cold weather strains

Discussion in 'Strains and Crosses' started by oceanistheultimatsolution, Aug 21, 2006.

1. i met this guy in switzerland who said they grew way up at high altitude in the mountains in cold weather. does anyone know of any strains anywhere that would grow in not extreme cold, but beat regular frosting during their lifetime?

2. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

I have NEVER heard of such a thing.....first off plants bloom when they are in WARM/HOT weather......frost will kill a plant flowering.

I think he is pulling your leg on this one..... ;) The only way I can see where they had success is if they were in cold temps(which would slow up the growth process) but also never subjected to frost conditions.

Peace~Jersey

3. UrBigBuddie

UrBigBuddie MEDI-GROWER

SORRY!!!!, BUT PLANTS GROW , WHEREVER THEYVE ADAPTED TO NOT JUST IN WARMER CLIMATES EITHER, AND IVE HEARD THAT TOO MA MAN........

PEACE OUT!!!

UrBigBuddie...........:cool: :D

4. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

LOL ...well first off I am a girl but anywhos..... :p

I can see a plant adapting to colder climates.....but to actually flower in temps that produce frost and snow?? :confused: Then I wanna see a pic of this particular strain flowering in the cold with frost. ;) :D

Peace~Jersey

5. if i had one i would post it for ya, lady in the land of Kevin Smith. but i have never been to switzerland or seen one for that matter.:cool:

6. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Hmmmm maybe I will google this as I am a "curious one" by nature! :p ;) If it is true...pretty damn cool!

Peace ~JG

7. 420

420 KING

well, there is a strain of cannabis rudarelis that naturally grows specifically on the east side of mt. taygetos in greece, that survives in 40-60 degree weather annually, they grow like dandelions on the side of the mountain ussually never exeeding a foot, and they turn purple late in life

producing one very dense top bud

there are many storys about medicine men, and psychic's who smoked these plants to hear the voices of a lost spirits.

8. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

I'm from Switzerland and I see plants grown in the Mountains all the time. They are usually grown in or near mountain towns, and not really up in the mountians, at these lower elevations it doesn't get too cold till early to mid-October, but higher up it would get cold sooner.

There is an outdoor strain called Stupersonic that is supposed to withstand really cold temps. Check last year's Pot Shots of mid to late September, and look for "Outdoor Backyard Grow", amazing stuff.

Stupersonic X Choc. Chunk by Danno

[​IMG]

9. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Yah Link.....I know all about the "Chunk" and YUMMY is all I can say!! My best frd & grow buddy and I grew Choco Chunk indoors...never outdoors tho. Tho we did not have the supersonic....so you may be right. ;)

Anywhos...pretty cool that there are strains that can withstand the cold temps. My bad...I thought he meant below freezing temps>>which is why I was inquiring. ;)

Peace~Jersey

10. buddomi

buddomi Banned

11. Dr. Dra

Dr. Dra Veggy Stage

Isn't cannabis rudarelis like an extreme dirt weed that barely has any thc compared to sativa and Indica?

12. 420

420 KING

well, sometimes the ruderelis strain can be a lil on the shwagg side of cannabis, but like any other plant, it depends on the enviroment. ruderelis can sometimes be higher in thc than some sativas or indicas, but again it all relys on the genetics and the enviroment.

13. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

Again ...NOT to be a nudge>>>but no one has answered me yet on "frost conditions" and snow??? I can see cold temps....but what about freezing temps??? That is what I thought he meant in his first post?? :confused:

Maybe I am a stoner and did not understand his original post and some of the other member's??? ;)

Peace~Jersey

14. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

cranberries flower AND bear fruit whlie surrounded by snow. i live in alaska, ive seen it.

i have no input as to the pot side of that though

Happy Growin'

15. Mermaid

Mermaid ~Sea Of Green~

True that....I have cranberry bogs close to me so yah I see your point. ;)

Just never heard of pot growing in snow was all...>>>would love to see a pic if it is true. Would be pretty amazing and sweet! :)

Peace~JG

16. link420

He was wondering if there are any strains that can withstand frosts. Most plants can withstand frosts, but I've never heard of any strains that can withstand snow.

17. many thank for the kind info all. yeah that was what i wondering, about frost and/or snow. would you have any idea about what strains would withstand forst, cuz i'd like to do a crop this fall/winter, but it doesn't really go below 38/36 degrees.

18. link420

Most plants can withstand SOME frost, but there is no way that you can veg or flower a plant at Temps of 36-38 degrees. Besides that, the light cycle is already too short for any plants to grow vegetatively.

So basically, you're way too late to do a crop this year, ocean. You wanna start your grow in the spring, so that they are ready to finish up in the fall. Most plants are flowering by now, and winter is fast approaching.

19. Green Goblin

Green Goblin Cannabis Connoisseur

i know "Mr. Bigglesworth" doesn't grow so well in the snow. ;P

cannabis is a tropical plant.

save the world. peace.

20. well i'm about a month away from harvest for this coming crop, so i will be good there. j/w about winter. thanks