Some mistakes were made...

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by RKinG, Jan 6, 2011.

1. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

Okay GK, like I said, some mistakes were made. I have started this thread and have abandoned my old one (please allow me the rid of stigma from my old thread all mighty GK administrators:flyy: ).

Mainly I want this to serve as a warning to anyone thinking about beginning to growing some MJ and secondly continue to follow my garden. First and foremost, RESEARCH! I can't stress how much time I have spent trying to scramble to fix things after I have already effed them up. This is also costly $$$. Don't think you are going to grow good weed without dropping some serious $ and time. Lot's of time. I will be the first to admit this hasn't gone accordingly at all, but thanks to GK and it's kind inhabitants my stress has been reduced. Let me begin with a list of things I wish I knew before this began...

1. I had no idea I would be dropping the dough that I have on my setup and etc so make sure you have the funds.

2. I will never use Miracle Grow soil to start ever ever again (Occuvationalist) kudos to you for putting up with this medium because I am not going to do it again lol.

3. 5 gallon buckets are unnecessary for my grow, I'm going to three gallon.

4. Know your nutes, these plants are so fickle and while they look great one day you can walk into your grow room and they can look like death the next, prepare for the emotional coaster ride, ESPECIALLY first time growers.

5. Make sure you have a good way to regulate temperature, I have already had to move things around for my setup and divide my veg station and flower in to completley different rooms.

6. Oasis cubes ARE NOT rockwool and can gladly say I will never be using them as a grow medium as they have FUCKED my clones.

7. Feeding and watering are two DIFFERENT things

8. Straying away from sativas and staying with indica's next time due to sativas hating my indoorness.

9. Anyone can grow weed, not all can grow it right

Good Luck to all that embark on this glorious journey....

Thanks to all the ladies and gents that have helped me and I can gladly say the ladies are turning around. I figured out I was grossly misunderwatering (is that a word?) my plants. They looked like they were on their way to the hospice and then I flooded them with about a gallon each the past two days and they have greatly turned around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some real hairs coming through after the first week of flowering, probably would be more if they were not concetrating on surviving the first week)

Here are my new babies that I was lucky enough to snag from my main man.

Rocklock

[​IMG]

Exile

[​IMG]

Transplanted 12/26

Lastly I pose a question about any suggestion on what to do about my clones. I cloned them into Oasis cubes and I think they have taken root because if I pick them up they bring the cube with them but have no roots pushing through the block and I cloned them on the 22nd of December. Is there anything I can do for them?

THANKS GK, LETS DO 2011 RIGHTTTTTT!!!!!!!

:passsit:

2. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

yes...you can practice patience for them.

:roll:

n dont touch them until roots come out the bottom. the less they are disturbed and introduced to foreign matter the more likely they are to be successfull.

nice lookin ladies, n glad to see we agree on the lack of miracles in MG (miraculous Garbage) products :pimp:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

3. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

Hey RKing

im gonna suggest adding to the list of what a newbie should do is READ THE FAQs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and also LISTEN TO THE GREAT ADVICE HERE ON GK.....

good thread man but as a fellowfirst timer who has nickle and dimed my way along and spent way more than initial thoughts... but i am so hooked on this awesome hobby... and dont be afraid of sativas as i have 2 running now and they are thriving in my closet... PEx is gonna be a good producer

4. Bigbud214

Bigbud214 Ganja Guru Extreme

oh by the way man ive used Fox Farms Ocean Forest mixed 50/50 with pro mix then add about 30% more perlites and man its workd very well for me... i actually ran full FFOF with added perlite for final potting... its a bit too hot for seedlings and clones... and the added perlite helps aerate the mix... there are many good ready to go soils and plenty of fabulous homemade mixes here on GK...

5. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

I remember the previous thread, it didn't look bad to me. Too hard on yourself man and yeah....it can run into some $$$. Think of what a few oz's run and it all comes into perspective though.

