Something Special!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RkyMtnWayHigh69, Jan 13, 2011.

1. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

In light on the recent violence in Arizona, I thought it important to share something I'm sure alot of youy have already read/heard, but it still needs to be said and I thought it would be appropriate here in the Politics Lounge, where so many differing opinions debate and sometimes clash.

This is a quote from Rep. Giffords' brother-in-law, who is an Astronaut with NASA. He was aboard the International Space Station (ISS) when the shooting occurred and he remains there until the completion of his mission.

Anyway, his thoughts on the subject have hit me particularly hard and I feel he spoke the serious truth I suspect we all believe in the backs of our minds.

I am doing EVERYTHING in my power to live the remainder of my life in a way that makes me a better person for myself and those around me.

I hope others can find the same common ground we all desperately need to ensure the preservation of the human race.

Seriously!

I want to do better! I WILL try to do better!

Hank Chinaski likes this.
  2. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

Well said! I wish you luck.

Peace....

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

And so we gain another objectivist. That's a tough pledge Rky but I trust your sincerity. Best on ya bro.

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Are you sure this wasn't due to the recent violence in your flower room?

Either way, fine words my friend. :not-worthy:

5. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Admirable sentiment.

:not-worthy:

6. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Thanks all.

The reason I posted this is because I see humanity fighting against itself nonstop.

We, as a race, must learn to get along together and put our resources to a common goal, such as preservation of our species, for instance.

Funny thing is that President Obama spoke in Arizona today, and he made the EXACT same point I'm trying to make here.

We ALL can and should be better.

I'm NO Obama supporter, in fact I think he's a fool, but I do respect the fact that he recognized the significance of the words of NASA Astronaut Scott Kelly regarding the assassination attempt on his sister-in-law.

KUDOS Obama!

Is it just me or am I NOT seeing a reference ANYWHERE in this article to the person who inspired this?

NASA Astronaut Scott Kelly spoke these words 2 days before Obama made his inspirational speech . . . Hmmmmmmmmmmm, very strange and tough to remain "better" when I think more of this.:laugh:

Watch and hear the words from the source . . . http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12157346

Anyway, I had no clue President Obama made a speech on this subject . . . just a coincidence I guess.

Something for US ALL to think about.

"We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into PEACE!" Michael Franti

7. sectguitar

sectguitar Guest

If I ruled the world I'd destroy mankind...

If I were king for a day I'd make sure there was no fucking tomorrow...

I'm disgusted by your fury...

I am unimpressed by your status...

This is MY continent...

This is MY world....

If I ruled the world I'd destroy all mankind...

If I were king for a day I'd make sure there was no tomorrow...

:321fu: :dog-nana: the WORLD

:angel4: :angel4: :alienwink: :alienwink: :new_alien: :flyy: :flyy: :roffl:

8. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

It always has, and I'm afraid it always will. I have watched countless movies and read so many books that talk about humanity's natural design to destroy itself. It's true. Our nature does not allow us to accept others. It's too easy to resort to our more primitive state, as witnessed I'm sure by you all on a day to day basis. Hate is an easier emotion than love.

I too try to find that common ground, but it's a pretty daunting task.

Good post, my friend.

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

RkyMtnWayHigh69 likes this.
  9. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Hmmm, maybe...

Why do we hate? Evolutinarily and historically, that kind of animosity and aggression between groups was a fight for resources, wasn't it? Is hate a survival mechanism that is now out of place in an overpopulated world where co-operation is the only hope for the future?

I posted an article that touched on the subject of hate yesterday, but I don't think many people read it.

http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?p=468271#post468271

Here are a couple quotes that I thought were interesting:

"Psychologists have studied the social science behind hatred and declared that there's increasing evidence that people are evolutionary hard-wired to judge each other."

"Morality "is used in large part to bind people together to compete with other groups," says Jonathan Haidt, a University of Virginia psychologist who studies moral outrage. People "sacralize," or make sacred, the figures who share their moral codes, and they villainize others. This is how power works..."

