aero cloner

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Cultivation' started by Mr. Gardener, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Mr. Gardener

Mr. Gardener Full Flowering

Currently I'm cloning in soil. My success rate is poor, about 50-75% on average. They take f o r e v e r to grow roots it seems like. I've been using FFOF but recently switched to happy frog. The results still arent great. I'm thinking it could be the 3 yr old bottle of Rootone powder I'm using cuz I've been too cheap to shell out $20 for some Clonex gel. Will switching to the gel get my success rate up?

Really though, I'm thinking of ditching the whole process of cloning soil and going to hydro. The bubble cloners seem to have their own problems as well though. Lately in my searches I've seen nice results with the aero cloners. Is this the best option? Right now I'm leaning toward aero.

I'm wanting to build an aero cloner, a small/medium sized one, 8-24 sites aprox. My tentative plan is to setup a manifold out of 1/2" PVC pipe in either a square or an H pattern. Then install the microjet spryers. Plus I'll have airstones in the water/nute sol'n. My question is what size pump should I get? What about the sprayers, 180* or 360*? How many should I use?

2. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

What I have found out is the aerocloners are the best option for me with the best success. I had no success on one round with cuttings from a plant that were in flower. they stayed alive for a long time but no roots. I had better success with flowered cuttings in jiffys under a dome for some reason. You dont need the airstones my purchased one is a "H" pattern and they used 25 360 degree sprayers. It uses a 6 gallon res holds 49 clones and the large res keeps the water temp up.

Cheers

Teamster6

3. CCrete

CCrete Mr. Poopyfacepeepeehead

I just got an EZ CLONER and I've run it non stop and get atleast 25 root tips in 5 days to 7 days!!!! 100% success rate out of mmmmmm 45 so far and counting

4. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I use an Aero-Cloner 36 site unit. It has about a 24" x 24" tray about 6" deep. Although, the water level is at about 3" to allow fo the "air gap" between the stems and the water.

The inside has CPVC pipe in a HH sort of pattern, except the horizontal lines are at the top and bottom instead of the middle. It has eight 180 degree sprayers, positioned on the 4 "rails", in a 2-2-2-2 arrangement, with the outside "rails" having their 2 misters on the outermost corners at the elbow, and the center 2 "rails" have their's in the middle portion of the pipe.

It makes it to where you can adjust the mist in all areas equally, or as desired.

Each of the methods mentioned previously will work perfectly, I'm just relating mine.

I have a 100% success rate as long as I keep water in the unit and keep everything clean.

Good luck and prepare yourself, your gonna have alot of plants soon.:biggrin:

:roll:Man, I really confuse myself sometimes, I hope this is understandable! :roll:

5. greethumbumm

greethumbumm Developed Alternating Nodes

clone machine or rockwool

clone machines, be it home-made or store bought, are they way to go like everyone else say's. if you decide not to go that way, i would use a medium before i put it in soil. peat plugs or starter plugs for example, but i personally think rockwool cubes (1.5" or 2", wrapped) are the quickest with the best chances of success. this method does leave the chance of losing clones by damaging roots or from transplant shock when u put them in soil.

6. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

:potleaf-2: SAME AS ALL ABOVE!!!! Aero cloner is the only way to go. I made a 50 slot cloner out of a 8 gal rubbermaid container with an industrial style air pump and one power head to stir shit up. I have about a 75% clone success rate cause o throw out any clones that dont show roots in 5 days :nanner-2: . Also that pwder is crap IMO. Even if u got an aero cloner or made one i wouldnt use the powder ne more. Pluse the gel lasts along time. Ive found that roots form alot better and unoformaly when u rub the gel in alittle right after dipping it.:potleaf-2:

7. Mr. Gardener

Thanks for all of the advice, I went ahead and built the manifold. I'll posta pic tomorrow. I'm still a small-time grower and this will be a 9 site cloner. I'm going to install 12 sprayers. The mini res will only be 1 or max 2 gal. The bucket is 4.25gal.

What size pump do I get?

I have a 100 but I got it originally for ebb and flow. I'm not sure if it will do the job here. I'm thinking I should just dig out the reciept and exchange it for something a little beefier. Perhaps something in the 300-500 gph range?

8. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

This one running mine is 35 watts 526 gph!
    :beerchug-2:

Teamster6

9. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

IDK what ur refering to but an aero cloner is an airopontic grow machine that helps ur clones produce roots in a water mixture that is flooded with microscopic air bubbles pushed from a nice air stone and air pump. A power head isnt needed but can help. this is what my clones look like after about 7-10days. Your method also would work just pointing out the difference between the to. your set up sprays the stem were roots will soon grow and letts the water run off giving it the oxagen it needs. Mine like i said sitts in a bath of micro air bubbles and it works very very well. I also put 2 drops of superthrive per gallon and seems to help with any stress that may take place

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Gardener

boa that sounds like a bubble cloner, and once the roots are growing while submerged then it really becomes a dwc, right?

I guess I'm just debating the semantics here but from what I understand aeroponics is defined as fine mist or fog being sprayed on the roots.

The fog seems like too much trouble and expense to make it work. As for a fine mist, I don't think my system will be delivering that either as I'm not using misters. I've seen these systems marketed as aeroponic cloner systems though.

That term just makes it sound so much more complex than what it really is. All it really is a sprinkler system. They're made with PVC pipe, just like ordinary sprinkler systems. Plus, the nozzles are not really misters, but rather very small sprinkler heads.

Sprinklerponics. That's what this really is. I just coined the phrase! Now all I need to do is mass produce, and then market this revolutionary new system so I can get rich quick!

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

The differance is bubble cloners use air stones. aeroponic cloners use sprayers. They are not foggers. The below aeroponic systems built with pvc tubes run on the same principle and use SPRAYERS.

yES you are right in a essence this cloner actually turns into a dwc only with no air stones if the roots are allowed to go down in the water. As long as the roots are above water it runs by the aeroponic system.

ON the true tube aeroponics the roots are enclosed in the tubes and are not allowed to reach the nutrient but are bathed by the sprayers and the runoff runs back to the res.

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

12. Boa

Boa Cured Fat Sticky Bud

Thanks for the correction guys! I was deff. mixin up my shit! My bad homies!