keep em short

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by FueledBySatan, Jun 28, 2006.

1. FueledBySatan

FueledBySatan New Sprout

this is my second grow and assuing that i can get past the leaf problem i am having i was to keep these plants short throuh out their lives.
    the last grow i did i had two plants that were about five foot tall a peice in my closet. they were very hard to manage and i had infinite trouble getting my light high enough.

so ive been reading on ways to keep the plants short and i think im gonna try the one that turns them into a short bush by cutting off certain branches before flowering so that the node length will be shorter.

is this a good way to go or should i try something like using a chicken wire to make a canopy.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. FueledBySatan

FueledBySatan New Sprout

just to specify the bush method says to cut of 50% of the plants leaves during the the third week of vegitative growth.does anyone have any experience in this and if you do, does it look like i have enough room to do four bushes.

post2.JPG

/monthly_2006_06/post2.JPG.43f5bed46ead0329887955a38fd82f63.JPG

3. donny

donny Latae Sententiae Excommunication

I would use force flowering and PGRs like bud blood adn b52 to stay short

4. FueledBySatan

FueledBySatan New Sprout

you dont use those until flowering right? and another question, is www.advancednutrientsonline.com as safe web site to order from if im shipping within the us?

5. donny

donny Latae Sententiae Excommunication

the b-52 you can use in veg..bud blood is first week of flower tho

6. Mr Orange

Mr Orange New Sprout

personally, i wouldnt cut off anything during the third week of veg. This is not a good time to put stress on your plants. I would recommend LST, but if you dont wanna go that route at least just top it. Cutting off 50% of the foliage :confused: , doesnt sound like good idea.

7. Spuddy

Spuddy Veggy Stage

anything that requires butchering your plant doesnt sound good to me... just tie the thing down (IE: jogging/LST) and youll still have all the good stuff, yet in a much shorter space. ive seen some incredible yields with plants less than 2 feet tall using this method

8. FueledBySatan

FueledBySatan New Sprout

man i tried tying down my last grow and i didnt have any luck; they still grew to about four to five feet.

this bush method came from the cannibis grow bible so i thought it wouls be reputable. but if you guys think its a bd idea it probly is.

where can i find step by step instructions for tying plants to make them shorter cause i suck at it. like i dont even know when i should start or what materials to use.

Some direction on this would be greatly appreciated.

9. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Its not that hard look at the plant you see a branch that looks to tall tie it down and when it grows back up tie some more. Its just tieing it down so you have an even canopy. There is a guide in the faq about jogging but as i was informed by mikey jogging is just tieing the main stem down, LST is a little different this is where you keep tieing the branches that grow up down.

10. MeRmAn

MeRmAn New Sprout

How tall is your space? I would recommend SCReen Of Green! There's pleny o' threads about, and the FAQ's. Very easy.... veg cycle under control and keeps your canopy equidistant from the light. A lot of folks use chicken wire.... I use 40LB test fishing line strung through a PVC pipe frame. With the fishing line, I'm able to open and close the screen holes for training without damaging any foliage.

I flower my SCROG when the clones are about 6-7" tall and well rooted. Train'em out in the screen for two weeks and get a forest of 6-10" buds!

When are you going 12/12? Maybe you should just start flowering earlier? I know people say to wait till you get alternating nodes and preflowers and all that, but, you know.... fuck it! As I'm sure you know, plants will double, triple in size during the stretch, so if you veg till they're two feet tall, expect 4-6 foot plants (and a big freaking mess in your closet).

Good Luck!

11. FueledBySatan

FueledBySatan New Sprout

yeah thats exactly what i did last time (my first time), i waited until they were 1.5-2 feet tall to flower. i just wanted to be on the safe side and make sure i didnt flower too early; i wont do that again.

my closet is about 10- 12 foot tall because i dont have a ceiling, just the santed roof through out my whole house.

however, i can only raise my light to about four or five feet because im using the coat hanger to hang my light from. The screen of green seems like it would work pretty good for what i need; ill look into it carefully

i thought about attaching pulley to a cross beam on the roof so i could life my light all the way to the top and my plants could get as tall as they wanted; but i thought that they would gget uncontrollable. what do you think about this?

in the mean time other alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

12. MeRmAn

MeRmAn New Sprout

I recommend doing some more reading.... check out some pictures of closet grows by others and get some perspective on what your potential setup could be.

Five feet should be plenty for a closet grow... your light can only penetrate a certain distance anyway (depending on wattage), generally no more than 2.5 feet into the canopy for a 1000W. (though don't take my word for it, somewhere out there is a light penetration chart for watts or lumens).

There's no reason for your plants to get more than 3 feet in total height after the stretch. You'll still have space between the top of the canopy and the bottom of your light so things won't get burned, and your quantity and quality will be much better.

If I were you, I would use your closet shelf for a mother/clone space. Seal off the bottom space for flowering and you are in business for a perpetual grow setup.

Get a mother plant going and take some clones.... really the only way to go with limited space. You can start flowering as soon as they're rooted! (as little as 6-8 inches tall!)