Update, new batch since overwatering prob. A few questions too.

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by WiZaRD, Aug 25, 2006.

1. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Ok, hey guys, it's me again. Well, after 3 seperate attempts to grow some bud sucessfully, I'm finally on my way with a good batch. If you guys remember, my first two batches died for reasons of me having emergencies and leaving, not beintg able to tend to them, but they would have died anyway because of the way I was watering them.

Things I've changed:

1) Went from water holding pots (no drainage) to simple black flexible 3 gallon pots with drainage holes.
    2) Went from the organic soil I made w/ the bone/blood meal/potash/ and other stuff pre-mixed, to Fox Farms Ocean Forest, with 10% homemade compost, and 15-20% perlite, and 1/2 a cup of Essential Minor Elements.
    3) Started off watering them every 3rd day with a spray bottle, getting the top of the soil pretty damn moist, so it wasn't just skin deep. Then decided to get a waterer thing, and I've only had to water them once a week! Like you guys said, I was killing them w/ kindness before.
    4) Instead of pre-mixed ferts, I've gone with these. Earth Juice Grow(2-1-1 I think), Earth Juice Bloom(0-3-1), and some Dutch Master Liquid Potash (.7 - 4 - 11). I've had my babies going for 3 weeks now, and I've used the Earth Juice GROW in one of the waterings, and that's all.
    5) Light Heigth - Started off with it like 28" from the pots, then after 5 days moved it to 12-14" from the pots, and saw a nice change. I also leave the closet doors a little more shut, so that the temperature in my grow closet is closer to 80 degrees instead of 70, and the plants seem to love it.

Now for a few questions:

[first a little info - these are GRAPEFRUIT Feminised plants, said that you can put them under 12/12 after a week of germination, but I put them under 5 days after they started growing their first set of serrated(sp?) leaves.]

1) First thing, when do the plants start to grow their most, they've been flowering for 19 days, and have 2 sets of 3 finger leaves and 1 set of 5 finger, and starting the second set of 5 finger. I've read they'll get 50-60cm when put under 12/12 almost immediately, so I was just curious if it's pretty much a stable growth from start to finish, or if they hit a growth spurt around the 5th - 6th week of flowering.
    2) How often do you suggest using the Earth Juice grow? I figured using it made to it's highest recommended potency two times ever 14 days would be ok.
    3) When do you think I should start adding the Earth Juice & Potash, which together make up a (.7 - 7 - 12) mix. ALSO, should I JUST use the Dutch Master stuff or JUST use the earthjuice stuff instead of mixing it?
    4) How many inches from the top of the plants should I have the light? I have the light on an adjustable pully system I made. The light I'm using for the 3 plants I have going is a 440 watt HPS, with an EXCELLENT reflecting hood (cost more than the ballast).
    5) Cloning - is there good information on cloning basics in the FAQ for this site? just curious, or does anyone have a GOOD website with Photographs and instructions?
    6) I also have a MENTAL FLOSS plant going, that's actually starting to smell already, if it turns out to be male can't I move it to another room, wait till it makes it's seed sack, then just tap it on the very bottom buds of ONE of the grapefruit plants so that those buds will make some Mental Floss x Grapefruit seeds?

2. Mr. Wakenbake

Mr. Wakenbake Latae Sententiae Excommunication

whoever told you to flower them from the go is wrong...even if it is the breeder. TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON atleast 18/6 for a month man. Because if they are auto flowreing anyways they will begin to bud when they are ready. ANd yes you can save some pollen from the mental floss and coat some smaller bottom buds for a cross...you never know...but i would pollenate more than 1 so maybe you'll get a few stable plants outta the little home breeding experiment.

Those fox farm nutes are great but i don't know much about em ..

keep that light up about a foot to 18 inches above the tops if you don't run a cool tube

3. carly22

carly22 Developed Alternating Nodes

4. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Well, I've read quite a few grow reports. Three of them I read, the people used 12/12 from start to finish. And ended up with plants that had the heigth the breeder said, about 50 - 6cm. ~1.85 - 2.0 feet tall. This is what I'm after. The yields were 22-32 grams.

One guy, he vegged for 21 days, under 18/6 and got plants nearly 4 feet tall, and he yielded 44 grams dried, he shoulda gotten more than that IMO, given that he had to spend an 3 more weeks than the rest of the guys, but I attribute the lack of yield to his growing medium, and nutes.

ANYWHO. I'm gonna stick with it flowering the way it's going. I vegged them under 24/0 under flourescents until the seedcap busted, which was about 5 days after I put them in their cups. Then I put them under 14/10 for a day, then 13/11 for a day, then 12/12 from then on out.

Thanks for the input tho, and other guy, thanks alot for the cloning Nformation.

5. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

I tried Grapefruit (feminized) as well. I hope you had better luck than me. They stretched like a bastard, didn't yield much, and don't have much of a taste either. The only good note is what I got out of them will get you seriously high. I've set it aside for an extended cure and check it every few weeks. Hopefully I'll get a little more taste from it down the road.

I'm not bashing the strain, just passing along my experience. Mine were from Female Seeds. Anyone has a different result from the same or different breeder share your info. I may have just got a shitty batch of seeds.