Help Please!

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by MaryJane1953, Mar 3, 2011.

1. MaryJane1953

MaryJane1953 Germinating

I have 3 MJ (planted in soil) in the 12/12 room for 2 weeks 3 days, using a 1000 watt HPS (high pressure sodium) about 20 inches from the plants. One of the plants hair feelers on the bud is starting to turn brown. In all my reading on line when the hair feelers turn brown it's time to take the bud, but these buds are far from being ready to pick. What is causing the browning of the hair feelers? Does this mean the plant is finished without producing mature buds? Thanks for any input!

plant1 (3).jpg

/monthly_2011_03/57a6cc45af4f3_plant1(3).jpg.962781e90a023ca4c8a8f1f8fe049d4e.jpg

2. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

Do you mean 'pistils'?

Anyway, changing color is the start of maturity. Read-up on checking trichs with a loop.

What tells you that the buds are far from ready to pick?

For some reason, I can't open your attachment.

3. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I can't enlarge that picture. But if it's that early into flowering, it could be a coupe reasons why a pistil would die off early. It could be, that it got pollinated, it got too hot, it got too much dray air blowing on it (wind burn) or maybe you touched it with your fingers. All of those things can cause a pistil to turn orange. As long as it's not heat or wind burn, then it most likely will continue to flower and you'll see new fresh white pistils pop out soon enough. I had a bud get a little too close to the light on my last grow at week 4 or 5 and it recovered fully. Initially it was all orange and looked prematurely ripened but it came back and had all nice new pistils and put on more size and looked normal in the following weeks.

4. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

Browning pistils at 3 weeks flower? If you haven't used any type of foliar feed or treatment in the last week I'd start looking for a hermie or male.

5. MaryJane1953

MaryJane1953 Germinating

Yes pistils is what I meant and I am a newbie here and this is my first time posting or attaching anything. Reason I feel they are not ready to be picked is that they have just come into bud last week and look very immature. Thanks for the input and I'll check it out

6. MaryJane1953

MaryJane1953 Germinating

I have been fighting spider mites and have been spraying the plants with Aza Max, would that cause it and what can I do?

7. MaryJane1953

MaryJane1953 Germinating

Thanks, going to turn fan so it blows over the plants and raise the light a bit and take it from there. Thanks all

8. hydromorphone

hydromorphone Excommunicated

Plants are not ready for at least 55 days of flower ( fast indicas ) minimum definetly get at least a 30x pocket microscope ( loop ). Also 20 inches is too close unless it's air-cooled and on a light rail.

9. ResinRubber

Bingo! Read up on pest control and spider mites in the FAQ. When you spray be sure to treat the underside of the canopy also. You're getting pretty far along to spray any more than one more time though.

10. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I use AzaMax and haven't had it turn my pistils brown even mixed at full strength 2 oz per gallon. I never spray my plants past week 4 or 5 at the latest though. I avoid spraying the buds with anything once they really start to form up and get denser.

11. hydromorphone

hydromorphone Excommunicated

Spider mites are almost always o the bottom of leaves. Except when there is a major infestation when they form webs. Good luck getting rid of them completely it's one of the most difficult things to do. It's not too hard to knock them down to a couple here and there but eliminating them is damn tough.

12. ResinRubber

Never used AzaMax, but any foliar pest treatment that hits pistils in my garden has resulted in a change in either texture, development or color. Often times all three.

13. Midnight Garden

Midnight Garden Excommunicated

14. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

For sure. I just sprayed my plants yesterday with AzaMax just to be sure I have knocked them down. They just started week 4 so this will be the last time I spray them. Also my week 5 plants got a foliar feed of Purple Maxx and I haven't had any pistils change color on me. If I pinch a bud or brush against it to roughly they do get orange pistils though.

15. MaryJane1953

MaryJane1953 Germinating

How far should the light be from the top of the plants...I raised it, it is now roughly 25 inches from the tallest bud of the three plants

16. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

For my moms I am trying predatory mites that specialize in eating spider mites. The hydro store guy said they are pretty darn effective, and when the spider mites are gone they'll eat each other and die off.

17. MrAstro

MrAstro R.I.P

I missed '3 wks.'. I'm HIGH :lmao:

I just thought this was a finishing plant.

Pay Attention

ducrider likes this.