Need Advice on my first closet grow! (pics included)

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by KushKlassik, Oct 13, 2010.

1. KushKlassik

KushKlassik Germinating

Ok I am new to this whole thing so bare with me. I have been reading up on growing so i decided to try a small closet grow. I started 2 seedlings approximately 7 days ago. They are both guaranteed female, once Ice and the other Swiss Cheese.

I heard blue floro was the best for veg state. I also heard it was good to throw in 1 red floro just to balance things out. So i have 2 100 watt blues and 1 100 watt red light up as of right now.

For the Flowering stage i have a 250 hps light. I have watered them twice in the past week making sure not to over water. I keep a fan on them about 90% of the day. Please take a look at my pics and tell me if might setup will work ok.

I hear you are supposed to keep the lights about 2-3 inches away from the plants, but because of my closet setup I am only able to get them about 6-10 inches away from the plants, as you will see in the pic.

The plants in the pic are 1 week old and i appreciate any advice..thanks ahead of time!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dlr42

dlr42 King of GrowKind

Welcome

First :-welcome-: .

Second :F-A-Q: lots of great info there.

Lots of great growers here. Don't be afraid to ask questions. But read all you can. You my find an answer before you need to ask.

Good job getting the pics in. Lots of people, including me, have trouble with that at first.

You need to get the lights LOTS closer! If you can't move the lights down, move the plants up. With the floros that far away all the plants are going to do is strech like mad and fall over. You are going to need more light. Floros are cheap, either in tubes of compact floros.

Peace....

3. KushKlassik

KushKlassik Germinating

how much?

how much more light should i use? i have 200 wats of blue and 100 watts of red running..please help me on how much more i should use for veg..thanks..

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Lights?

As much as you can afford. The more the better.

Get something under those pots and get those plants up about an inch from the lights.

:-welcome-:

5. KushKlassik

KushKlassik Germinating

something under the pots? you mean something to reflect the light? i was thinking of using foil to do that

6. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

He means something to raise the plants closer to the lights. Using CFLs (Compact Flourescent Lights) the plants need to be kept as close as possible to the light. Within 2" is perfect

7. KushKlassik

KushKlassik Germinating

gotcha..i grabbed some phone books and set the pots about 1-2 inches from the lights...i also added a 3rd blue cfl for a total of 240 watts blue and 100 watts red..i will try to add more blue light when i can...thanks for your help

8. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

yep. Sorry I wasn't clear enough.

9. gizmo_barks

gizmo_barks Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Are those actual watts. With 3 lights, It looks like you have less than 75 actual watts. I would use at least 250 watts.

Edit: http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/GrowFAQ%20Basic%20Topics.htm

THE TRUTH ABOUT WATT RATINGS

When purchasing a compact fluorescent, you will notice that nearly all of them have a larger number on the box, than what it actually is. This number is the lights comparison to the brightness of a standard incandescent globe. Do not be fooled, this does not mean that the light is 100w! It is most likely around 18w.

Now, here is where the myth behind these lights is uncovered. Most people will say that you should totally discard the brightness rating. This is wrong! The brighter a light is, the more penetration it has. With a usual, run-of-the-mill compact fluorescent (say, 15w) it emits only 15w of light with poor penetration. An energy saving compact fluorescent with 15w of light, which is rated to 100w of light, will only emit 15w of light. The difference between the two is, the energy saving light has a much stronger light penetration of the normal one, while still only emitting 15w of light.

This is beneficial to growers because with a larger plant, a normal 15w compact fluoro will sufficiently light one part of the plant, and by the time the light has reached the other side of the plant, so much of the light has been lost that it is barely worth having. With the energy saving compact fluorescents, the light will travel to the other side of the plant, and still have enough intensity for reasonable results

peace.

G_B

10. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

A 150 watt cfl is only about 10 bucks. A nice heavy duty work light fixture is less than 15. get a couple of these and you'll be good. You may have to search for the 150's but it's worth it. The 100's are easier to find and also worth it.

11. insaneface

insaneface Begun Flowering

:-welcome-: hey bud I wouldnt use foil to reflect light... See if they have a hydro store in the area get some panda film or mylar and use that for reflection if you cant get either then paint the walls flat white... sounds like you really need to spend some more time reading the :F-A-Q: good luck and keep us posted:thumbs-up:

12. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

First upgrade......

[​IMG]

$8 for a big one at Home DePot.

Next, get REAL 100w CFL's. $13 at Home DePot or Lowe's. Call ahead though because a lot of places don't stock them that big. The ones in your lamps don't look big enough to be 100 actual watts. Two plants is going to require two lights if you go with the cheap reflector and 100w cfl bulbs.

OR you could just put that 250w HPS to work. It'll do much better than what's in there now.

good luck, cheer,

13. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

No. A table. Or ironing board. Or a cardboard box. Anything to RAISE the plants UP to the light, if you cant lower the light to the plants. Also the wall appears to be green? Can you paint it flat white to reflect light better? Or tape mylar to the wall? Foil is a poor reflector but better than nothing. Paint is pretty cheap or buy a few sheets of white poster board and tape it to the wall.

Whatever it takes, you have to get the light closer to the plants and you have to have a reflective surface on the walls.

The HPS you have for flowering cant penetrate very far, so you might plan on LSTing the plant as it gets bigger and I wouldnt let it get TOO big at all--say 4-5 weeks of veg.

Keep reading and asking questions---soon it will all start to make sense, I promise. At first, I KNOW it seems overwhelming--SO much to learn, soi many different grow styles...everything. But one day at a time, it gets easier and makes more sense.

Dixie

14. spinkler

spinkler Game On!

All great advice in this thread, but this quote is especially true. Don't get overwhelmed, ask lots of questions and keep at it, it'll all start to come together over time.

I'd definitely go with what ResinRubber suggested. A real 100W CFL and a reflector/lamp set up will do you wonders. Other than that, put the HPS to work if it's possible, just be careful of heat in that closet.

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup:

15. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

In terms of light, your plants would be extremely happy if you had more firepower. If you can, get with 400-600W HID, or more.

Of course not everybody can afford all that right off the bat. CFL grows can do very well.

Plenty of knowledge in here. Welcome to growing. Welcome to GK!