Hermaphrodite question + seed question

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by WiZaRD, Feb 23, 2009.

1. WiZaRD

WiZaRD Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

My friend and I got a bag to tide us over, it had one seed in 30g. We sprouted it, grew it in a tested and successful method. It has now started to show it's sex, and it appears to be a hermaphrodite.

Was that a response by the original female to try and find a way to keep the species alive?

Secondly, if it were to grow, and pollinate itself, it would have seeds right? Will ALL those seeds likely be mutated in some way?

If not, do you plant all the seeds, pick out the normal looking ones, then go from there, maybe taking best male and female and crossing them?

OR, could you use some pollen from the hermie to pollinate another female of a different strain[all that's available, only had one seed] and get better results..

The bud we bought was amazing, we want to try and keep these genetics if possible. Thanks - A

2. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Hermie's are alway's going to be Hermie's. Seed's, Pollen.

If it were me, they'd already be gone!

3. Confused420

Confused420 Full Flowering

that what i say too and that is don't even trust feminized seeds cause every feminized seed had one parent that was a hermie

4. WiZaRD

So the seeds of the hermie will be useless as well? Well, I guess we're going to go kill it then. Thanks, I've never considered keeping a hermie, the bud was just so sacralicious.

5. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

There's alot of nice strain's out there.

6. bclivin

bclivin Veggy Stage

It is worth while growing especially if there was only one seed telling me it had a little stress late flowering that caused it to hermie not big deal good genetics. But a little amount of stress would likely cause hermie traits to develope. I am currently growing 11 beans same as yours at differant stages, I already have two showing female sex at 24 days. no money spent with marijuana involved equals time well spent its a hobby not a sport:smokin:

7. WiZaRD

Cool. I have plenty of plants of my own going. This hermie is in one of those 'grow pods' you see in hightimes (it's not mine) by itself, so it won't affect any of my plants.

I'm going to wait for more feedback though.

8. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

What makes you say it's a hermie ? If it's just started to show sex how is it that it is displaying hermied characteristics so early? A pic would be helpful. Also, just cause there was 1 seed in the bag does not necessarily make it a hermied seed. There is the possibility it's just a regular old pollinated seed. Maybe the grower had a male he didn't get rid of in time. Maybe when he was getting rid of some males he got some pollen on his shirt and brushed up against one of the females. Maybe it is a hermied seed. Can't really say for sure.

I think first off we need to determine if the actual plant you have now is really hermie-ing on you or if you're in a rush to judgement. If it has just started to show sex like you say it's probably too early to say it's a hermie. I have a feeling you may just have a male plant. Any chance of getting a pic posted??

9. WiZaRD

It's not at my house, I will probably go there sometime in the next few days. Then I'll take a picture.

Has seed sacs showing and pistils.

10. Jake

Jake A Fat Sticky Bud

I believe it's just a male plant.