:passsit:

10. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

"No try, DO."~ Yoda

Im feeling the same way. I dont know how much Time is left, but there isnt enough to fuck around and waste. There needs to be a quantum leap in human evolution of the spiritual variety. Or, we'll go belly-up as a species. Respect for the Earth and each other is what's called for. More than respect--Reverence.

I sometimes think each of us is Here to learn one, maybe two or three crucial-to-our-spiritual-growth lessons. I think we're all Spiritual Warriors, it's just that some of us dont know it on a conscious level, yet.

Life presents us with challenges, like a gauntlet that must be run because there is something to be proved. The thing to be proved, of course, is your Self. By "proved", I guess I mean honed, sharpened, made more fine. Tempered.

For me, I think one of the Challenges is Patience. Im not doing too well with that one. The other, I think, is being/staying in the moment and being truly authentic. That one's hard too, but Im seeing some progress, LOL.

On several occassions and for varying lengths of time, Ive had this....awareness....of being Hooked On, like Id somehow gotten "in tune" with the universe or something, and doors appear, so to speak, coincidences, if you will, and amazing shit happens. My life goes in some other direction. Leaving Atlanta to move to the remote mountains of NC was one of those "Cosmic Adjustments", seriously. It was like I was being led here.

Then "it" goes as quickly and inexplicably away. More precisely, I get UNhooked and Im just , I dunno, back in NormalLand,same struggles, same little pleasures, except in the different space the cahnges brought.

This is hard to talk about, it's heavy stuff and words are weak.

The feeling is like, every now and then a Force reaches into my life and creates Changes. That's all. Then the Force, LOL, moves on. Or I move out of It. Im not sure. That's what Id like to know--whether it comes to me on it's terms or if it's always accessable, right THERE, and I can step in anytime I want to. If I knew HOW to.

I guess it's what the religious types call, "Grace", a state of being atuned, flowing with the universe, Harmonious with it. Like everything you need, falls into your path effortlessly. Hell, MORE than you need, or even thought to ask for.

I mean, it's fuckin amazing. I know it's the state some Buddhist monks, those whacky catholic saints, the Dervish as he whirls...every spiritual path arrives at theis fragile, mystical Place of Union. It's Bliss. I fall in by accidenrt. Then I fall back out.

My goal as a spiritual warrior is to get to that place and live in it. At least a lot of the time.

All I gotta do is figurte out the "how" part.

That's what I want to do. Well, that and grow dope.

Dix

11. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Not really. It's just a step in consciousness. It SEEMS daunting, Maybe "impossible", but it's the thinking it's hard or impossible that makes it so. First step to changing it is to stop believingg it cant be done. Does that make sense? A change, a shit, in human/individual consciousness isnt impossible. In fact, it's immeninently do-able.

It's not even a matter of learning some brand new super-theory or mathematical equasion,--it's just Waking Up to a Truth that's always been there. All we've got is each other and this planet. All we've ever had or ever will have is each other and this planet. We can wake up and get that, internalize that as our primary building bloick of change and evolution.

Whether we will remains to be seen. But the potential is there.

To believe it's Man's nature to destroy itself is contraindicated by Naure. The purpose of evolution is Improvement, adaptation. We havent folded up til now, thru god-awful shit, plagues, wars, famines, natural disasters of all kinds.

It's just that now we're getting to the bottle neck, LOL, where the rubber meets the road and it's Change or Die time.

And all it takes is a shift in consciousness. That dont even cost money.

Dixie

12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

I don't believe there is ANY way 7 billion humans can live on this rock in peace. Never gonna happen, and in fact, it will only continue to get worse as our population grows and natural resources diminish.

As frightening a concept as it is, the only way to ever see any kind of utopian society on this planet will be to considerably reduce the population to a level where the natural resources replenish at the same rate of consumption.

I always think about Star Trek. Every planet they went to, including earth, only has like one or two cities. The Enterprise could relocate an entire planets population in one cargo bay. :jj:

13. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Amen my bredren! Praises,... Jah, Rastafari! This is very Rasta my brother, emanate love and you WILL be better, and you WILL help those around you to be better as well.

