The Battle For Colorado

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana' started by Bud Greenright, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Bud Greenright

Bud Greenright In the garden, you?

The future of Medical marijuana in Colorado is hanging in the balance as local and state governments take up the issues regarding the regulations surrounding Article 14 of Amendment 20 to the state of Colorado constitution. This amendment gives Colorado residence the right to medical marijuana as long as it is prescribed by a doctor.
    Current legislation has been approved by committee but not voted on in the full house or senate this bill is mainly aimed at restricting Doctors who prescribe medical marijuana.
    This website contains the current bill SB10-109
    www.leg.state.co.us

http://www.leg.state.co.us/Clics/CLICS2010A/csl.nsf/BillFoldersSenate

We need all compassionate Coloradans to stand up for patience rights at every city council meeting, every county zoning board meeting, every political open house forum, hosted by a state senator or representative. At the local levels get in touch with your city councilman or your county commissioners directly, ask them if they are in favor of violating peoples constitutional rights.
    This battle has begun and will continue throughout the rest of the summer. Lets fight the ramrod legislation that will only be overturned through messy lawsuits, and ask our elected leaders to do the will of the people and take a measured, pragmatic approach to allowing MMJ patience to safely and easily obtain there medicine.
    So lets be vigilant and get involved. Post progress reports if you are in a part of Colorado with local restrictions by municipal governments. Some of these restrictions are illegal and there are many groups that can help you fight them at the local level.
    ColoradoMMJDirectory.com

:iwojima:

2. RkyMtnWayHigh69

RkyMtnWayHigh69 2010 NAGC Winner

I hear what your screamin` brother. I'd love to get more involved in MMJ politics, but I don't know how really.

It sounds like your in my area. I'd love to find out more. PM me or whatever. I'm VERY interested in attending any and all public hearings regarding my right to use and posses MMJ.

Thanks so much Bud Greenright for pointing this out. I will do EVERYTHING in my power to make our cause heard.

I have alot of free time and would love to meet more people in the MMJ community. Please let me know how I can help. :)

3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe papa oom mow mow

Count me in as well :beerchug-2:

You weren't kidding Rky, I better hurry up. :wink:

4. smoker69

smoker69 Excommunicated

In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in too. legislation is good or a civil war just to get the bloody job done.

5. RkyMtnWayHigh69

No shit, I didn't realize it would start to lock down this quick, but you know how those politicians work . . . :$ $$:

Fuckin bastards!

6. AverageJoe

teens and pot

Here is an article that was recently in the Denver Post.

The article is crap, but more importantly I wanted to post one of the comments that was left in response.

http://www.denverpost.com/opinion/ci_14289807

:beerchug-2:

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

The author of the article did hit one nugget of truth,

This is the true root of the issue.

8. Bud Greenright

More Info

I can tell by your name you live in Colorado. I don't know where though so a good place to start is at this website cppc-cog.org

Does your county have a website? Check with them call or email your Conty Commissioner or City Council.

9. Rollinbonz

Rollinbonz Baptised By Satan

As long as it's medicinal,

Until the day comes when weed is legal for everyone, medicinal or not, big brother and their keepers, the pharm companies, will be hovering and outright taking over before you know it. Don't think that when things shake out with the different state (and eventually pharm backed federal laws) that the pharm companies won't spend millions on congressional lobbying and campaign donations or bribes as I like to call them, to pass legislation that will benifit them and fuck us. The days of old will be back where when a patient is in need they will have to pad the pockets of those companies at their local neighborhood pharmacy or be an outlaw again. Unfortunatly the writing is on the wall, just look at the Jersey law. I'm not trying to rain on the parade but if we're prepared, the better off for the ensuing fight we will be. I don't live in Colorado, but I think the medicinal angle could be a catch-22 situation unless prohibition is ended period.

10. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Thanks for the info, Average Joe. Very interesting read. I'm doing all I can to turn my personal experiences with MMJ into something I can use to inform and educate the general public.

I'm an alcoholic and I would be dead as of July 2001, if it wasn't for the choice I made to rid my life of such an evil killer.

