Ted Nugent on gun control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Herb, May 19, 2010.

1. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Learn how to resize your photos, please. They don't really need to be that big and it's a pain to have to scan back and forth to see them.

And you might want to find some new material. Everything on that sign is so old and tired. I'm not gonna go down the list, but at least half (and that's being generous) of those points are very weak/wrong/crap.

Edit: No, way more than half.

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

Blah...

I think everyone should have guns. I would feel much better if all the peeps that can't control themselves were dead ealy in life. If everyone were free an had guns kim jung I'll wouldn't have made it past highschool age. Obama would have been shot sometime durring his whiny lil bitch stage in college, or perhaps later in life while trying to 'seem hip' these priests that like young dick would be dead.

I wish mr insanes of the world would get their hands on some nukes, kickstart ww3 so we can all go back to when life was about living vs everyone elses quality of life. Paying the man and being a "responsible member of society".

Down with the man! Rise up disestablishmentarianists! Take up your arms!!!

ANNEX ALASKA!!!!!!!

:pimp:

3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

“You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”

- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto (1884-1943)

Commander in Chief of the Japanese Navy.

-Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. Gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

4. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Personally, I'm glad to live in a country where my life and property isn't under constant threat.

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Well put GreenG.:thumbs-up:

The issue with intrusive levels of gun registration, and what today may seem like reasonable control, is that the U.S. political system works on incrementalism. It bears out in every infringement into our personal lives or expansion that the Federal or State governments have made. From minimal voluntary income taxes to withholding, from FDR era safety nets to modern day entitlements, from interstate commerce protection to Federal intrusion on State's Rights (as spectacularly exampled in Angel Raich v John Ashcroft) Once a seemingly sensible law is enacted and the people become inured to any minor infringement another seemingly sensible law is enacted that furthers that infringement. In 30 years we look back and where we ended up bears no resemblance to the intent of the original, and if was requested at the beginning would have left most of those in favor firmly against.

We need only look to District of Columbia v Heller to see exactly how far those who want impose on the Second Amendment desire to go. If the DC laws were left to stand it would be illegal to OWN ANY firearm in DC. Any weapon grandfathered in prior to the 1976 ban would require a license(which were NEVER issued) to simply move it from room to room within your private residence.

I fear this ideology of control far more than my neighbor owning firearms. It is corrosive to our U.S. Constitution and bears a far greater long term risk to further lessening of my children's future freedoms.

The NRA recognizes this and will give no ground. MMJ activists are seeing this finally function in reverse which is an extremely rare occurrence. One is more likely to see a unicorn in Central Park than witness states mandating to the Feds again in our lifetime.

Also, a gun is a tool. A tool for defense and killing all manner of things. I'll not apologize for this. It also holds true that a tool is only as useful or dangerous as the person using it. There are many tools made only for killing, some more efficient than others. The only difference is whose line do we use in determining which should be legal and which should not.

My preference is the line that our founders laid out for us. They bore the costs incurred in earning the recognition of inherent human rights and were intimately familiar in ways I cannot fathom. It seems to me that their legacy should thereby be respected with ANY intrusion on the Second Amendment to be of the barest necessity requiring specific Constitutional Amendment rather than the hodge podge we have today.

Just my never to be humble opinion.

6. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Sometimes it seems as if people think of the Constitution as being totally perfect, almost holy, and of the founding fathers as being like prophets who established the promised land of America. It all takes on a quasi-religious reverential hue.

Personally, I think patriotism should be (self-)controlled. America's version of it is particularly nauseating.

7. Green Goblin

What do you find nauseating about americas version of patriotism?

What is americas version of patriotism?

8. ResinRubber

No...Not holy or perfect but it's still the best guiding National Document of Incorporation ever written and should be muddled with sparingly. And yes, the founders were visionaries in their day coming on the end of monarchy rule in most nations. They had personal insight into loss of basic human freedoms and the costs of building a nation that you or I can't even begin to understand. So take your hyperbole of "holy" and "prophet" and ply it to somebody who plays your game Hank. I Never implied or stated such a thing. You're only trying to be abrasive....once again.

The last line of yours sounds awful funny coming from a guy who has at least partially adopted the Japanese culture.

9. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Not true. It's just something I've noticed.

And what? I feel the same way about patriotism here as anywhere else. Don't confuse culture with patriotism. I dislike Nippon Ichiban! as much as America Number One!

10. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

My life and property aren't under constant threat, and I certainly don't live in fear. I mean, if I leave my garage open overnight, there is a reasonable chance that my belongings won't be there in the morning. If I leave my truck unlocked at Home Depot, there's a reasonable chance it won't be there when I return. 99 times out of 100 it will be there, but there's a chance it won't. There's also a chance that my wife or I become the victim of a violent crime.

If a picture falls off my wall, I have a hammer to put it back up. If a screw falls out, I have a screwdriver to put it back in. If I need to get across town, I have a vehicle that will get me there. I have lots and lots of tools for lots of different uses. If someone breaks into my home with the intention of harming me or my family, I have tool to put 15 chunks of lead right in the middle of his chest. If a foreign army, or even a domestic army, invades this country and I am called upon to serve in the name of freedom, I have the tools and I'll show up prepared and ready to fight. Until such time my weapons are needed, they stay clean and put in their proper place just like all my other tools.

11. Green Goblin

Now that's funny, I didn't know you were in japan...HHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Perhaps you can filll us in as to why japan is not allowed to have an army? Being that ur there and you should know why that country in particular has such sanctions on it...

