Drying

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by SoloFlyer1, Oct 3, 2007.

1. SoloFlyer1

SoloFlyer1 Keep Smyelin

'Lo all...

OK, coming up on my second lil' harvest. The first time I manicured almost right away, then went to jars to dry. I wasn't real pleased with the result of that. I see many folks hang their plants upside down. What I'm after is clarification on this. Should I hang my plants for a week or two, then manicure the bud and jar it to finish? Help a n00b out, all....
    Thanx and good growin! :punk:

Solo

2. AzGrOw-N-sMoKe

AzGrOw-N-sMoKe Begun Flowering

the only thing i can say is how i do it....i dark out the plants for a day or 2 befor harvest..then i cut down the plants an remove as much leaf as i can befor hanging upside down for anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks..then i trim down the plants to just buds an fully manicure them then i place them in brown paper sacks for 1-2weeks then i put it in a mason jar for 2-8weeks....i keep a fan blowing on the buds for the first couple steps keeps mold an mildew in check...peace az

3. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

4. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

It's easier to manicure when you first chop the plant (i.e. cutting all the little leaves off the bud).

5. GrassMaster

GrassMaster medicinal chronic

a common mistake is putting it in jars too early, this will make it get a musty smell. Peace

6. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

Hanging!!!

Hanging the BUds UPSIDE down is exactly for the sole purpose of getting rid of the Chlorophil in the Foliage and in the plant in general!:punk:

I ALWAY'S IMO, do this and think its the BEST way to get the BEST results in Your BUD FINISH alltogether, by hanging em all UPSIDE down to RID the plants of the Chlorophil, (DONT ask me why, this is a Very Practised action, of UPSIDE DOWN hanging to rid of CHLOROPHIL) I Just do it, always have, and i always seem to get a MUCH nicer, sweeter, Smoother TASTE and SMOKE, from this particular HANGING process in this drying method!!!

Others MAY differ, as EACH unto their OWN in this case, but IMO, UPSIDE DOWN HANGING :) :punk: is very good way for the ridence of the CHLOROPHIL and keeping the FAN leaves and the REST of the FOLIAGE on is UP to you, YOURSELF, as each unto their own(again), but ID IMO, I'd recomend it for those specific reasons for strarters!:wink: :bigok:

Trimming the FAn leaves , as i was getting to, triming them at 1st off, will hold back some good sugars in the STILL alive and Working Foliage to STILL do some vital good actions to the BUddage, for the week or 2 of hanging, then TRIMM.... then into JAR'S ect ect ect!!! (UP to you on that choice too) But recomended IMO anyway, to do it this way!!! :thumbsup:

"Hope Ive been of some decant assistance on the matter, Otherwise, please check the FAQUALTIES out on this , as we have MANY a RAnge of USe/Metods for HANGING and DRYING in general for several mathods and uses, and WHY exactly there done that way too"!!!

Peace all,

UrBigBuddie....... :) :wink: :thumbsup: :pimp: :potleaf: :bigok:

7. ishmeil

ishmeil cannabis connoisseur

always a trip reading your posts UBB keep it up haha :punk: :punk:

8. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

If growing is an art then drying/curing is a masterpiece. Even with the best explanations there is still no substitute for experience. Read everything and all methods you can and then just wing it. Every grow is different and so is every cure. Find what works for you. Eventually you'll be able to tell with a feel or a smell exactly where you are at in the curing process. Noone can impart this wisdom to you. It needs to be learned thru hands on experience. You will have harvests that you dry too quickly to cure properly and you will have others that may even mold on you. Even though this sucks at the time it prepares you for the next one. Keep growing, keep harvesting, and keep smoking. In time the whole process will be as easy and natural as wiping your ass after a healthy dump.

Gratitude likes this.
  9. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

There it is right there. :ebert: When you think about it...we're very much like wine makers in the sense that each of us has our own unique way of growing/curing bud. There is no method that is set in stone.....it's all about mastering your own method. I've tried so many different ways of doing things I could probably write my own book now, but in the end it was what I liked best that I stuck with. So long as the buds are dry when they go into the jars and you pop the jars daily.....you'll be ok. BTW.....I mainly rely on my nose to tell where I am in the curing process...just as Jake mentioned. That to me tells the whole tale. :XXfart:

10. SoloFlyer1

SoloFlyer1 Keep Smyelin

Thnx all!

Thanks to all who replied...

Yeah, I reckon I'm just a bit antze...LOL...I tend to want it and want it NOW! Y'all probly understand....I figure I'm gonna hang 'em for a week or two before switching out to jars to slow things down a bit. Just my second go 'round, so still bumbling along...but I'll find "my" way!! Thanks again for the replies!

:punk:

Happy Growin!

Solo

11. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

Flash Drying

That's normal for your first grow, esp. when you are totally out of smoke.

There is a flash dry microwave method that will give you some smokable bud while you wait for the rest to dry/cure. Doesn't taste great, but it will mess you up.

How To Microwave Steam Dry Marijuana

* Tupperware container with a lid (that fits)

* 3 Paper Towels

* Fresh Buds (cut into small chunks)

* Water (h20)

* A Microwave

Cut a 1/4 piece of paper towel and put it in the bottom of the tupperware container. Next put in all your cut-up weed pieces. Now fold the other 2 paper towels and dip them in water, making sure they are evenly wet. Now squeeze out most of the water, then unfold the damp towels and place on top of the container. Now place the lid on top and press down all corners except for one, so the steam can escape.

Now place the container in the microwave. Set on medium for 1 minute and let it go. Take it out when the minute is up and let it sit for around 20 seconds. If the bottom paper towel is a bit "wet", change it right away. Also check the 2 "top" paper towels, if they are a little dry get them wet again and put the lid back on and repeat the process.

Repeat this process a few times or until it's dry enough to smoke.

Source

12. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

I ask people this.....you spend ALL that time tending your crop.....why would you want to rush it and jack it up at the end? The slower the dry/cure, the better. Serve no wine before it's time. :animbong: