Electrical use monitoring

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by bluto, Nov 20, 2007.

1. bluto

bluto New Sprout

I'm slowly preparing myself for a second attempt to grow in East Asia. I have taken every precaution, have purchased all supplies with cash, etc. I have replaced some random swag beans with DP Blueberry.. which I came across by accident.

My worry: I have read about the authorities monitoring electrical use. Penalties are stiff here but beyond monitoring the elevated use of power, I don't see any other major risks.

Besides a few lights and a big screen TV, I don't use much power. Of course, I will be growing from january so this could be from a heater... albeit a heater that is only run for 12 hours (I'll go to flower ASAP).

Can anyone give me any feedback? You might not know much about asia, but how common do you think this is??

2. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

The perfect person to ask would be Chopstick...

Hopefully he'll pop in soon.

3. bluto

bluto New Sprout

thanks,

I didn't buy a light yet. I have a small space 2.5 by 2.5, but wanted a 400w light. I am flexible though, as a 250w would draw less electricity, and maybe less attention.

I hope chopstix has some ideas!

4. I don't see how a few lights can really cause that much attention. Hell I have 3-5 computers running at once at my house and as far as I know I haven't been getting any special "attention" from the police

5. Kind Cola

Kind Cola Loves White Rino

1 400 Hps does not make enough difference to notice Its the same as haveing 4 100 watt lights on now how many people use 4 lights a day ALOT Good Luck on your grow

6. bluto

bluto New Sprout

I just wondered if the cycle (12 hours consistently) would tip off authorities. I guess if the use was more random, it would be impossible to tell? 400 watts is a lot compared to my normal usage??

Thanks

7. Well bluto, 400watts probably isn't a lot to what you use. My power supply alone for this computer is 500watts

8. bluto

bluto New Sprout

Thanks Prof.,

I guess maybe I'm a bit paranoid. Penalties are insane over here, but it stinks going dry too.

9. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

pretty strict?

I'm not sure how you are billed over there, but my bill shows me the use from last year compared to this year. I have added @300w to a new space and my usage is a very minor difference on my bill. (I'm talking $5-$10)....it depends on where you are, colder months, using spaceheaters....higher use is almost expected...But technically, it's the same as adding an outdoor security light, that stays on all night....lol... now 1000w...I would definitely be concerned...lol! :)

10. snickelfritz

snickelfritz Weed College Hall Monitor

I think some folks kind of missed his first point...

The rest of the advice is good advice, and the cops might not even notice a 400 watt light,or 12/12 cycles. I also DO think that most of the grow methods here would be good there, BUT... In all fairness to bluto...

I have no friggin' idea what the cops can & can't do, or what they might be lookin' for in places like China, Japan, Korea etc... Or the changes from one province to the next in any of those countries... I doubt most others in here would know either.

Hell, in some countries, cultivating can get you the death penalty!!!

If anyone knows where chopstick may be lurking, kindly give him a shout out.

He is from "around" that area, & travels a lot. He would be the best one IMO to hook up with you for any advice on the Asian LEO. Try sending him a PM.
    :)

11. smoke24/7

smoke24/7 burning 1 down

use LED lights if your too worried about it, my friend hollowed out a dresser and put in 12 14watt LED kits that he got at homegrownlights.com and he's doing some pretty amazing stuff with such a small space and for not taking any power at all.

12. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

What Snick said...

If Bluto lives in a Communist country there is no telling what kind of monitoring they do. Even some non-Commie countries (esp. in Asia and Middle East) are very strict and have ZERO TOLERANCE for cannabis.

13. bluto

bluto New Sprout

East Asia

Thank you so much Snicklefritz, that is the most important issue. I have searched for information on arrests, usage, etc to learn more about how the authorities operate. I have not seen much. I did read that most seeds imported here are heat treated to kill them. My seeds were still in the unopned original packaging though?? I paid a TON for them, so they best be stellar. I have never grown anything, I rarely get to smoke good weed, let alone great weed. I'm wondering how much I will enjoy my first crop of blueberry.

But then I think about how dangerous all this might be.

It is also an issue that the authorities seam to love bagging foreigners...

14. jimmy the lizard

jimmy the lizard Genius beginner!

i dont know about penalties where you are, but how likely is it that authorities have a budget that would finance monitoring everyones apt. for usage of 400w of power? a tv uses 250w, without a cable box, or dvd player on. a computer uses 450w, or as theycallmeprofessor said, 500w.

in a town where you cant find any bud worth smoking the authorities arent looking for growers as it isnt an epidemic that floods the streets with drugs, and money, or more importantly bust money. there just isnt any money in it for the cops to look at power usage.

thats just what i would think.