A little idea

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cultivation' started by Lord Soth, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Lord Soth

Lord Soth New Sprout

I've got 2 friends who, this summer, plan on creating a stealth grow ABOVE the trees beside a river.

Here goes,
    The plan is to start with about 10-20 seeds, and something like a big sand box. Fill the box/platform full of good soil plant the seeds. Attach ropes to the 4 corners, rig up 4 pulleys in the tree tops. Raise the platform to near the tops of the trees to gain maximum sunlight and exposure. However, we are then relying on the "kindness" (laced with sarcasm) of mother nature when it comes to the watering. We were thinking of using a silk rope threaded through a garden hose to use as a wick. NE1 got ane ideas on how far a wick system can take the water vertically? It's right next to a river, and very secluded.
    The plan: To take the wick, stick it into the river. Bury the wick along the shore to an appropriate tree. Run the remaining lenght of hose/wick up to the bottom of the sand box, and painting the hose to try and keep it a little more guerilla(just in case).
    NE1 ever grown like this before? If so, NE tips?
    If not, NE ideas from all the gurus here?
    If not, NE theories from NE1 else left?

Cool.
    :animbong:

:pimp:

2. rangerdanger

rangerdanger ***Rest in Peace***

Using a wick system will raise water about a foot or so.

If you paint the wick it won't work at all.

Which leaves you with 2 options--lowering the plants every 3--4 days, or climbing the trees carrying water.

A 'sandbox' big enought for 10--20 plants would weigh many hundreds of pounds.

I know a few people who've grown in trees; it's extremely labor-intensive.

One guy constructed platforms for buckets (1 plant per bucket) and he supplied water with a small clear water line (drip method) that was hooked up to his house (the tree was in his front yard).

Much better to find a remote location and grow on the ground imo.

(Edited by rangerdanger at 12:12 pm on Mar. 7, 2004)

3. Lord Soth

Lord Soth New Sprout

The wick would be a rope of sorts run through a garden hose. I would paint the outside of the hose. Also, wouldn't the garden hose help from natural evaporation and help it cover a much greater distance??

I don't know, that's why I ask.

4. Greengrowhydro

Greengrowhydro Developed Alternating Nodes

the wick still would not carry the water to the plants.

Further more a big box supported inbetween to tress with plant in it would be highly noticable to helicopters and such wich the national guard and police fly overhead looking for such things in.

and like ranger said a box big enough for 10-20 plants would wiegh alot , even more so when it gets WET , and suppose you have a heavy rainstorm within the first 2 weeks the plants would be flooded out.

that is not a very effective system the is alot of things you should rethink. hydro :evil:

5. Lord Soth

Lord Soth New Sprout

I don't live in america. I live in an area with minimal air flight of NE kind let alone low flying helicopters. I see a helicopter, usually military once every couple of years literally. I've thought most of it through thoroughly. I'm using inexpensive schwag seeds from a large number of different bags. The only thing I'm stuck on is how to keep it watered if we have a dry year. But Air security is far from an issue around here. More likely to lose a crop to animals and poachers. So, Can Ne1 think of a watering method to aid and assist in this experiment. C'mon people It's fer fun. If I lose the crop to cops, or poachers, Oh well. But nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained. If this works, I'll have 10-20 nice plants to rip apart in the fall. If not, I'll be out 10-20 bag seeds. Still growin the indoor closet grow, just want to try an attept at an outdoor grow. However, in my area, and with my schedule, I'd lose any ground crop to people poachin' my plants. The area I want to use has alot of heavy vegetation and canopy coverage, so I want to lift the plants above the canopy, to the light, and away from prying eyes.

Thanks fer all the input so far, Good or Bad, keep it commin, even criticism helps the end result.

6. Greengrowhydro

one thing you could do to keep from flooding and help keep watered. is possibly since i have never done it but in theory, take a plastic canopy underneath box, have holes in bottom of box for water drainage so you dont flood the plants , but if it only rains occasionally with the canopy underneith kinda cuped it then middle to catch water and hold it there for plants , but not above the bottome of the box other wise the could be to wet. something like that i guess i dont know i never tried it in trees, my friend did and was successfull, he used some other method not sure what though.

P.S. the box would definatly have to have holes in bottom or you'll just drown the plants when it rains with exessive water

7. Lord Soth

Lord Soth New Sprout

Thanks abunch playa!!!!

An Idea has sparked from yer post. Here goes:

Rig up a tarp to the 4 corners of the growing platform to form a sort of "bowl" under the platform. Then I could rig up a smaller wick system going to the tarp. If it's excessively dry, I'd judt have to fill the tarp once in a while. And if it's wet, then the tarp will be refilled naturally.

I think I'll have to camo the tarp somehow, but that's minor compared to the rest of it.

Thanx again for all the tips/criticism! It helps.....

8. Greengrowhydro

sounds workable lol GL hydro :evil: