In the need of advice - Lights/Grow

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by voidofidea, May 31, 2009.

1. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

Hello. I'm glad to be part of this forum.

Okay guys, I really need your advice here. Now I've got three plants in growth (a very exciting time), and I'll be ordering a new light today.

Obviously, I'm trying to spend as much money as I have to for what I need. After coming across http://www.rollitup.org/general-marijuana-growing/723-things-know-about-lighting.html, I've decided that 400 watts will be optimal for my 3 potentially 4 plants.

I came across one system for 239 dollars that allows for both MH and HPS lights to be fixed inside it. This is the one.http://www.hydroempire.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/3_20_62/products_id/719

Here's the question. Out of the research I've done I've read countless times that HPS and MH emit different spectra of light, red/orange the former and blue the latter. Veg likes blue light, flower likes red light.

The choices I have are to buy a 400 watt HPS light, and when I say light, I mean everything, the bulb, fixture, etc. for around 100 dollars on eBay, or a 400 watt mh/hps light system for 239. Not only that but it seems like its on sale, 239 instead of 270. After reading that an HPS light emits more lumens per watt, as well as the fact that it could be used from birth to end, I decided that im going to invest in an HPS light as opposed to MH, that is if I decide not to get that dual system.

So the question is, is it worth it to invest the extra money to give my plants the light spectra that they need? I wanted to get some input from people who have already had experience in this area. I personally think investing in the 239 mh/hps system would be better for the plants, and ultimately I want to grow dank ass headies that stink and look colorful.

Because when I think about it, 400 watts of MH blue light would be awesome for only 3 or 4 plants. I feel like they would be thrive and flourish under that much light of the the spectrum they require. 400 watts of MH light, 400 watts of HPS light, or would it make no difference at all?

I could also use any pointers or tips on my goal and how I'm going about acheiving it. The closet space is 6 sq feet, 2 and a half feet by 2 and a half feet. I used feminized seeds that I ordered from an Amsterdam seed back exactly a year ago. I don't remember the strain but I'm sure it was something colorful and strong.Three fortunately popped out and are currently beginning their life. Another is still in germination, and I'm probably going to check on it now, so I'm looking at 3 potentially 4 plants in this relatively small space. The point of this is to save on the huge amounts of money I spend on bud. If I can grow peppers or tomatos in my yard, I should be able to grow this as they are all natural. I'm thinking of letting the plants grow tall, maybe 4 ft before sexing.

2. skunky

skunky labor smoke'n lumberjack

Or you could be a 400W digital, HTG supply sells them pretty cheap on ebay. That will be a better type of ballast and be able to use both type of bulbs.

400W MH ~20,000 lumens

400W HPS ~50,000 lumens

The lumens really isn't all that important because the different energy levels of the light spectrums each bulb produces really makes them more equivalent. However the plants hormones are light sensitive and that's really the only reason why to use the two, blue light simulates hormones associated more to the veg cycle while red/orange light simulates the hormones for flowering.

Here's a link to their 400W grow lights,

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/High-Tech-Garden-Supply_400-watt-Grow-Lights_W0QQ_fsubZ2QQ_sidZ141632882QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

It isn't necessary to have the MH though unless you just want it to veg with at the beginning. Do you plan on using fluros or another HID light for moms/clones and the veg room?

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Short and sweet...

Get the $100 400 watt hps if it is of decent manufacture and use the remaning $140 to pick up some Floros, either 3-4 cfl's of at least 60 ACTUAL watts each or t-5 shop lights (cheap at Homie Depot). That should leave you around $75-$100 for soil/nutes and miscellaneous shit.

Use the floro for veg and the HPS for flowering. Having both sets of lighting allows flexibilty in timing multiple grows and maintaining moms if you start cloning.

good luck,:thumbsup:

4. skunky

Word!! Though it may be hard for you to find good CFL's or T-5's are home depot, I know ours here sucks and I can't get anything really worth a shit. Might check out www.100bulbs.com they have cheap CFLs.

The digital ballast like I posted above is just a little more efficient compared to a magnetic ballast and it can use both bulb types. One of those "if you got the money get it" type things but if you don't you can still use the other.

5. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

So using the different lights for the different stages of growth, because of the hormone stimulation, will lead to faster growth? Better bud?

Check out the attachment. That one has been growing for 10 days, does it look normal so far?

I was actually planning on taping the floroscent lights that I have now to the sides of the walls once I receive my new light, I'm pretty sure I'm going to purchase one of this HTG lights off of eBay, they look legit.

Yet another question, about mothers and cloning. I don't know too much about it but I'm guessing what people do is raise big female plants, then use its stalks as clones for a continous supply of bud?

6. skunky

They don't have to be big. Just have to have growth shoots. Any branch can be cloned, just need the growth shoots to grow.

About the hormones, yes basically. That's why people try to stick with CFL bulbs with a 5K+ color temp, they are blue.

