Identifying a Male

Discussion in 'Outdoor Cultivation' started by The Chronic, Sep 26, 2004.

1. The Chronic

The Chronic New Sprout

eh after youve planted about how long does it take before you can identyfy the males from the females only approx as I know different strands take longer etc... Thanks

2. manic

manic Developed Alternating Nodes

after 12/12 indoors , i,d say 1 or 2 weeks , if your outdoors , you,ll have too ask mother nature .

3. The Chronic

The Chronic New Sprout

im outside lol but what will the male be doing will it be at the start of flowering?

4. manic

manic Developed Alternating Nodes

your male will grow little green balls , soon as i spotted the first one ..., the plant got ripped out. yes it will be at the start of flowering.

(Edited by manic at 7:39 am on Sep. 26, 2004)

5. Danno33

Danno33 A Fat Sticky Bud

you can determine it now even before flowering but it is very difficult. look in the faq for that!! it contains pictures.

but as they said, the first week of flowering you will notice the balls instead of white hairs...If you see no hairs rip it out!

6. Disturbed1980

Disturbed1980 Full Flowering

alot of the times, the males will be taller and less side branching, they are not always that way but I would say its like 80 to 90% accurate to tell. I could tell the sex on all of my plants before they even started to flower, exept 1, because it looked jsut like a female.

7. Danno33

Danno33 A Fat Sticky Bud

It CAN get tricky disturbed...really tricky. it will fool even the most respected growers. But your right about the male being a taller one, but like you said ya never know...wait until it flowers CRONIC just to be safe. eventually you will be able to tell sex before it flowers, but since your new its better safe than sorry.

goodluck

8. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Always go by preflowers....and if ya still aren't sure let them go for a while as it takes a good couple weeks for pollen to be shed....just to be sure. If you see clusters growing and zero while hairs it's male. If you see white hairs sticking out it's female....As Danno said...check the FAQ's....there are excellent pics in there that show you exactly what to look for. :smoke2: