless it benefits himself, and this is just another angle he is pitching, though I admit I am not sure why yet.

14. LionLoves420

Duh. I am stoned, are you? I was trying to use a hyperbole to make a point, which is usually what I do.

When Glenn Beck just decides we should legalize marijuana, something is up.

15. ResinRubber

Sadly...no brotha. Right now on the band wagon is on the band wagon as far as I'm concerned. If he finds a way to benefit, so be it. I don't begrudge Richard Lee for making a killing in Oakland and wouldn't begrudge Beck finding a way to gain from an anti-Prohibition stance. If he moves the line an inch further to our side it's still a gain for us..

I don't have to like him to realize benefit. BTW...he's been against the current war on drugs for several years now.

16. LionLoves420

As he should be as he claims to be a libertarian. However, I found a clip from his show from the last election when Cali tried to legalize and tax marijuana. The whole time he says stuff like "pot destroys your lungs, stupid people smoke pot," and makes stupid jokes about the munchies. He also suggested that if you smoke pot you shouldn't have healthcare among other things.

To make the flip from that to full on legalization.....

(It should be noted that Beck is a known and admitted past pot user)

17. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

Fuck Glenn Beck...

that's all I have...

oh wait a minute, even if he does agree with a "normal" veiw that does not undue the amount of hatred he has caused in this country with his shows, so yea I'll go with "fuck Glenn Beck"

18. ResinRubber

You guys are funny. No wonder the cause gets upended. Even when a supporter surfaces they need to pass a litmus test.

He's not being elected to office. He's simply a voice outside our normal realm of supporters who has an audience that is finally hearing something different than "pot melts your brain and leads to heroin addiction". I know my folks and their friends listen to him and if he says it it carries more weight with them than somebody like me or literature from NORML. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

19. LionLoves420

To use Beck's favorite allusion: That is like saying we would be OK with Hitler being a public advocate for marijuana reform and legalization. Who cares what else he says, he is on our side this time!

You know Hitler had to come up sometime, I mean, we are talking about Beck.

I hope he does change some minds Res, I really do, but the baby boomers are either already in support of reform, or set enough in their ways not to change their minds at the voting booth.

Its just hard to trust some guy moving into your fight who claims to be libertarian yet wants all illegals thrown out, hung, and a fence erected. He is up to something and has the money to follow through with it.

20. ResinRubber

And the same argument applies...Beck isn't Hitler. The analogy isn't valid even if it's been used by Beck himself in other arguments. And while Beck is popular with neo-con boomers, he's unusually popular with seniors. The Reagan "just say no" and Nixon "War on Drugs" era voters who are possibly hearing something different from a source THEY respect.

We're not going to agree but to throw out support from a source that has a viable voting audience is short sighted IMHO, whether we agree with him, his style or rhetoric on other issues or not. To eventually win this battle we need to be able to swallow hard and realize we're not going to like everybody in support of our agenda.