Littile Help

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Rasta Mon, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Rasta Mon

Rasta Mon Germinating

Greetings All

Been trying to start some seedlings but everyone time i do get them started they turn out to be males .. have tried many different methods of starting seedlings but all with the same result (male plants) Is there something you can do to make females from seeds or do the seeds need to be "female" seeds? Any help or suggestions would be GREAT !!

NUFF SAID
    :roulette:

2. mickfoster

mickfoster New Sprout

What method are you using? Please explain the process. Female/Male ratio should be at least 50%. How many have you tried so far?

3. SecretGrower420

SecretGrower420 Baked as fuck

How many seeds have you tried growing? Are you sexing your plants properly? There are no seeds that are all males. Regular seeds give you a 50-50 chance on each seed. You could buy feminized seeds, and you are almost guaranteed a female plant. Just keep on trying and you'll get it.

4. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Im going to assume your using bagseeds? I had a grow that was all male, 7 out of 7. All from the same bag. I had 2 seeds from a different bag growing at the same time. One was female one was male. Not sure why all of the seeds in that one bag were male but they were. It happens. Peace

5. WillGrow4Food

WillGrow4Food Toker Extraordinaire

Welcome Rasta Mon!

Seeds are a certain sex, there's nothing you are doing wrong that is turning them male.

:passit:

That's really rare that they all came out male, are you sure they aren't just hermies? If your using bagseed there is more chance that it could be just a bunch of male seeds, ya never know with that stuff.

Good luck though, I'd say just keep going till you get a female, or check if some are hermies. Or you could always order feminized seeds.

:potleaf:

6. choker

choker HIDING OUT

What are ya planting 1 seed at a time?

The bag seed hermie was good.

7. ScottyG420

ScottyG420 Marijuana Handler

bag seeds

FWIW, my last grow was from bagseeds. I planted 3 and 2 of them turned out

To be beautgiful females. They pproduced some really tasty nuggs. I suppose its just luck of the draw.

Good luck my brother. It must be frustrating as all hell.

8. slantedsidewaze

slantedsidewaze Full Flowering

seed sex

From what I understand the sex is already bred into the seeds before you plant them. So as far as trying to make a seed female, it can't be done. Your only hope is that your seed already has the female gene. However, like another post said, you can buy feminized seeds which leaves you with no worries. Also, it is usually a 50/50 ratio on sex. However, you can get unlucky and only get 1 or 2 fem seeds out of 10; on the flip side you can get 8-9 fem seeds out of 10 regular seeds! Good Luck!!:bong2:

9. Rasta Mon

Rasta Mon Germinating

thanks

well doing about 10 or so at a time , tryed the paper towel method and also the jar method all with the same results .. also i have tryed seeds from some regs and high grade.. i will keep trying about how long into the grow can you sex a plant maybe i am doing it too soon .. i will take some pics next and post them ...

Thank you all for your help ..:passit:

10. OneHitterInOz

OneHitterInOz A Fat Sticky Bud

Yea man, def try again, veg em for about 1-2 months (or veg a couple weeks then throw em into 12/12) and then post up some pics we'll let ya know. With 10 or so at a time you have got to be gettin at least a couple females out of that. Germ methods have no deciding factor on sex, use your best method for germing as long as the shells pop.

Good Luck

11. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Generally about 30 days into veg. I wouldnt throw out a plant until you start seeing clusters of balls. Until then your safe. Males generally show sex first. After you get one female you never have trouble sexing again. Good luck

12. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Veg for a month and throw them under 12/12. Give them 2 or 3 weeks 12/12 and at 3 weeks you cant mistaken the sex.

13. skunkrnaught

skunkrnaught Flying magic hemp carpet

Have you had I plant get to the flower stage or are you sexing the during veg? About 2 months into veg (18/6 light cycle) it will show preflowers(if female). About 1 week into flower (12/12 light cycle) a male will show it sex and about 2 weeks into flower a female will show its sex. NOTE: this can very from strain to strain I have a bag seed plant flowering right now that took 3 weeks to show her sex. Study up on the proper ways to sex your plants, there are lot of good posts here with pics. Otherwise you could be killing your girls:roulette:

Good luck

Skunkr

14. Dixie Hicky

Dixie Hicky Excommunicated

That just aint normal. In my (limited) experience, I seem to get about one out of five turn out male, which makes sence from Nature's point of view. I mean...in a natural setting, one male can easily pollinate four or five females close to him and Nature wants LOTS of seeds...so naturally produces more females than males.

Is your grow room very HOT? I understand excessive heat can turn seedlings male.

Dixie

15. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

Excessive heat can make the plant hermi, but it wont make a female seedling male. If it sprouted as a female theres nothing you can do to make it a male with the exception of stressing the plant to produce male sexual parts and pollinate itself, hence the term hermaphrodite. Peace

16. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

If its a true female (i e is not genetically prone to turning hermie) then there is no stress in the world that can cause a true female plant to hermie.

True females are what are needed to produce fem. seeds. Only a chemical that is used to block certain pathways in the plant will cause it to produce male flowers. Stresses will not do it.

17. zion07

zion07 Flowering again

There are a couple of methods you can use to give you a better chance of getting Females from seed:

1) Fill a shot glass with Ph balanced H20 and dissolve 1 Birth Control Pill into the water. Then add your seed to the glass and let it sit for 24 hours. Then just germinate as normal...

20 Place Banana peels and your seeds into a ziplock bag and let them sit for 5-7 days, changing the peels about every 3 days. There is a chemical that the decaying banana peels give off that increases your Female to Male ratio

These methods are by no means 100% effective. They give you about 25% more of a chance of getting Females, but hell anything is better than all Males right?

I have used the birth control pill thing several times and all but 1 time I got Fem's so give it a shot. As for the Banana peel thing.... I've never tried it but have read about it in several grow books.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,

Zion :passit:

18. EvilSkuzzi

EvilSkuzzi Sweet Guy

Your not serious are you?

The birth control myth has been about for 20 years. Whats estrogen got to do with plant sex?

Banana release Ethane or something as they rippen, yes that will make any other fruit never them rippen faster and go off faster but it will not do shit to a seed!

Please say you were kidding :passit:

19. virago420

virago420 Excommunicated

:rofl: Sorry couldnt help but chuckle when I read that also