female hairs turning red???

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by danksnow5280, Mar 8, 2006.

1. danksnow5280

danksnow5280 connoisseur of nug

I have a young plant that sprouted about a month ago. It hasn't started alternating nodes yet and only has 5 levels of fan leaves at about 1 ft 2 in. My problem is the female hair starting from the bottom and moving up are going from milky white to dried out red! I thought this happend when you harvest???

2. NJToker

NJToker Guest

If it's a month old, it's unlikely that you are showing 'female' hairs at this point.

I have no idea what you have there that could possible be turning red. Maybe some pics?

3. danksnow5280

4. Roma1703

Roma1703 Developed Alternating Nodes

naw dude

only a month in? almost impossible to be female or anyhitng yet unless its a clone. then that makes sense.

and btw i think their wut ppl call "horns" i had those too and got all excited thinkin i had a female but their there naturally so dont worry.

5. tiocfaidharla

tiocfaidharla New Sprout

those actually look like pistils to me...

If your plants are showing sex right now and you are seeing a color change in the pistil it is possible that you have a male in the bunch that has released pollen. :eek:

6. danksnow5280

I'm a little confused on the feedback, We only have two plants in the grow room. The other plant is about 4 months and just started to show femmale hairs and hasn't started to flower I've checked the plant for seed sacks and havent found any. So assuming there isn't a male in the room what else could cause it??

why would this plant be showing hairs already??

7. slyenigma

slyenigma Germinated

Im not an expert on MJ, but ive seen something simular to this in some vegetable plants. This is a huge guess, but it is possible that the plant went from veg to flower, and decided to reveg itself. Are there any light leaks? is the lighting 12/12? Did you change the lighting recently?

Again, this is just a huge guess, but ive seen it in tomato and zuchini plants.

8. danksnow5280

Yes, I did just have a 2ft but recently I just added a 4ft light. There may be a little bit of light leaking in (closet grow). light cycle is at 16/8 due to insufficiant funds for timer.

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill A Fat Sticky Bud

Those are pistils. I hate to disagree with so many but I'm telling you that your plants will show sex during the veg stage. The preflowers will start after about four weeks or veg growth. I have several grows under my belt and I have been 100% accurate in sexing my plants while still in 18/6 light schedule. If you start watching closely after about 8 inches tall or 4 weeks or so (with a 20x loop) in the crotches (where the side branches are growing) of your plants you'll begin to see the preflowers. You have to scrutinize them every day. Believe with a good power (20x) loop you will see them while in veg. Right now I have twelve plants under a 1000w hps on 18/6. 10 are about 5 weeks old. 5 of them are showing this tonight (only just one fist with a thumb sticking up. Not a bunch like in this pic):

[​IMG]

The started on one pland about 4 days ago and as of tonight I see it on 4 others.

Just tonight one of the plants has one of these and it looks almost exactly like the one in this pic:

[​IMG]

The other four (of that age) are showing nothing. I'm hoping that's a good sign. It seems like the males always show first.

I'm not sure why yours are turning red (or brown) unless the light situation is messing with the plant or another problem. How does the plant look overall. Maybe a zoomed out shot of the whole plant or good discription. The fertilized suggestion sounds possible but I've got to think that a male flower mature enough to bust out it's pollen would be very easy to see and you did say you looked both plants over well. Right?

10. danksnow5280

For further clarification the plant sprouted Jan. 31 and is about 14 1/2 in tall. first 3 pics are of the plant in question, 4th is the other plant in the grow room remember lucky? ;)

http://www.growkind.com/marijuana/gardens/2051/0/10/29396.html

http://www.growkind.com/marijuana/gardens/2051/0/10/29398.html

http://www.growkind.com/marijuana/gardens/2051/0/10/29399.html

http://www.growkind.com/marijuana/gardens/2051/0/10/29397.html

as you can see in the pics I hope plants look very healthy over all Im not using any fert. (too poor for the stuff)

11. Wild Bill

Looks like more light would help them. Why no ferts at that size?

12. Wild Bill

Those plants are more than a month old or they will be 10 ft by the time yoyu harvest. Hope you're on 12/12.

13. danksnow5280

cant afford the fert right now...also not sure what brand to use. they are getting the max light I can give them right now a 2' and 4' fixture that hold 2flos each using the highest watt I could find, I would like to move to hps but again little funding for my grow. one plant is 4months the other like 6-7 weeks is it possible to harvest them at the same time? im not on 12/12 should I be??? im on 16/8 right now...how do you know when to switch?

p.s. wild bill you rock! so much knowledge!

14. Wild Bill

Now is the time. They're more than old enough for 12/12. And thanks