This quote is in my signature, but it applies to what you have said here, and I'm sure most everyone overlooks most of what people put into their signatures for the most part so I will share this with you again.

"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudices owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community." Emperor Haile Selassie I, of Ethiopia.

14. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

As long as we see people as "different" there will always be war and killing.

We as a species need to understand that we are all the same. Just because

your God is different than my God, your skin is a different color than mine, dosen't mean I sholud be willing to kill you over it.

I have never cared what color you are, what God you beleive in, If you are republicin or democrate. If you have red hair or brown. If you treat me with respect, you will get the same from me.

It is a simple concept that we need to make sure are childern learn so that they can teach it to their childern.

Peace to us all........maybe not in my life, but someday, PEACE.......

15. RkyMtnWayHigh69

I too have the same thoughts and have had them for along time.

I don't want to be the only one "playing fair" when everyone else is "cheating", so I instinctively push toward the reasoning of "Fuck it. It isn't going to work, we're all gonna die and I'm gonna enjoy my little chunk of serenity that I do have."

Well, I think thats whats wrong with humanity; we all want things to be fair for us and we're not willing to sacrifice our way of life or morals because others aren't either.

We can change things and we MUST change things. It starts with each one of us being willing to accept others and working towards peace and happiness.

It does sound impossible, but it's our only hope and we all must accept it sooner or later . . . or die as a whole.

I hope we all can find a way to be a better people, I know we can do it.

We all need to be better people to each other. Simple as that. No choice other than destruction and that doesn't sound too appealing to me and I have NO KIDS, so those of you with kids should work extra hard to make this happen or their lives will see the full impact of our hatred and aggression.

I totally agree. We keep overpopulating the planet and the only outcome is disaster. We MUST control the expansion of the human race BEFORE we can imagine a world of peaceful occupants.

IMHO, anyone having more than a 2-3 kids is just plain irresponsible. No other logical resolution to the question of human extinction than OVERPOPULATION will be the MAIN cause.

I cringe when I see some of these people with 8 kids and living on welfare. WTF? We're giving them a free ride to our own demise. To them, life is great . . . fuck, have more kids, get more :$ $$: from the working class and fuck anyone who says anything against them.

Breed ONLY what you can support, if even that.

We need a sharp decrease in world population, but I don't wanna go anywhere just yet and I suspect no one else does either.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and comments. I feel this is the MOST important thing facing humanity and most of the time it's just ignored.

Lets all try to be alittle bit better of a person than we were yesterday. Is it really that hard?

Your the only one I couldn't give rep to for your great comment. thanks for sharing and I appreciate your sincerity.

16. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Exactly.

We are all still animals running around. We are no different from apes apart from one thing. We have bigger brains, so our games get more complex.

Its all about survival, make friends and fucking others. Just humans we like to dress it up a bit and call it civilisation.

I love it!

17. RkyMtnWayHigh69

So, I take it your not going to try and be a better person in any way? It has to start somewhere . . . Come on Skuzzi, I know you wanna love and be loved . . . Puppy dogs and daisies . . . Candy canes and sugar plum fairies . . . Tell me is isn't so!

18. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I am loved and I do love, very much so. But its all a game.

19. TheFomorian

TheFomorian Neo-Shaman

It's a trick... get an axe.

Opening psyop in the "best year ever" for Masonic ritual magic.

The twin astronauts were a nice touch.

:alienwink:

20. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

All you ever really have is yourself! The only reason anything else exists is because you precive it. Its all in your head. Your brain precives the world and the ppl in it, thats the only guarentee you'll ever have. For all you know you could be a complete wako lying in a cabbage state and "your" world could be entirely in your head and your responsible of all the shit in that world lol!

No one round you is perminent. They could leave you at any time and for what ever reason. Thats the game. Building relationships and expanding your experiences. I engage my time improve the shit around me. Family, friends and work. I do it all for me and my happyness and im happy :mashed:

Keeping those around you happy is a big part of the game. If those around you are happy, they will continue to be around you and life is good. You neglect your relationships and ppl fuck off. That works all the way from the encounter your have while getting served in a shop through to partners.