The pic is kinda blury, all I can see is what appear to cotyledons(the two round leaves). Doesn't looked stretched or anything. You are sure that's your MJ and something else that was in the soil right? Only reason I ask is the pic is really blury and I can't see any second set of leaves starting at all(the serrated leaves).

7. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

That's exactly my concern as well. The 1st time I tried growing the serrated leaves started to form very quickly, within the first 2 weeks. I tried to take another picture with the same camera phone a little closer but it seems to be just as blurry. My partner has a digitial camera but is skeptical about putting pictures of we're doing on the internet/

Another thing you should know is that soil I use comes from my garden in the backyard. I plant vegetables during the summer and they grow well. I also used the same soil the last time I tried growing and they grew very quickly, however since it is outdoor soil other things started to grow around the MJ plant. I plucked them out before they could pose anyproblem but what if I plucked out the MJ plant by mistake?? The MJ plant is also growing out of the center where I planted the seed.

8. skunky

How much lighting are you giving them? I've never had a plant remain a seedling for so long. Should look something more like this at least for almost 2 weeks old.

[​IMG]

9. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

Right on man, listen thanks for your help...I have a feeling with the help of the kind growers I'll be growing some good bud.

But yeah, I'll give it a few more days, this is day 10 of that plant. I'm sure in 4 days the two serrated leaves will start to form. I also have a feeling that the light I'm giving it right now isn't good enough, which is precisely why I'm ordering that 400watt hps/mh system for roughly 250.

10. skunky

Well what type of lighting are you using and how far is it from the plant, we could still help ya use it the best you can if you aren't already.

I'm kinda curious to see what happens because I've never seen an MJ sprout not have the 2 other leaves coming in immediately after the cotyledons. The two serrated leaves should be there starting to come in when the seed hull is shed. Like take a look at this picture.

[​IMG]

Hopefully its MJ.

As for the soil, you may want to try and buy some soil though. Just that you can bring all kinds of nasty crap along with the outdoor stuff when you bring it in. Really its suggested if you do something like that to bake the soil to sterilize it.

11. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

I have to admit skunky I'm a little bummed out. It's just that I'm doing everything the same way, and using the same lights during the 1st time i grew. And that time I used the same three floroscent lights, which I don't know the details of anymore to veg four plants that grew 3 ft. They were lanky but they still grew in the same soil with the same lights. At the very center of the two round leaves I see something, it might be the serrated leaves your talking about.

The seeds are in cups rested on a box so its elevated halfway the height of the closet. I have the three floroscent lights hanging just a few cms above the cups. Sounds right doesn't it? And i've been watering them

12. skunky

Well one thing is for sure you can get those fluro lights right on the plants, 2" away is fine for most flouros. I'm sure if you've got them close you are fine, just some people try to hang them a foot or so over the plant.

If it turns out to be something else, you got any more seeds? Might germinate some if you do and get some soil from the nursery.

13. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

We're out of seeds.

I'm gonna give it another few days, and if this thing stays the way it is, and the other two germinated seeds fail to sprout, my partner and I have decided to order new seeds, germinate them, order the new lights, then start again with the proper lighting.

I'll stay posting though.

14. skunky

I'm pretty sure he is looking at a digital with both bulb types. Though upgrading to the 600W wouldn't be much more and give double the output.

15. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

I dunno. 13 days and this all the growth? Doesn't make sense. I'm guessing either the seeds were too old, too messedup, or nature didn't mean for it to happen yet.

16. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

The first seed I planted 15 days ago is now showing a little serrated leaf. What's really strange is only one is visible, there isn't another growing the other way. WHen you mentioned that it might not be MJ, I stopped watering it frequently because I was disappointed and didn't think it would grow. I poured water into the cup this morning and the leaf grew a little bigger. The other two seeds that showed a root in germination have not sprouted yet and it's been five days. Perhaps I'm not watering them enough? I ordered from seed boutique but they will take forever.

17. skunky

I don't think it has anything to do with that although it could. I would say it's probably just not MJ. Just wait on the seeds to arrive seedboutique is normally pretty quick. Get you some soil from the store and germinate them using the paper towel method and make sure the tap root is coming out before planting them.

That sucks though, it's probably just something that was already just hanging out in the soil from the backyard.

18. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

I dunno if this picture helps but take a look anyway. I'm going to take some that aren't blurry with an actual camera a little later. I remember what the leaves looked like the first time I grew. It just doesn't make sense. Same soil, same lights. They said my order was put on hold for some reason i placed it yesterday

Do u think theres hope for the two other ones to sprout or at this point they've died or something?

19. skunky

There are only two main seedling types monocots and dicots. Either has one cotyledon or two. Mj is one of thousands of different plants that do that.

20. voidofidea

voidofidea Germinated

Damn I didn't know that. I thought the cotedlydan things were unique to MJ. Regardless, it can't hurt to let them just sit there until everything new arrives.