Fuck

if we don't learn from our past we are doomed :pimp:

12. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

Americans need to get over their "minute man" mentality. Nobody is going to invade America and Americans aren't going to rise up against their government someday. They are too busy watching Survivor.

All that crazy talk is just some kind of weird revolutionary fantasy lodged in the American consciousness.

CCrete likes this.
  13. ResinRubber

At the very least you're consistent.

The patriotism angle is a red herring to the discussion anyway. The validity of the foresight ensuring our Second Amendment rights is the question. Not whether one loves the USA or not.

EDIT: added in reply.

In 1940 with Hitler poised to take control of France's navy and Japan looking to militarily expand it's Pacific presence foreign invasion wasn't such a fantasy. One or two changes in key battles and fortunate research (for the U.S. anyway) we very easily could have had the battle brought to our doorstep.

Whether you believe the intent of controlling the domestic threat or not is irrelevant. It was spelled out and codified in our controlling document for a reason as was the right to private property. To ensure the rights of private property we were granted the right to protect that property, along with the right to protect our own life and liberty. Realizing that a government is incapable of protecting those rights at all times we, the citizenry, were allowed the tools needed to ensure them for ourselves. If you think these are no longer relevant threats, then by all means, take the steps to amend the Constitution and put it up for a vote and ratification instead of back dooring the process.

14. Green Goblin

I think you ass-ume much hank.

I don't watch tv at all. Don't even have bunny ears much less cable.

I think people here and everywhere else are sheep, paying homage to a false prophet working towards someone elses goals. I think the establishment has lost its ability to govern responsably, and I don't think I'm alone. In fact I think that as each day passes more and more people will be waking up to the sad truth that freedom and hierarchy do not mix. If peeps are to be equal then the establishment as it is must fall.

One thing can't be ignored...population control is under the breath of every nation on earth. GM foods are proven to be harmful and they actually say it might be useful for population control....craziiness. let get to bombing eachother so I can go buld my cabin and eat life dor breakfast. Rather than read about some guy across the continent having to resign because he couldn't keep his dick outa his coworker. What leadership we have eh?

:pimp:

'At least he admitted to it'

Yeah too bad he didn't have the fortitude to not be a cheat and a liar and self indulgent in the first place.

15. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

You know hank your like talking to a brick. You love to make it happen dont you. Every thread you seem to have a sarcastic attitude about something even to the extent one was closed.

STAY IN JAPAN

:beerchug-2:

tEAMSTER6

16. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Wow...I opened up a can of worms it seems.

All I can say is that I've owned and have been shooting firearms for most of my 40 years here on Earth and not once have I ever injured another person.

My whole take on gun control is that gun laws only work for those willing to abide by the law. Criminals and those we wish to keep guns away from do not give two shits about laws. They can and will get guns if they so choose. That pretty much nullifies the law as it was intended. Decent law abiding citizens have no need for such laws as they are not the problem trying to be dealt with...criminals are. So what good do gun laws do other than hinder good men and women? Gun control is not about keeping guns out of the hands of criminals...it's about disarming a populace so that draconian measures can be implemented. That's why the second amendment was put in place. Guns ensure our freedom from tyranny....simple as that. Will gun use be abused...sure. Nothing is foolproof, but I'd rather have the right to bear arms than not. Like it or not guns are a part of this world and forever will be and it's just not smart to bring a knife (or sword) to a gun fight. If you do...you most likely won't be going home that night.

I have to wonder though. If a situation were to arise where people who are against guns are being oppressed...will they turn away a man with a gun willing to step in and defend them with it? Makes ya wonder don't it?

17. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

excellant response:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:
    :party5: :party5: :party5: :party5:

:beerchug-2:

Teamster6

18. Hank Chinaski

Hank Chinaski Ruminating

What are you talking about, dude? Would you like me to agree with you next time? Would that make you feel better? Could we be friends then? Listen buddy, you don't need to make it personal. I haven't said anything about you.

Right.....

It seems to me Americans are scared, either of somebody robbing and/or killing them or of their government trying to make them into slaves.

I'm starting to get some visions of the future. Sorry, it doesn't look good for you guys.

19. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I read half of this but not all, but i get where its going.

Fuck it, im not going to make a dirty bomb so why is it illegal to buy plutonium? I could use Ricin to kill my fungus gnats, im sure it would work.

Iran only wants refined Uranium for power plants, why cont they have that??? Why cant any country who wants enriched Uranium have it :ponder:

Because, for every right minded person there is a fucktard!

20. ResinRubber

Has nothing to do with fear. I'm no more afraid of a home invasion or revolution than I am a heart attack because I have high cholesterol. It's simply being aware of limitations and addressing them rationally.

I know I can't stop a heart attack but eat fewer eggs and fats, exercise then go about enjoying life.

The police CANNOT adequately defend me in the event of home invasion. That's a simple fact of response time. So I rationally prepare myself then go about enjoying life.

You sound like that campaign canard, "clinging to their bibles and guns". Hank a very honest question.....seriously......do you realize how judgmental your positions are? Assuming how NRA activists view the founders as "prophets", lumping in hyper patriotism, assuming gun advocates are fearful and reacting out of that fear. Is it even a reasonable possibility to you that there are those of us who are intelligent, insightful, clear headed and happy but see things differently than you?

I'd rather enjoy continuing this debate but if the best you can come up with is "Americans are scared", the straw man patriotism argument or this beaut: "All that crazy talk is just some kind of weird revolutionary fantasy lodged in the American consciousness" then I think there's nothing more to add.