Just how bad is ozone?

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by greenthumbwhitethumb, Apr 13, 2013.

1. greenthumbwhitethumb

greenthumbwhitethumb down w the moral majority

Ok, I set up my grow room in a back room in my basement, and I bought an ozone generator (in-line) that I hooked up. I basically ran 4" line through my entire basement, and now it tees into the dryer vent to outside. I used a combination of old and newly purchased vent lines, so they're slightly different sizes in some areas. For connections, I taped the shit out of the cracks with that expensive ventilation tape.

Every time I go in the basement, I can smell the ozone. Not bad or super strong, but I know what it smells like.

I've gone over that goddamned piping a hundred times, feeling for spots, retaping, etc. Some days I go down there, and I don't smell it. Other days it's a lot stronger.

:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

I'm at a loss. I don't know where the fuckingjesushell it's coming from. I seriously think sometimes the smell is all in my head, because I'm hyperaware of it now. Sometimes it's definitely there.

So my question is - if there's a small amount of ozone hanging out in my basement, how bad is that, really? I know it's not good for you....

But aside from ripping down all of the line (about 60 feet or so) and redoing the whole fucking thing, I don't know what to do. I don't NEED it too bad right now, nor will I, for quite some time. I'm early veg right now, and I'm only doing it to find females, then I'll clone. So it won't be crazy stinky for a while, but when I come home from work, because my grow room is right under my front door, there's just a hint of smell of plants.... That's why I turned it back on...

Thoughts??

GTWT

:XXhippylove:

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

i don't know how that can be answered

a small tiny bit isn't going to kill you or the plants, but I wouldn't dump it into a living area if you know what i'm saying (sounds like you ran outside / dryer vent)

How to measure the amount is the hard part. I don't know if you can tell how bad a leak is just be "smelling it" because we each smell different and it's not scientific.

Tape most of you can, open some windows and run a fan (air out you house) and wait a day and see how bad the smell really is

3. ducrider

ducrider growing your mamas weed

If you've tee'd the vent line into your dryer vent couldn't the Ozone escape from the dryer? Just how air tight is a dryer anyway? Just a thought....

Just what happens to the line pressure when you're drying clothes? Seems to me that you could have some back pressure issues if both the exhaust fan & the dryer are running at the same time.

Duc

4. greenthumbwhitethumb

Duc, I thought about that for sure. I bought one of the flapper thingys to put in there, but it's not 100% airtight. When I first set it up that way last year and noticed the smell, I popped open the dryer and it was stronger in there. I rarely use my dryer at all (line dryin' hippie here..) and in the winter my exhaust is disconnected to heat/moist. my basement. So I've got it (the dryer T) sealed up in plastic....

Still smells...

GTWT

5. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Add a small fan where it vents to the dryer line? At the least you may be able to see where your leak is coming from with some pressure being pulled through.

6. greenthumbwhitethumb

Like a little booster at the end, before it pops out of the house?

I know for air flow it's better to pull than push (or suck, than blow ;) ) but most folks end up with the fan in the room, pushing air out. I would think perhaps a little fan on the end might provide a better 'path of least resistance' maybe?

GTWT

7. greenthumbwhitethumb

Instead of the T?

8. LionLoves420

Another good idea. :thumbs-up:

9. greenthumbwhitethumb

Not really crazy about popping another hole through the side of my house....

Plus, right now my dryer line isn't hooked up. It hasn't been all winter. The T is sealed off in plastic, and there's still a smell. It's stronger as I get back towards the grow room, usually, so I think it's either not enough air flow, or there's a leak back there....

GTWT

10. LionLoves420

Like I said, If you add a fan at the end of the line on the dryer side, at the least you should be able to find out were your leaks are coming from in the system. Ideally I would go with the duel hole idea, but the fan could create enough pressure to see where you are losing it.