forcing my plants to flower

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by pokerhead28, Aug 19, 2006.

1. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

I've been gorwoing these plants for about 2 months. I have 3 nice and healthy plants, and there starting to get alittle big for my backyard. I want to force them to flower but I dont know how. I've read that you could put a garbage bag around them and make them thik there getting 12/12, but could I use a outdoor trash can? I heard it was better cause it gaurentees that no light will get in. Other than the 3 which are healty size, I have a dozen babies gorwing, which I was gonna keep growing until they got about the same size. Here's my question, wont the plants strech once they enter 12/12 and is it ok to trim them while in flowering? Once they are into their 12/12 cycle for a little while(im guessing about 2 to 3 weeks) will they be ok wiht the trash can off them, or will the revert back to veg because of the light they get. This is my first grow, and it's from bag seed. Thanks for the help. P.S. where can I find some tiger bloom at?

2. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

The bag idea will work. They are going to stretch, could double in size. I wouldn't suggest trimming them unless they go over the fence or something, and I would do it before, or right after changing the light cycle.

When you cover them try to keep a constant time that you cover and un cover, and try to plan it so it will line up with the light cycle outside at the time you plan on removing the bags and letting nature take over. They should go back to veg if you that.

Another thing is the plants should be getting geared up to flower any day now. If they are not already(maybe why they are getting so big). It mostly depends on the strain, but this is the time. Some of the ones I have already have nice sized nugs running together.

3. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

There not extremely tall yet, and there deffintly ready to flower, because the have alternating internodes. They look healthy but im getting worried becasue I don't want anyone smelling them when they flower. I especially dont want to get caught beacause I heard that if u do get caught, they sentence u based on how many plants you had, and I have about 20, 3 about 3'feet tall, including pots and 17 small ones. I've kept my mouth shut about them, so I know I should be fine, but still...

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Sticky Skunky Buds

lol keep a bottle of febreeze near by make it smell good, just keep your mouth shut, cut your lawn so the city inspector get off your nuts, i would suggest getting some srubs or trees from a gardening center and hide the plant in the middle of the circle or rectangle of trees or srubs, or buy some lumber and make a mini fence so the light will still get in but noone can see the plants, keep a no trespassing sign near by, or just get a guard dog,i like the guard dog, my sign is not responsible for injury or death.

5. high yields

high yields Veggy Stage

You could find a skunk and toss it down the road when it starts to smell. as for the number of plants. If they are seed you are going to have some males in there to thin it out. Study the laws in your area, If you are over a number by a plant or two it would probably be worth it to trash em. You got the most important thing taken care of. The keeping your mouth shut. Loose lips sink ships.

6. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

Do you know of a website where I could checkup on the laws of my area? I tried google, but I got no results even close to my topic. I was thinking about cutting down a few of the small ones. Im still a newb, but I can't imagine febreeze doing any good, although you were prolly being sarcastic. Anyways thanks for your help.

7. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

well...........

the problem that i see is that you will have to go out there and place and reomve the bag from now on. it's easy enough to force the plant to flower for the purpose of sexing, but much more difficult if you want to keep it flowering after that point. you won't be able to simply go back to the natural day/night schedul. If you force it to flower and then start to leave the lid off, if it's not ready to flower it will revert to veg.

on top of that i'm not sure how it's gonna handle the light schedule change if you are not able to stick to putting the bag on and taking the bag off every day. hard for a stoner to keep up with anything, not ot mention being at the same place at the exact same time twice a day for 2 months

did you plan on doing the bag trick until harvest? if so, you realize that the plant needs to breathe. even at night.

just food for thought. :)

8. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

I read somewhere that if you force a plant to flower with the trash bag, after about th first 2-3 weeks it should be fine on it's own(although I prolly just read it wrong.) I didnt realize that the plant needed that much air, I thought it would still get enough air throught the bottom of the bag, since it's not gonna be air tight. Alright well you might be able to help with my parinoya(I suck at spelling,) os how to I fugure out the sexes without putting to much stress on them by reverting them back to veg. That way I can remove the males and have alittle more peace of mind. Can I do that on the little one's too, or just the big three? BTW, were you a overgrow member? Trichome farmer is one of the subtitles(I guess thats what there called) I saw there.

9. wawona

wawona The Trichome Connoisseur

Nope, was not an OG member. thankfully. :)

outside plants flower when nature tells them too. if it's flowering time after you take the bag off for good then they will flower. if not they will revert.

forcing flower is a good idea to tell sex, like you said. it won't put too much stress on them as to damage them permanently. I'd sex them and then remove the cover and let them do their thing.