I used marijuana to relieve stress and help me through the long days of alcohol withdrawals. Thorazine was suggested, if you have any clue what that is . . .

Marijuana helped me save my own life and I know it could have helped countless others who are dead now.

I am also a Gulf War veteran with PTSD and I know marijuana helps me deal with life on a daily basis. I can't keep the thoughts and visions of what I saw and did out of my head, but I can keep them out of the front of my thoughts with marijuana. None of the depression meds they had me on would do that, only marijuana.

I owe marijuana my life and I am willing to dedicate my life to the further legalization of MMJ and keeping our rights as MMJ patients. This is a deathly serious subject for me and if I was helped in such a great way, with MMJ, I MUST spread the word so others inflicted with the same illnesses can have some peace of mind and a great nights sleep! God Bless The Ganja!

Very true, ResinRubber! I believe yes!

Bud Greenright - I looked at the site and was very intrigued. I decided to call and see if I could find out more and the # is disconnected. :(

Bummer!

11. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Great points - RollinBonz! I totally agree with what your saying. But, we can't let that happen. I for 1 am willing to stand up and REFUSE to let go of the medicine that helps me in such great ways.

If I wasn't a MMJ user, I would be miserable and most likely a drunk or dead. I WILL NOT allow ANY government agency to take from me the life giving strength MMJ gives me. I know the pharm companies would love to have me taking the 4-5 meds I am prescribed, but as long as I have my MMJ i can function semi-normally in this fucked up world we live in.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . They'll have to pry my MMJ from my COLD DEAD HANDS, MY FUCKING COLD DEAD HANDS . . . so help me God!

:iwojima: <----- I love this little emoticon.:biggrin: So appropiate! ------> :iwojima:

12. Rollinbonz

I couldn't agree more RMW. I have 4 DWI's, 2 of them paper felonies. Without weed I know for a fact that I would of never of stopped drinking and I would probably be dead from cirrosis because I have Hep C, or killed in a drunken car accident or worse, kill an innocent or be locked down for life as a habitual offender. My liver isn't in too bad of shape because I quit drinking (thanx to MJ) a few years prior to my diagnosis and haven't drank for more than 12 years now and 1990 was my last arrest. Right now I'm in a very unfriendly mmj state, posession of any amount from a seed to 14g is a misdemeanor and above that a felony so I'm basically a walking bust just waiting to happen but I really don't give a fuck cause it's the only thing that calms the rage (the root of all my problems) I have inside. No ones gettin my weed either without a fight. I really hope everything works out in Colorado because it's on my short list of states to move to within the next few years.

Those rants felt good, thanks RMWH:passsit:

13. RkyMtnWayHigh69

Congratts on the 12+ years of sobriety. I'm at just about 9 years and I've NEVER been happier in my life than I am right now.

I love my life and would love to see others wake up to the same realizations as you and I .

I had 2 DUI's and countless driving under suspension and no insurance tickets while I was a drunk.

Since I quit drinking alcohol, I haven't had ANY police contact . . . other than in Florida where they treat marijuana like the Nazi's treated the Jews. I'm a Florida native, but FUCK FLORIDA!

Now, I'm rambling . . . as you can tell this is a sore subject with me. I must make my voice heard!

14. Rollinbonz

9 Is fuckin awsome

Thanx on the 12 and grats on your 9 which is not an easy feat. I definatly don't miss the hangovers! No problem with rambling, I like to rant about the laws because they can be frustrating at times since there's still a lot up in the air as to how this is all going to pan out in the next few years and better to vent than hold it in.

But Damn, I thought I was being covert with my location, so much for using that fuckin Romanian proxy server now :dink: . Worst part is I moved from NY a year and a half ago and they are now working on MMJ legislation in the assembly, at least that's the last I knew, I haven't checked in awhile.

I've watched a life long friend and a cousin lose to booze, it's not a pleasant way to go and I wouldn't reccomend it.

Sorry BG if it seems like I highjacked your thread, I didn't mean to.