6. The Occultivationist

The Occultivationist Veggy Stage

yeah u said it RKing, you dont use MG, you put up with it. :roffl:

i cant complain tho, MG has been good to me. maybe not the greatest to my plants, but has gotten me paid on more than one occasion. but since i seem to be the only dip-shit who actually likes the stuff, maybe if i switch to FFOF or similiar ill see what ive been missing out on. cause from the way everyone else talks up MG, i cant grow in any worse! :laugh1: :roll:

ladies look good! keep it up!!:thumbs-up:

7. Lvstickybud

Lvstickybud Bongmaster

I was using MG and my plants have come out pretty sweet. You have to really pay attention tho and work around it's dificities. I just switched tho to Happy Frog (produced by Fox Farms) for my Lemonberry and we"ll see how happy I am with that. I also am trying a few DWC buckets to compare (different strains tho). So what I'm saying is, MG aint all that bad if you've grown other stuff with it, you should be fine. Some problems are just difficult to figure if it was you or the soil.

8. daytrypper

daytrypper A Fat Sticky Bud

your not the only dip-shit who likes it. I'm right there with ya.

9. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

Bless your heart! As one who has made a host of OTHER mistakes than yours, Im proud to say Ive learned from every one of them and have not made the same one twice. However, it turns out that there are plenty of BRAND NEW mistakes yet to be made! I say, EMBRACE EM, learn from them and let them go.

I hate to see you give up on Sativas---please give them one more chance, using your NEW knowledge. They grow fine, great, in fact---for me and many others . Far as going to the 3 gal containers, right-o! In fact, 8if you want to give the Sats another try, I do fine in ONE gal and have not used anything bigger in 10 successful grows of ALL Sats. I dont have MG problems or any other kind of soil issues---because I go HEMPY.

Dont give up on the great Sats, Brother!

Ive had to put a heater in the garage and between that and the HPS, plus central heat, Ive just had my first 250.00 light bill, so yes....growing weed IS costly. On the other hand, NOT as costly as buying high end weed by the oz! Plus, one we're past the initial outlay for lights, heaters, etc....it gets better.

Just for the pure hell of it, stick a Sativa in a one gal. container full of perlite....you maay become a devotee of both the Hempy style AND Sativas.

Hug

Dix

10. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

I've always used Miracle Grow in my grows. I only grow in soil and I only use MG. You just have to know how to use it and what kind to buy. Stay away from the "6 Months Worth of Nutrients" type unless you're growing outside or growing a sativa that has an extended vegitation and floweriing cycle because 6 months worth of nutes would release too slowly and would probably have so many nutrients that soil pH would be a constant problem indoors. Moisture Control with 3 months worth of nutrients is good.

You also MUST sterilize the soil by baking it, one baking pan at a time, for 20 to 30 minutes each on appx. 350 to 400 degrees (preheated). As the soil cools appx. a 1/2 cup of Diatamateous earth should be mixed into the soil. This should get rid of any critters already alive in the soil and guard against infestation by any new critters. You can also mix in a little pearlite but it's not necessary because it's MG.

MG nutrients are trial and error for potency and effect on the soil pH. Nutrient regimens for MG nutes should be very precisely measured.

If you can deal with all that then MG is great. I can't find Black Gold, a pre-sterilized potting soil that some people say is great.

Ask HeadCase about MG. He's the man!

Edit: Also MG soil has a series of small holes in the plastic bag that it is packaged and purchased in to allow the soil to breathe. If you plan on storing the bag of soil in your grow area or home you MUST find and tape these holes or your home and possibly your grow could see an infection of fruit flies and mites and little white jumpy flea-like insects that I identified as Fungus Gnats. Tape the bag or keep it away from your grow and the inside of your home.

11. blackprince11

blackprince11 Prince of the Hindu Kush

She's right!

She's right man. Don't give up. It's an investment so once the money is spent you woun't be shelling out money to build what you need to grow what you want forever and the money you save in the future because of the investment you sacrificed for today will pay off in quality and quantity tomorrow! I heard someone say once that "Keep coming back because it works if you work it!" Was that a fucking AA meeting or somthing that I'm remembering?:passsit:Boy, I am high as hell right now!

12. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

Thanks for the love all. MG is just such a bitch sometimes and especially hard on me being a first time grow. "Did I do something wrong, is it the soil, is it me, is it the soil?" LOL. The constant battle in my head. The girls are coming along nicely and I gave them a light feed today and hopefully we can jump start these things into bloomin. Still need to pick up some CaMag+ though, I think they could really benefit from some, but we shall see how they are doing. Meanwhile my clones are just so sad looking and I blame it on those effing cubes. How could I be so dumb to think they were rockwool. Ugh. Let me know what you all think about em and if there is anything I can do. I see no roots as of yet and they were cloned on the 22nd. Thanks GK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior In The Spirit Realm

Once you've got them established 2-3 weeks, it's pretty smooth sailing IME, unless something goes terribly wrong. I don't like starting any plants in MG soil unless they have a well established root system. No seedlings, and I don't do cuttings, but seedlings can be pretty sensitive to the nutes in soil since they start from seed with enough nutrients to get going I feel that the MG soil is a bit too much for such a young plant. On the other hand, plenty of people have done just fine with it. I'm not one of them.

14. The Occultivationist

The Occultivationist Veggy Stage

the holes in the top of those cubes look a bit large. maybe you have light leaking down to where u want your roots to start and delaying or stopping the process. maybe try covering them with something or use a pinch of our favorite soil :roffl: to block the light out.

15. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Rk- TO's on it. They'll root more consistently if they are in contact with the medium for rockwool or soil. Just pinch the hole closed against the stem.

cheers,

16. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

I love oasis cubes. I think they're probably my favorite. they transplant equally well into soil or hydro; rockwool goes much more smoothly into hydro than soil. It seems to hold water and air even better than rockwool (I notice I have to splash them less often while cuts are rooting), and you don't have to dick around with presoaking.

The Sativa/Indica thing has a lot to do with training and experience. playing around with different training methods will give you the tools you need to effectively grow Sats indoors. I'm an Indica fan personally, just because I prefer the smoke, but to each his own.

Oh, and IMO FFOF is only slightly better than MG. I'm sure someone's gonna flame the hell outta me for saying that, but it can be hot, people have found a bunch of cardboard in it, and I've gotten bugs in both types. FFOF often burns small plants just the same as MG too. all the same problems at double the cost. FF products are kind of a big marketing ploy... better quality products are available all the way down their line at a fraction of the cost.

Hempy is ok if it works for you, but if you're looking for a good cheap soil I'd suggest Sunshine Blend #4. super cheap, good drainage and water retention, and best of all, it's dead. No nutrients. Carried in many hydro stores, not in Walmart. Another cheap option I have experience with is the Black Gold stuff that was mentioned previously. If they have the stuff without time release ferts in it, it's as good as anything else I've found in a walmart.

Good luck!

17. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

Just an update all....

Occuvationalist- Check it out, so in a last ditch effort I packed half of the clones with some of that great great soil :roffl:

Dix- I'm not totally through with Sats, just a lil turned off by their needieness lol

BlackPrince- I keep telling myself just this very same thing, but hard everytime I open the ol wallet

Shadow- Hatin on MG all the same at the moment

Resin- I pinched the other half of the clones together, to see if that will work as a last ditch effort as well

Stynk- I think Ima give the rockwool a shot the second time around due to my epic failure this go around. I have commited myself to MG another go around because before I decided I was hating on it, my dumb ass transplanted two more plants into it and I have to use the same medium from everything I have read when I transplant again. woe is me lol.

Thanks Guys and to those I didn't shout out to as well. THANK YOU!

Glad to report my ladies are turning around, so awesome seeing all the hairs develop and they grew two inches over night last night!

Heres just a quick snap of them standing loud n proud.

[​IMG]

Also BigBud I took a page outta your book and gave this a shot after seeing your lovely ladies... Hope this looks right... Just folded some painter tape over itself so no adhesive is exposed to the plant.

[​IMG]

If this looks fucked let me know please

:anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong: :anibong:

18. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Try securing at a point closer to the medium, pulling the other way. You'll be able to get the top tie to make more of a 90 degree bend.

19. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Yeah. Anchor the stem by tying some string round the base and attach it to the side of the pot to pull it staight up. It stops the plant getting pulled over and makes it easier to bend the plant.

20. RKinG

RKinG Full Flowering

Ok ima do that today. Thanks guys.