Any electricians out there?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by coconuthead, Jun 16, 2010.

1. coconuthead

coconuthead Begun Flowering

I need some summer time help. As you know it's hotter than sin outside and even hotter in my house. I've got two attic fans that I want to install on each end of the attic. Was wondering what all I needed to do the install properly and safely. There is a light socket in the closet where the entrance to the attic is. Was thinking of tapping into that to power everything. I wanted to also mount a light up there and then branch off the light fixture to the fans. Any advice on how to go about this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

electricians...

i am electrical engineer and i get my stuff done by a professional electrician...unless you know how to do it please skip it and have someone who is trained...it is the best thing...not like plumbing or carpentry or any of the other trades..

not sure what anyone else will say but this is the best advice you will get...i promise....

good luck

3. NOTthatTIGER

NOTthatTIGER Developed Alternating Nodes

FANZ, not lights, right?...ok, here try this.

open yer breaker box.

look where you can put in a new breaker, and make note of, type, amps (10amps is ok, i think)of service.

close breaker box

identify the amps you are using, and go to the home depot for the correct breaker switch.

purchase the correct type, and amount of wire..(romex, or equivelant),and conduit nails, conduit, and outlets(DEF GFI type, imho, etc.

USE STEEL CONDUIT!!!!(so you dont have to rip into yer walls to do this.)

run yer conduit, and wire, down the walls, from the attic.

install all yer outlets, (max two per circuit, please)

open yer breaker box door, armed with battery operated light source.

KILL THE POWER.

remove panel cover

finish running the wire into the box, follow the rules of the panel, and install the breaker.

ok, the top of main breaker is STILL LIVE!!!!!! (do not touch)

the bottom of main breaker is dead. use the same color, and gauge wire, and install wire..(allen head, flat blade screw,or red/black button depending on the breaker)

attach the lode side of yer new breaker, to yer new wire, (going to outlets in attic)install panel cover.

open panel door, and turn on main, and then turn on yer new breaker.

if you fucked it up, you'll know right away.

on a scale of 1- 10, this is a 2,or a 3 for a skilled hand, or licensed sparky

a 4, or 5 for a regular carpenter, and a 9 or a 10 for an electrical engineer(jk) :)

the parts used these days, are really easy to work with, self explanatory, and usually still come with instructions.

you can do this.

you can also call an electrician, and pay him to do it, and totaally feel good about that as well.

and also, ncmaineac is totally correct. if you are not comfy, dont do it.

a leak is one thing, a fire is another... i hope we talkin' 'bout single phase 110 here, not 220, three phase, or delta high leg.

if anything other than 110, DEF call a sparky.

4. NOTthatTIGER

i have to agree...i also support doing things your self....sooooo.

if you are the type of person that when your gas pedal sticks to the floor, it does NOT occur to you to turn the ignition OFF, very quickly, you should not attempt it...if you are a real DIYer, you can do this.

:passsit:

5. The Tron

The Tron ONE MAN GANG

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and look at the DIY books,feel free to ask for local contractors while you are there.

Not sure you are going to get A+ electrical advice in the smokers lounge of a marijuana growing forum, but hell we could be wrong so lets hang on and see :popcorn-2:

6. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

My advice as a sparky.....call a trained sparky to do the job right. :light:

It's not a complicated job for someone who is well trained, but to try and explain over the internet how to do a job such as this is extremely difficult. There are so many factors involved that only a person there looking at what you have to work with would be able to provide the info you asked for. You're better off looking for someone that can help you in person IMO.

7. coconuthead

I'll probably end up having to hire somebody as much as I hate to. But, better to be safe than sorry. I'd probably feel a lot better about doing it myself if there was a light fixture or a circuit already up there but there isn't. Here are the fans I'm working with.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_62506-228-WCGB_4294858180_4294937087?catalogId=10051&productId=1094913&Ne=4294937087&currentURL=%2Fpl_Power%2BGable%2BVents_4294858180_4294937087_&N=4294858180&identifier=Power+Gable+Vents&langId=-1&storeId=10151&ddkey=http:productDisplay

The specs are 120v 60hz 3.4 amps each. I couldn't really find any more info on them.

I found these in the garage and I guess they never got installed. The previous owner of the house apparently was a very hands on DIYer. You can tell by the crazy wiring all over the place. Probably have to hold off on this project for a little while. Any idea on how much a job like this would run for?

8. Herb

Herb Mountain Man

Without seeing it first hand...not a clue. I have no idea what's involved.

9. mt.king

mt.king mud drags champion

ask herb

I am a genius iq level 185 but can't spell but what I read I remember and understand if you have to ask you don't know if I don't know ill ask read hire some qualifide person electricity and fire are the most deadly things in your home respect them and they will treat you the same . So I would hire a certified liscensed and bonded electrical contractor me I can wire 3phase because I've read the course and taken the exams I'm qualifide but not certifide and I still have my friend an inspector check if I've never done it or am unsure

You can't see electricity and when you do find it where it don't belong it usualy KILLS

The only two things that scare me are fire and electricity SO PLEASE be safe

10. NOTthatTIGER

yeah, i've noticed that about you....not a bad thing....at all

:fire: IS NOTHING TO FUCK WITH

11. ncmaineac

ncmaineac Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

c you could have quit

after my first post...lol...btw..wanted to tell you those attic fans work great....we live in the sunny south , nc, and my brother lives near charlotte...one of the hottest fucken places i have ever been and he has an attic fan...works great during day...and at night...gets so cold it has to be shut off...

so it should help you..

good luck...:beerchug-2:

12. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

My IQ was 153 when I was 18...

When my gas pedal sticks while accelerating in the jeep on the high-way...I prefer to stomp on the pedal several times...that seems to fix it...and it werx every time! :bigok:

:roll:

13. coconuthead

I hear you man. I live in TN, in a river valley no less, with all the humidity it gets hot as fuck. It was fuckin 94 degrees out today with over 60% humidity. I was working on my compost bin and sweating my ass off. Hopefully I can get this shit taken care of soon. Thanks for the help guys.