This ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by Cannagirl, May 19, 2010.

1. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I have loved grapefruit and grapefruit juice since I was a kid. I know, most ppl hate the fruit because it's got naringenin which is the cause for the bitterness (and also the drug reactions)....but i'm weird, I love it! I think I have had a glass a day for maybe 20 years. Now every time I drink it it makes me nauseus and 50% of the time I throw up.....weird, right? Only reason I can think of is maybe I have an ulcer or something and the acidity Fs with it??? I don't know much about ulcers so that is a big question mark.

I take klonopin and I know grapefruit juice and benzos don't go together unless you wanna potentiate the dose, but I only drink the GF juice in the morning and only take a klonopin at night so I don't think thats it...

Totally weird!? It's like my body is rejecting it.....it also happens when I eat grapefruit w/sugar, not only the juice. I think I will no longer be able to enjoy one of my fav fruits!

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

I would consult a body talk practitioner...

Kinda odd that ur body is rejecting something you like so much that is in fact good for you, well not bottled juice but if u were to be drinking actual juice from a real live grapefruit.

U must be in need of more chemicals. Says the fda

Hope it all gets better...I had a strange reaction to dairy products a few months ago, suddenly everyhting that had milk in it tasted funny...mabe its the chemtrails :eek:

:pimp:

3. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

couple questions

How long have you been experiencing the vomiting/nausea in response to drinking it?

How long have you been taking the K-pin?

4. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

Thanks GG :) Never heard of a body talk practiononer, i'll look into it. Mean time I will ask my reg doctors.

Scotty, Been taking benzos for several years, been taking kpins for about 6 months. Vomiting issue has just begun this month. I am also having "female" problems that are currently undiagnosed. No periods for nearly a year and not preggers. Ultrasound this week. And eek, a pelvic exam. Should know soonish, just gotta work around the medical system.

Oh and it occurs when I drink fresh white GJ juice, we gotta tree outside, or simply grapefruit ruby red which is my usual brand.

5. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

Rx

i would recommend that you absolutely describe this in fullest detail to your primary physician, or GYN.

Best of luck. I fucking hate health problems.

Let us know how this turns out.

much love

6. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

WOW. this article is extremely interesting in that my estrogen levels are obviously fucked up and I am addicted to GF juice..I will be SURE to copy this out and describe in full detail everything, oh yes Scotty I will! Mean time, I WILL not be drinking or eating anything GF related at all!

Overview

Grapefruit interacts with dozens of drugs, raising levels of the drugs in the bloodstream. It also causes changes in a woman's estrogen levels. The chemical in grapefruit does not interact directly with medicines or estrogen. Instead it binds to an enzyme in the body and reduces absorption. That leads to more of the medication or estrogen passing into the bloodstream, according to Harvard Medical School. As of 2010, research into grapefruit's impact on estrogen levels and possible long-term effects such as increased breast cancer risk was still ongoing.

Identification

Grapefruit affects the form of estrogen called estradiol, which the National Institutes of Health deems the most important form of estrogen in a woman's body. Estradiol occurs naturally and is responsible for Fallopian tube, uterus and vaginal growth. It also has a role in body fat distribution. Estradiol also can be made synthetically and used in birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy. It is sometimes administered to prevent bone loss as well, according to the University of Washington in Seattle.

Sponsored LinksWarfarin Testing at Home

Finally, a safe, easy Warfarin test taken at home - fewer office visits

www.ptinr.com

Effects

Grapefruit may cause a woman who takes birth control pills or utilizes hormone replacement therapy to higher than desired levels of estrogen in her bloodstream, according to Graedons' Guide to Grapefruit Interactions. The higher estrogen levels can lead to side effects including breast tenderness and nausea. Long-term exposure to high estrogen levels is associated with an increased breast cancer risk.

Expert Insight

A 2007 study on postmenopausal women published in the British Journal of Cancer indicates that eating a whole grapefruit daily can raise breast cancer risk because the fruit inhibits CYP3A4. This is the isoemzyme that metabolizes estrogen. This finding is only preliminary, according to the American Cancer Society, so there's not enough evidence to lead the ACS to recommend that women who want to lower breast cancer risk quit eating grapefruit. Further research into the topic is needed, though at least two other studies have concluded that estrogen levels in women who drink grapefruit juice or eat grapefruit are higher.

7. HappyHappyHighGuy

HappyHappyHighGuy dreamer and misfit

There are many foods that raise or lower estrogen level in men and women. Google 'estrogen food'

8. talltrees

talltrees A Fat Sticky Bud

i always take grapefruit juice with oxys or hydros when the rare chance to snag a few comes up. its a great potentiater

9. Glitterpixiee

Glitterpixiee Veggy Stage

Very true. If you drink pure grapefruit juice 30-45 min before your opiates you will absorb around a third more. A couple tums right before your pills helps too.

10. strawberry.cough

strawberry.cough looking into the abyss

I would check a friend of mine takes klonapin and it has the grapefruit warning on his label. I like grapefruit to but my statins don't sooooo once a month I stop the statins for a few days and enjoy a couple of grapefruit, but I wouldn't do that if I had wicked cholesteral issues. I am mostly on a dose because of my other health problems. I miss miss miss miss it