Ebb N Flo Grow

Discussion in 'Grow Log Forum' started by Midnight Garden, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

I use the GH ph down. Hempy was easier for me because right now I am freaked out about the ph. You and I both know that if that is wrong then everything is fucked up. With hempy all I had to do was 3 times a week mix nutes, ph and feed. The water never set long enough for the ph to swing.

The tub I am using for my res, that's the same one I tried to setup to hold a weeks worth of nutes on my first hempy grow. I was chasing the ph so much it was just easier to mix nutes as needed. Getting rid of the plain water step sounds good to me too, the less I have to do the better. I mixed the nutes a little stronger this time and am hoping that this causes less drift.

2. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

me too. honestly I checked mine daily for like a month, then thought about getting a monitor, then....stopped checking after initial adjust.

3. Midnight Garden

How much was yours drifting and what nutes were you using?

4. friendlyfarmer

I'm using the Useless formula. When I had tap water, which was city water, it was wicked high out of the tap. Like 9+ and reeking of chlorine. I had to let it sit for a week and PH down 30 ml for a 23 gallon system. That would bring it down to 6.0 or so, and then it would slowly drift down throughout the week until by Friday when I flush it would be 5.0 or lower. I used to try to stop the drift by adding PH up when I got too low, but stopped after a while from laziness. No noticeable effect.

Now I'm running RO water and it's the opposite. I gotta add PH up.

I've done the PHing at all different times and in all different manners. Like I have flushed, let sit for a day, then add nutes, then PH adjust. I have done that, and waited a day with nutes in to see if the "PH buffers" would bring it into line. No luck. But now I just flush and refill, feed and adjust, all in about a half hour.

Midnight Garden likes this.
  5. Midnight Garden

Thanks, I also tried it about seven ways to sunday last year to get the ph to stay stable with no luck. I am going to keep trying and get it as close to stable as I can get it and see what happens.

6. friendlyfarmer

Right on man you'll get to a comfort level with it, like you did in hempy. :thumbsup::thumbsup: And I think a little drift through the acceptable range is OK and allows plants to take up the whole spectrum of fruits and vegetables. If you got it set dead on at one spot and kept it there you'd be locking out something way faster than if you have a slow drift through the range.

:passsit:

7. Midnight Garden

Thanks ff, I agree about the drift being ok, I just don't want it drifting out of range all the time. I will get it though!

8. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

hmmmm, I add about 20-25ml of DOWN to my 40gal res, add nutes and tada 5.8 or so

Ima have to think a lil more, theres a cause i can figure out

9. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

depends...I usually use GH but sometimes I go to grainger to get mine.

never really thought it made a difference

has anyone noticed like what CC is saying adding PH down before nutes is easier? Does the high PPMs from the nutes change the amount drastically?

10. Midnight Garden

I checked my ph this morning and it's now at 6.0. I left it alone to see what it is going to do. Nipp, the useless formula does say that if you are having drift issues that you cannot get a handle on to ph the water to 5.5 first and then add the nutes. This is exactly what I plan on doing at my next res change. Chasing the ph is bullshit, ain't got time for it!

11. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

That's always been my prob...I tried to talk to CC about it and tried some experiments myself (that's how I broke the table, lol) but I aint chasing that monkey....If I can't make it work, I'll figure a self watering hempy style.....need something that can be self sustained for at least a week to take the family on vacation this year....was hoping tables were the answer.

I've seen Useless with the 5.5....my thing is that would prob put my ph at about 3.8 or so....I usually start at 8.0 ish then add nutes and depending on which week I mixing I in the mid 6's....so starting at 5.5 is hard for to imagine.

I know Useless knows his shit, but I can't seem to follow that one...figured with my water it would kill the plant before the Ph leveled out

12. CCrete

thats telling me that your plants are drinking instead of eating and drinking equally, which is what a happy plant will do

Is your humidity off? temps? airflows off?

Theres something making your girls not so happy it seems, that is if its drifting upwards

When i first began hydro at all USELESS walked me thru a ton of my major issues and the drift was a huge one and that was always his advice as to the reasoning and whenever i got it figured out, the drift never happened again....but if you give up easily then your doomed

13. CCrete

and the thing about the differant PH DOWN brands is the amount of nitrogen and overall mineral content.......with the USELESS system it seems to work best with GH as a whole

ive tried technaflora and another one a few years ago and have had nothing but drift and inconsistancy issues

14. Midnight Garden

Thanks cc, I was having a temp issue up until yesterday that I could not get a handle on. The room was getting up to 85 degrees and it never does that. At first I thought that I had a pinched duct that sucks the air thru the light, I didn't but I did have the duct on the collar wrong so that the outer insulated barrier was actually blocking the air flow partially. I fixed that about 3 days ago but it did not really solve the problem. Yesterday I discovered that the fan blades on the motor that sucks in cold attic air and throws it directly into the room, it was jammed up. When I found that you could actually feel the moisture in the room air. I fixed that yesterday and now the temps are staying in the mid 70's again. I have noticed that it does not seem to be swinging as wildly now. I left it alone this morning to see what happens.

15. Midnight Garden

I checked the ppm both times ofo. I mix a weak solution and the first feed they got was week two useless veg which came out at 550 ppm. The second feed was week three which I mixed a little stronger and it came out at 765ppm. My lights come on in about an hour and I am going to check the ph and the ppm then and see what has happened.

16. Midnight Garden

When I checked the ph this morning it was at 6.1 and the ppm was at 825. I added 30ml of ph down and that took it to 5.8. The swing seems to be not so bad now that I got my room temp under control.

[YOUTUBE]ifjWL5UOM3M[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  17. Midnight Garden

Thanks ofo, I just checked the ph and it's still at 5.8. That's the first time that has happened. I may have solved my issue by getting the room to the proper temp. All of my temp issues started when I changed the room from hempy to the table and started moving ducts and the light around. Keeping my fingers crossed!

One thing I have noticed is the lack of roots relative to the size of the larger plants. I would suspect that by now they would have roots everywhere running out of the pot. Instead, each larger plant only has one or two roots that are actually out of the net pot and reaching into the res, the smaller plants have little root nubs I can see but they have not even reached out of the net pot yet.

These roots....

[​IMG]

Belong to this plant....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. CCrete

Ill post of pic of mine in a few days....im still in my cloner for my nexy round, I get a dreadlock beard from the cloner before i even go to VEG, then in a matter of 7-10 days there sould be double what your seeing in that picture you posted......but then again there seems to be something a lill off thats not making them eat to well....gotta figure that one out asap

19. Midnight Garden

Day one 12/12

[​IMG]

20. CCrete

switch to flower?