AlienBait Tries LEDs, Part 2

Discussion in 'The Growkind Gallery' started by AlienBait, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

wow, the led plant is looking GOOD, considering it isnt getting any "real light"

nice and frosty......

AB, you never fail to amaze me....!

2. morel

morel Guest

leds

Check out ebay for a large selection of leds in red and blue light spectrum's. I have also found that they cost about half of what you will pay any where else.:sign13:

3. Mrgreengenes

Mrgreengenes Administrator

Looking good as always alienbait,, keep up the experiments with the lights!!! :)

AlienBait likes this.
  4. AlienBait

AlienBait Custom User Title

Is that an ad for ebay? It is your only post, so I am going to assume it is :XXspam: .

5. AlienBait

Experiment is over

Well, I had two more lights blow-up. I am going to end the experiment before any more blow and start a fire. I am also going to recommend that if any one is interested in buying LED lights, DO NOT buy them from Gro-Tek. So far 3 lights blew-up and I will not use them any more. I might take them apart and use the components to build my own arrays.

I already moved the LED plant into the closet with the HPS and will finish up the last two weeks in there.

I will keep this thread updated until harvest. ;)

I apologize for any inconvenience. :p

6. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Sorry to hear man...

Glad you you're only out the lights...can't think of much worse than a grow related fire.

You even get to keep the plant:smokin:!

Oh wait, you don't need it, lol!

Thanks for keeping us informed, still lots of fun even if we don't get to see a final yield comparison.

I'm interested to see how the plant handles that light switch!

"I apologize for any inconvenience." - now that's funny!

All the best AB!

Gratitude

7. smoke24/7

smoke24/7 burning 1 down

my friend bought 12 of the 14 watt light kits from homegrownlights.com and his stuff is looking pretty amazing, ive been trying to convince him to let me take some pics but he's not letting me yet. he just put all the panels in a rectangle in a box that was just big enough to fit them. some of the rows of lights have gone bad but after he's finished with this grow he's going to test and fix them. you have to assemble those lights and thats why they are cheap but if you can be patient enough to put them together then you could have a decent setup.

8. morel

morel Guest

no spam just facts

ebay has been the cheapest easiest place to purchase much of the high dollar equipment that I have used (normally 30 % lower), If you know of a cheaper easier place please let me know and I will use them also.

I'm not so worried about big brother seeing what I buy on ebay or the web, because I'm 100% disabled hold a medical marijuana card for the state of Montana.

only cheaper way for leds, is to buy a box 10,000 leds of each color spectrum from a large manufacturing company (((((name withheld for fear it could be construed as spam by some)))) and then wire up your own lights and power:smokin:

I plead the 5th and smoke the 1/8

9. friendlyfarmer

friendlyfarmer Rollin' Coal

10. AlienBait

Well, thanks for the comments guys. Morel, sorry if I caused offense. It's just that was your first post and sounded like a commercial. Just so you know, I did get these lights from Ebay. Gro-Tek has an Ebay store and that's where I picked these up. Friendly Farmer, That is the exact HPS light that I have and I got that off Ebay as well. When I got mine, it was $20.00 cheaper on Ebay than it was at their web site. So, they do have Ebay sales from time to time. Keep an eye out. smoke24/7, I have one of those 14 watt LED panels as well. I have not assembled it yet, but I will be using it for my spring-time experiments. I have also designed my own and bought the LEDs I think will work better than just red and blue. For now, I am going to keep it a secret as to what color/type of LEDs I'm using. If it works out, I just might start my own LED Grow-light company. :) Everyone else who posted, thanks for the kind words. Here is the final update. Yes, I know, it's been a while... I thought I had better finish this thread before the end of the year (a couple of hours to spare, LOL!). As mentioned earlier, I had to finish the LED plant under the HPS because the LED lights kept exploding. It took another 3 weeks to finish off both plants. I had a little mold problem on the HPS plant, even though there was a fan blowing right on it from about a foot away. It did not affect a large area so I just cut the bad stuff out. Mandala (the breeder) says you should check for mold and they are right. That was one thick cola. [​IMG] So, here are the final pictures: 1) The plants: HPS on the left and LED on the right. The leaves are yellow because I used nothing but water for the last week. 2) HPS Plant. 3) LED Plant. 4) The harvest: HPS on the right, LED on the left 5) All jarred up: After drying and curing, the HPS Yield was 49 grams (would have had more if I didn't have a mold problem), and the LED was 24 grams (almost exactly half).

HPSLED-Final.jpg

HPS-Final.jpg

LED-Final.jpg

HPSLED-Harvest.jpg

HPSLED-Jars.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/HPSLED-Final.jpg.c8e54468523cb301152e84ab198b2009.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/HPS-Final.jpg.7e73a67336a85525f9fea5c570186223.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/LED-Final.jpg.de7dc8bf33458edf964c1fe14999f767.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/HPSLED-Harvest.jpg.46e5321e1940925147466ac673971e86.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/HPSLED-Jars.jpg.0f0d5e45e3ad4f7a398914989f8f877f.jpg

11. AlienBait

And one more... Buds: HPS on the left, LED on the right. Notice how the LED bud is much frostier. At first I thought it was mold, but on closer inspection, it just has more trichs. [​IMG] THAT is an interesting outcome.... Something else that is interesting is that the LED buds have very little smell or taste. The HPS buds taste and smell like weed, but I can't really smell anything from the LED buds. So, there you have it. Hope you enjoyed the show.[​IMG]

HPSLED-buds.jpg

/monthly_2008_01/HPSLED-buds.jpg.676e4317014a3e44ca9c778c9ca8dcb4.jpg

12. Shine Down

Shine Down plays in cabinets........

does the LED grown buds have a more potent high to them, or is it just more covered in trich's

that is interesting about the smell and taste, that might be a GREAT thing for the closet growers out there......

could it be you got half the amount of harvest, but produced a 2x more powerful bud.....?

there was a small blurb in the high times that said one of the grows was 15% more resinous than the control under the same conditions with a 400MH

13. AlienBait

That is a good question. I smoked them both on the same night, so I couldn't tell if the LED weed was more potent. I will have to smoke them on different days to make a good comparison. I'll try that in a couple of days and let you know.

14. AlienBait

O.K., I've got an update for you guys.

With the LED weed, while it has more trichs, the stone is not as strong and does not last as long. It is more of a head high, whereas the HPS weed is more of a full body high. Neither one is couch-lock, but the HPS high is deffinately much better.

With the LED weed, it is like I chopped too early. Unfortunately, I did not look at the trich color before chopping.

This could mean a couple of things: It takes longer to finish when flowering with LEDs or like someone on another site suggested, "the LED was not powerful enough to fully synthesize the THC levels inside the plant thus making it a less potent bud..."

Perhaps I need to add a UV light? I have a few UV LEDs. Guess that would have to be another experiment. Time to get soldering, LOL!

15. allsmilez

allsmilez snow bunny

That's what I was wondering....

Hey, AB....I'll just pop in and say "HI"...I was waiting for the taste test.....lol:) Still, though, for all the trouble with the lights and stuff, IF they'd finished under the LED's, that was alot less energy consumed/gram, wasn't it? Wasn't it 30w vs. 400? But, setting them up sure sounds like a pain in the butt:5headache: Pretty sweet comparison! Thanks, AB! Always interesting! :)

16. StinkyBuds

StinkyBuds TooStonedToPost

Good point grow 8 plants hps ...we all know the expense there . Grow 16 plants LED save a bunch of scratch ...get the same/similar yield?

Nice thread AB.

17. AlienBait

If I didn't finish the last three weeks under the HPS, I would be in a better position to answer that. I think I would have gotten an even smaller harvest if I finished the LED plant under the LEDs. The last four weeks are when the buds fatten up, so having them under the HPS may have skewed the results a bit.

Next time around, I hope to be able to finish under the LEDs, so I'll have a better answer.

dooobster likes this.
  18. dooobster

dooobster A Fat Sticky Bud

F@%^ing awesome

AB, that was a great thread.

Kickass comparison... HPS really outdid the LED by far.

It looked like the LED did pretty well during veg though. I was impressed by the whole thing.

Thanks!! dooob

19. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

you don't need much light at all for veg. you need the light to get the big dense buds during flower.

20. AlienBait

Thank you sir! :)