What tripped your trigger?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by daytrypper, Dec 27, 2009.

1. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

I assume at some point we were all law abiding citizens, to varying degrees, content to buy weed from our "guy", and put up with whatever quality we were able to get our hands on.
    Then one day, an epiphany. You decide you can manage the risks involved, fuck the consequences, and set up shop as a cannabis cultivator.

So what was that day like?

Mine came after spending six months being laid off from my job. With ass tons of time on my hands, and the stir crazy's setting in from a long Midwest winter, I needed a hobby. More than that I needed a hobby that could provide a positive net effect to my cash flow.
    My garden project probably saved my sanity over the past year. Its amazing what a little time in you garden can do to lift your spirits.

stickyicky24 likes this.
  2. Mr. Gardener

Mr. Gardener Full Flowering

One day I just plain got tired of having to shell out money every month for something that grows in the damn ground.

I must say though, even though I have not yet recouped all the money I have invested in equipment, it is a joy to watch the plants grow. No matter how bad my day has been, when I look upon those lush leaves and buds it brightens up my day.

3. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

"My Guy", was a former co-worker who lived a bunch of guys and they just threw a couple dozen seeds in a pot put it under a heat lamp. They had a friend who knew what was up and kept helping out cause she couldn't bear to see the neglect/ignorance. Every week I'd get to see the progress and get updates...I was fascinated. When they harvested their 3 female plants that were 5' tall and got less than an ounce of super fluffy tasteless herb... They gave me the light. That's right, one 250w Incandescent heat lamp, just like they use to keep food warm on a buffet table. It took me about 3 weeks to realize that there was lots of info available online about this and I should be reading it. That's when I found GK. I lurked and read all the FAQ's and Grow guides before I joined. The hobby is great on so many levels. Sanity preservation is definitely a benefit of working with and caring for living things.

I hope to never stop.

Grat

4. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

recession......and I love to live on the edge

5. HeadCase

HeadCase Old Prick

When the price went from $35 to $45 for a 1/4 oz that did it for me.-Bud

6. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

I dont grow.

7. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

I thought you were doing a hydro?

8. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

He's been smoking those bugs.

9. Psycho D

Psycho D LEE VAN SPLEEF

I hate pot dealers.

:smokin:

10. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

I just like plants, and love weed.

11. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

Yea right skuzzy I suppose you dont smoke either!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl:
    Teamster6

12. Mr Douglas

Mr Douglas still stoned again still

It's not so much as I hated slingers, as much as the older I got, the 'sketchier' my bi-monthly hook-ups became....maybe it became a generational thing.

Now I look back and think of the thousands of $$ i've saved, as well as the numerous rendezvouses (<----is that a word?) I didn't have to make.

I will quit smoking before I go out and purchase from the street again.

A bud in the hand is worth 2 off the street. :rocker:

TheCarpenter likes this.
  13. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

same thing. Harder to make connections to buy off the street and never available when you have the money to buy it anyway.

So much more enjoyable to grow it and have it whenever you want. Isnt that how it should be anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teamster6

14. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

I went to my buddies house who grows and seen a big fat bud on the table I asked him if i could have a piece of the bud and he just gave me the whole thing. It was a nice bud pretty good too.. then I found two seeds and said fuck it, I germed them and watched them sprout and then I found GK, I read for a few days then asked questions, then asked some more and some more, now I answer questions to newbs like I was over a year ago, even though I still consider myself a newbie at least I can help other newbs grow like people helped me.