If the bag is open enough at the bottom to let air in, it's possible that too much light coming in could prevent it from flowering.

i am truly no outdoor expert, but i have been around a while and read a lot. maybe we'll get one of our outdoor bretheran to come through.........

10. LongTimeToker

LongTimeToker Veggy Stage

Hey Man

I have grown a few outside for years so maybe I can help. The bag trick does work but as he said you have to remember it everyday and do it at the same time everyday. That will be a task few can do even with a good memory because life happens. It is flowering time of year so they will be in flower soon anyways so you may be able to get them into flower a little early and they should not revert back this late in the season. In fact they are prob starting to change modes now. Start giving flower nutes now something like 10-50-10 with micro nutes and you should start seeing hairs or balls soon. Hope that helped.

Toker

11. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Well as other member's stated I would worry about remembering to remove the bag not to mention them reverting. I grow outdoors and if it was me....I do not think I would take a chance on losing my girlies. If they are ready to flower....I would just be patient and wait it out but hey that is just my opinion. Maybe you could try it with just one?? If so....let us know the results as I am curious. :)

Peace~Jersey

12. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

I think I'll take jersey girl's solution, and flower a few. I just topped the small ones and one of the big ones. I'll prolly put a bag over one of the big ones(one of the two I didn't top,) and wait alittle and put smoe bags on the samll ones. btw, I know it's better to flower with nutes, but would the bud still be descent without it? I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should use tigerbloom/fox farms, because I'm strapped on cash at the current moment. We'll regardless I'll post later

13. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Cool...let me know how the lady does with the bag. Glad you decided to just do one or 2 rather then the entire crop. ;)

As far as nutes....well the way I look at it is you are making out in the end since you will not have to buy weed right? I can understand being strapped for cash....maybe you could borrow frm a frd? I guess you could try NOT feeding them but in all honesty do you want a setback at this late in the stage? All this work ....why chance something going bad. :confused:

Good luck to ya man....and let me know how the bag trick works>>>curious!

Peace~Jersey

14. mike

mike Veggy Stage

Grow them inside

If you sit them by the window seal. Can go on for many years no flowers. Same diffrence. Outdoors there are street lamps, pouch lights, vehicals, and more. That could cause the same affect. But like we all know outdoor growing has it's limits. Harder to control multple harvest. You can have 4 harvest per year indoors and only 1 outdoors. This was something I read from a book. Hope it inlightns some minds.

15. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

not much to report yet. Im just posting to show I haven't forgot about it. more updates to come, peace.

16. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

alright I finally got time to post. I've been busy working lately, and haven't had the chance to post. I got the three smallest plants and put a trash bag over top of them on 8/23 and have been putting it one them at 7:00. I think one of my plants could have spider mites. On the bottom of a few lower leaves, theres these white eggs on the plant. I think they were spider mite eggs(if anyone has any idea what it is, please tell me.)I took 2 sponges and brushed them off like I read about. put the 2 sponged on the leaf like a sandwhich then sliding it along the leaf. any suggestions? more to come.

17. Dr. Dra

Dr. Dra Veggy Stage

Dude why are you wasting time putting the bags on them. my plants outdoors have been flowering for like 2 weeks now and I live in Jersey. in the words of paul, just let it be.

18. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

I don't know excatly when they start( or started) to flower, because I havent seen any signs yet, balls or hairs, but worst case sencenario, I'll have a few plants that finish before the rest, and then I'll just smoke that bud until the rest are ready to be harvested. I watched the weather channel today and it said that the sunrise was at 6:55 and sunset is at 7:55, so I know they should start their flower cycle soon, if they havent started already. btw, will they start the flower cycle if they're on 13/11, or does it have to be 12/12 exactly?

19. Dr. Dra

Dr. Dra Veggy Stage

I'm really surprised they haven't started to flower at all. It doesn't have to have 12/12 to flower neccessarily. It can be 13/11 or even sometimes 14/10 depending on genetics. See marijuana has a sort of sensor that detects the amount of light and dark it recieves. When the time naturally starts going down in the summer the plants realize winter is coming with the changes of time, so they respond by flowering.

20. pokerhead28

pokerhead28 Germinated

well maybe there flowering now, but only like a week in, so I can't see the signs. I just trimmed them on monday, so I hope that didn't hurt them. I got 3 about 3 feet tall, 6 about 1 1/2 and 3 about 1 foot.