Plz help! Nute issue!

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by johnnybgoode, Oct 5, 2006.

1. johnnybgoode

johnnybgoode Rasta Intern

I'm growing Grapefruit which is at about its second week of flowering. It was growing amazing for the first five to six weeks and then something happened. I fed it with epsom salt and then it returned to normal. Then in another week, it began doing bad stuff. The bottom leaves have significantly yellowed and have developed brown spots, they are twisted a little. Also, at the top, the stem looks thin and weak. There is a little red/purple to be seen at various spots around the leaves.
    Basically, I thought it was an issue of Potassium and Phosphorus, so I've just recently flushed my soil and put Budswel on top of the soil (0-7-0), followed by fertilizing with 24-6-16. How long should it take for this to return to normal? Is there more I have to do? Any help would be REALLY appreciated!
    A final question: Would using a Brita filter on feeding water effect this?
    Peace. 8 - Post_Fert_Top.jpg

somethingwrong2.jpg

2. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

What is your Ph? You need to know that first before you start adding more shit to her.

3. johnnybgoode

My pH is actually doing fine... that is, right around 6.5 and 7. I made sure to check and adjust with lime. Maybe I should have mentioned that I think there is a tad too much perlite per soil in my mix (?)... I don't know...

4. SMARMY

SMARMY Cuban Bee

Its hard to tell w/out pics but if your ph is fine and epsom helped it might be a MG defficieccy.

5. johnnybgoode

You might be right about the Magnesium deficiency, but I'm not sure if that explains the brown spots...? Anyway, here's two better pictures of the lower leaves; one is severely dead; some others are severely yellow...

8 - Yellowing.jpg

9 - Shriveled.jpg

/monthly_2006_10/57a6c912f422c_8-Yellowing.jpg.d0d4cf59053700df4b0d23c5a8d6438c.jpg

/monthly_2006_10/57a6c9130692d_9-Shriveled.jpg.5f7cf4e2ebcada682dd67661afe2e346.jpg

6. trillions of atoms

trillions of atoms Latae Sententiae Excommunication

have u fed them......

so the ph runoff of the feed water is 6.5?? or the water you feed with is 6.5??

7. johnnybgoode

Yeah, I've fed her a good deal. Anyway, I'm now using tap water, so I'm not certain of that pH, but I know that my soil is at 6.5 to 7.

8. trillions of atoms

you need to check the ph and get analysis on the tap water- it could be calcium problem- soft/hard water- all sorts of crap in tap water. go to a local water treatment plant and get an analysis.

could be an over micronute fert problem or a diffency.....even mg - who knows?

9. johnnybgoode

Is there an easier way than going to a water treatment plant? Can I use my soil pH tester? Also: Do you know if a Brita filter would help/hurt??

10. trillions of atoms

could be chloriene doing it if your not filtering it or letting the chloriene waft off. why are you lazy? can you not drive for a minute and take 2 seconds of effort? yeah theres an easier way- pay someone- maybe a friend to go get one.....sheesh.

brita will help....SOME. but not fix yer problem!

buy a ph meter w a probe and a ppm/ec meter too-

11. johnnybgoode

I have been using the Brita filter throughout the plant's life, and I used steam distilled water earlier on. Occassionally I have used tap water, but not often. Also, I will be leaving for the weekend, so I don't have time to check the exact pH of my tap water--which might take more than two seconds. But perhaps you're right that the pH or Chlorine could lock up nutrients (?)... I don't know... I just tested by tap water by the cheap soil pH tester I have, and I think it's really meant for soil, because it showed that my tap water is at 9-10 (alkaline/basic) pH!!

Anyway, since I need a quick fix, would Jewel-Osco or another generic brand have steam distilled water good enough for feeding my wonderful Grapefruit mama??

12. johnnybgoode

I think y'all were right. It has something to do with the high alkalinity of my tap water... so, I've picked up some spring water from the local grocery store, and I'm ready to lay down some nutrients. Now, however, I'm unsure of what nutrients to feed the plant before I leave for three days...??! Please help!

13. johnnybgoode

To anyone who is following my Grapefruit (Female Seeds) grow...I will be sure to post pictures asap after this weekend to show the result of switching to spring water and re-fertilizing.Also, if anyone is interested, I'm also growing one C'99 plant (Female Seeds). My C'99 seems to have encountered basically the same issues as my Grapefruit to a lesser extent; it is much younger. I'm not sure if the picture is really clear, but there is some red stem action and the very bottom single-finger leaves are yellowed with a few brown spots....Again, we'll see the difference in my tap vs. spring water next week. Thanks for your guys' help! I had no freakin' clue that water was my problem! I thought my Brita filter was flawless! Thanks dudes, and peace!

c99-2.jpg

/monthly_2006_10/c99-2.jpg.d4beccebafc0a509f40f415b12f027e7.jpg