15. RkyMtnWayHigh69

:rofl6: Yea, sorry Bud for assisting in the hi-jacking of your thread. :rofl6:

I digress! ;)

16. AverageJoe

Medical marijuana bill passes in Colorado Senate

February 1, 7:20

Dreams of recreational pot users who want to get their hands on medical marijuana may have just gone up in smoke.

The Colorado Senate passed a bill that put strong restrictions on usage of medical marijuana and set guidelines for doctors who make recommendations for medical marijuana users.

Senate Bill 109 passed overwhelmingly 34-1. :shocked: It is sponsored by Sens. Chris Romer, D-Denver, and Nancy Spence, R-Centennial.

The bill would keep doctors from writing recommendations inside the state's growing number of medical marijuana dispensaries, require physicians to review the medical history and give full exams to those who seek approval to buy the drug.

Also under the bill, people who are between the ages of 18 and 21 would have to get the approval of two doctors before becoming medical marijuana users.

17. RkyMtnWayHigh69

I can honestly say I don't have any problems with these particular amendments to the law.

It probably isn't the best idea to have the Dr. on-site at the dispensary. The Dr. and the dispensaries should have no problem renting a small office space to see patients. Just my opinion.

I also think unless they do some sort of medical exam, how could the Dr. honestly evaluate anyones need for anything. My regular Dr. gives me an exam EVERYTIME I see him. Again, I have no problem with this and actually think its a good idea.:idea:

And lastly, I'm not between 18 - 21 so I don't have to worry about that ever again. But, I do feel that anyone 18 is an adult . . . if they can suck dick on video legally, :bj:they should be able to drink or use MMJ legally. I don't agree with this part of the bill.

Great post AverageJoe!:ebert:

18. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I'm really torn on this one. Rcky I see your point and tend to agree with you on the front of regulating purely MMJ use. It only makes sense to require a full physical before prescribing any new medication. If our interest is soley to keep MJ as a "drug" then this is the logical conclusion.

It hits hard against the ultimate goal of llicit use of MJ by ANY adult tho. Being a complete anti Prohibitionist I see this as the politicians calling our bluff of using MMJ as a ruse to further that cause. If the only true issue were access to a medicinal drug we wouldn't care who we needed to get it from or if REAL medical review took place. We'd go to the Dr., get our precsription, buy our Forest Labs capsulized MJ extract from a pharmacist and use our med.

In reality, we are defending a lifestyle and putting light to the lie of selective Prohibition as it pertains to *our* drug of choice while piggy backing on the MMJ cause. To me, MJ use as a homeopathic medicine should be no different than my grandmother who took a shot of brandy and warm milk as a sleep aid and social use should be the same as alcohol.

Anything short is defeat.

cheers

19. RkyMtnWayHigh69

What I see here is you and I are talking about 2 different things.

I too would love to see TOTAL legalization of marijuana for any use desired. But the reality is that isn't happening right now, but it is making progress.

I'm talking about MEDICAL use and has to fall under different regulations as recreational use would.

I need my MMJ and refuse to take a handfull of pills everyday to relieve my ills, when I can get better results from a completely natural substance.

So, because I am able to get my marijuana legally though the MMJ registry, thats the route I must forge.

Believe me, if I could use recreationally I wouldn't need to have a Dr. recommend my marijuana use and it wouldn't matter to me what regulations they put on MMJ.

But, the fact is the ONLY "real" way of using marijuana legally in my area, right now, is medical marijuana. So, thats the direction I'm focusing my energy.

Make sense?

:) :passit:

20. Bud Greenright

This state legislation does put restrictions on the ability of a doctor to treat the patient with all the means necessary and at there disposal which is a constitutional right -ROE V WADE. It is up to medical lawyers to challenge and sue the state for hindering the doctors rights.

The GOOD news is it does not unfairly regulate medicinal dispensaries who provide the medicine. A lot of city and county regulations are being Ram-rodded through so at the local level it is important to keep vigilant. I hope this is the last piece of state legislation we see passed this year, it is as good as we can hope for,:dog-nana: with most of the state legislature trying to figure out the budget it looks like 2010 will be a year for alternative medicine to pay its own way and prove it can be beneficial to a states overall heath and well being.

ResinRubber and RkyMtnWayHigh69 like this.