TheCarpenter likes this.
  15. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

We seem to move around a lot, so for me it's always been tough finding connections in new cities. I'm not bold enough to just walk up and ask people. Being in construction though, you can eventually find some fellow stoners on the job site. Then just start working up the chain. When I lived in Texas a few years ago I was getting shitty mex-brick for $50. a half and $80. an oz. Then we moved back to Cali and I had to start over again. :icon_rolleyes: For awhile I was actually flying back to Texas (for work) and buying an O and flying back. It was quite dangerous. Then I hooked up with an old friend. I was paying a $100. a quarter for some decent stuff. But he lived an hour and a half away, and it was a real pain in the ass to get. He's a real lazy ass now and kept flaking on me, and I'll only put up with that crap for so long. :fingermad:

So I said screw that and I started looking around in my local 1 horse town :deadhorse: to find a closer source. Not easy to do when everybody knows everybody and you're not in the fold. First I found one guy that turned out to be this weird swinger dude that suggested my wife and I join him and his boytoy for an orgy. 3 on 1, the one being my wife. :yikes: :yikes:

Then I met this Mexican guy at the river that was a real cool guy, but he turned out to be a hardcore gangster. He sold me a 1/4 of shiity brick for $50., plus I had to give him gas money AND about 2 joints worth out of the bag AND smoke him out. Then this fucker, who I'd just met, hits me up for a "loan" to get his old lady out of jail. :rofl: Meanwhile this whole time his "boy" is sitting at the table mad dogging me. :smokin:

That was the day I said "No more!!" and started shopping for supplies. I haven't bought a bag since, and wouldn't even know where to go if I wanted to. I suppose If I was still buying on the street I would have tried harder to get a medical card.

In a month or so I'm moving again, and it's a good feeling knowing that as long as I can make what I have last until I can get set back up, I'll be just fine. :thumbsup:

Give a man a joint, he's high for a day.

Teach a man to grow, he's high for a lifetime :bongin:

16. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

Interesting thread . . .

For me it was a blessing in disguise. I'm a plumber and had an accident carrying a toilet. I cut my hand very bad and had to have 2 surgeries to repair the tendon damage.

Within a day or so of injuring my hand I came to the realization that I would run out of weed, money, food and a place to live if I don't find some way to survive.

I went to Home Depot and got some Miracle Grow potting soil (It's the best around isn't it?), some 1 gallon pots and dug out some bag seed.

Soon after the seeds sprouted, I realized I had NO CLUE what to do next. So, I searched the internet for some sort of growing guide. I stumbled across OverGrow and wasn't thrilled about anything it had to offer(Looking back I'm not sure what it was that turned me off about OG), so I continued on to find GK and was basically in a 12 hour a day learning program through GK.

After that my seeds were upgraded to "real seeds", and my array of flouro's has turned into about 1600watts of ganja growing energy.

I am FOREVER grateful to GK for all the lessons I've learned here . . . both growing and personal.

I have been so successful with my grow show that I haven't had to buy weed and have been able to help ALOT of people out getting their weed at reasonable prices.

I recently got my Medical Marijuana License and have been so intrigued by all the dispensaries and all the different pot available to the MMJ patient, that I've been paying $50 an 1/8 just to sample all the different strains I'd always heard so much about.

While my grow was stealth, I wasn't able to expand my variety and anything cuz I was scared about being busted for growing my own pot. Now, I grow my own medicine and I run 7 different strains and I'm back at GK for life brothers and sisters!

Growing has been the single most enjoyable thing for me to do in my entire life. I hope you all get the same "thrill" out of your grow's.

17. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

No shit man, I remember that first grow! He turned up with a desk lamp and a seedling!

Within a year he was posting 2k grows with his home made DWC lol :rofl:

18. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Grow i dont, smoke i do :thumbsup:

19. Nilzar

Nilzar A Fat Sticky Bud

Yeah man, remember this setup?

[​IMG]

went from that to this

[​IMG]

in about a year... damn I remember my first grow, I was so frustrated and pissed... lol good times

20. smoker69

smoker69 Excommunicated

great thread

:animbong: those are all great stories. Back when I was married i had 2 drive like 2hrs to get a bag. And I could only afford a 1/4 at a time. lol we had like $300 left on a 5k card, so I bought a 430 HPS on the internet. LOL I b divorced these days. :smokin:

I never did finish a grow married. Now the light is all thats left. done a couple grows but this is the latest. Just some bagseed. starting to smell like pineapple of all things. of the 10 or so seeds two sprouted. One male and a female. Wuhoo!

Actually it was a fair trade.

peace