Ventilation and temp help

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by jeffdamann, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jeffdamann

jeffdamann Germinated

I grow in a 2x6x10 growroom. I have a 50 cfm fan bringing cold air in from under the house ..no bends in the ductwork. I have a 70 cfm fan taking air out, taped onto my reflector but not blocking light, once again no bends.
    When I close the doors the lowest temp I get is low 90's... How can I fix this problem.Oh yeah I have tinfoil everywhere and a 1000 watt metal halide. Its my first grow and I dont want to fuck it up. Thanks.

2. NUGZ

NUGZ Full Flowering

how many plants do you have in this space? i am going to be growing in a similar sized closet with alot of the same issues that you are experiencing. that seems to be the biggest downfall in closet growing- controlling temperature and keeping cool air coming in and hot air going out. that is alot of wattage for that small of a closet if u ask me... :D

3. jeffdamann

jeffdamann Germinated

Im currently growing 12 plants sitting on an ironing board 3 feet from the light. In addition to the in-line fans I have, I also have a standard floor fan sitting on a chair aimed upwards at an angle of probably 130 degrees. I also have a fan taking air out of the closet at the top, but thats with my door open. The only way I can maintain anything near 70's.. mostly mid to high 80's is to have all that stuff plus tha a/c on.

4. greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny Excommunicated

You will get good dense buds with that light in your grow space. You really need to get a bigger inline fan with a CFM rating 4 times the grow space size and duct the hot air out of your grow. You will have instant temp change:)

5. TimmyTrees

TimmyTrees Begun Flowering

I had a similar problem in that my 70 CFM exhaust fan wasn't getting the hot air out. My temps were averaging in the low 90's when the door to the box was closed, which resulted in stunted growth.

Some changes I made:

1. Switching the lights ON during the night. The cooler night temps, helped bring the overall temp in my grow room down (its a box inside a patio closet).

2. Adding more osciallting fans. Right now I've got two 12" osciallting fans running to help circulate air/heat. They've helped a bit, bringing temps down a few degrees.

3. As I am still in veg, I can keep the door to my grow room open 24/7. This keeps my temps down to about 77 F (PERFECT!) but during flowering I'll need to have the door shut most of the time. Before then, I will be installing a 265 CFM fan/blower, that should bring my temps down drastically. From what I've read/heard, GreenThumbDanny's suggestion is right and I will be taking it.

The bottom line is that your 60 & 70 CFM fans simply aren't powerful enough to vent the heat from a 1000W HPS. Also, tinfoil is a BAD idea, and I would recommend taking it down and painting the inside of your room flat white, or using mylar board. Hope this helps...