Suggestions to Optimize

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Gopher Love, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Gopher Love

Gopher Love Under Construction

Ok, first, sorry bout another new topic.. but it's a different subject. I am probably going to be getting a galaxy or maybe a quantum ballast (BTW, thank you very much for all your recommendations) but now that i'm beginning the layout of this new garden i'm having second thoughts on my lights wattage...

I planned on having one 1000W but now heres what the setup will be..

- Ebb & Flow hydro table (two tables that are roughly 2' x 3') with 6 pots in each

- Pots will be 5.5" net pots filled with hydroton instead of my previous rockwool (had to many problems with mold last couple seasons)

- I will also have a mother and cloning chamber (also expandable to accommodate my chamber for seed production and hybridizing)

The flower chamber dimensions are going to be 4' x 8'. With the two trays setup in the center leaving a 1' gap around the entire chamber.

Now my main concern is this... I have read a hundred different opinions on how to setup lights for optimum PAR/Lumens /ft2 but I am still wanting your advice.

So I am thinking about doing two 600 watt on each table now. My main concern is would it be beneficial to just go with two 1000 watt on each table? It is a large cost increase to now think about TWO 1000 watters but if it will be beneficial, it's a must.

I will be growing ONLY from clone, and flowering will begin at about 12-18" depending on how things go with each strain obviously, so i'm expecting 3' or so when done. I am also looking at doing some training techniques such as ScrOG or something, not sure yet, gotta discuss with other parties.

I want maximum quality with maximum yield, so again, if 1000W per table would offer a benefit?

As always, thank you very much for your help and hopefully this season I will be able to keep up a grow log here for you guys, I have never been steered wrong by you all.

2. jr215

jr215 Caged hippie

My friend and mentor switched to two 600 watt bulbs running off a single 1000 watt ballast. There's a splitter you can buy to run the two bulbs. You need to use a certain type of bulb, but to save a couple hundred watts of electricity, I think it's worth it in the long run. I use a 600 over a 2x3 table with 6 plants and it's perfect. Not too hard to cool a 6 either. A 1K can be a bitch to cool.

3. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

2-600w's. The twin table design dictates it. That way you'll also be able to run tables at differing canopy heights too.

4. Gopher Love

Yes I was also leaning to two 600s since then I could also run the two tables with different nute schedules, some earler nutes, and some later. So I can have one table at 3-4 weeks flower and the other table from 4- finish....

EDIT: Ok so I looked into some lights a little more and there is what seems to be a lumatek ballast which can run TWO 600s off the one ballast, and it would be a cheaper purchase than buying two regular 600s.

It is the Lumatek LK6240D.. So as someone above said, this sounds like one of my best options, it also leaves me spending room to buy a better cooling/filtration system and perhaps another light for my mother (just a small 150-250 w MH)...

EDIT 2: Ok, so I also have the problem of figuring out what type of hood I want. There are obviously many options and I dont want to waste light by covering areas I dont need to. The Lumatek ballast I am looking at now says that it works with Hydrofarm reflectors which I have no problem with, but they have many choices...

Anyone use Hydrofarm reflectors ever?

5. SirStynkalot

SirStynkalot A Fat Sticky Bud

It should work with pretty well any hood... I understood the sockets were almost all a standard size. If not you could just drill the holes manually just as easily.

Cool tubes are the best hood design ever imo. Nothing else comes close. Maximum airflow for cooling, ability to switch from horizontal to vertical grows if you ever decide to go into that later, and small wings close to the bulb for good reflectivity. You should be able to get the lights close enough to the tops of the plants that they won't be able to even use all the light they're getting with cool tubes.

6. Gopher Love

Ok so one more question right now dealing with hood and cooling... My initial plan was to use online duct fans.. But I've heard they are loud. Sooooo would it be a good investment to get a centerfugal? Can fan.... That meets my needs? It's a256 cubic for room.... What kind of sort movement would be best, it will go through a carbon filter

Also I felt it meant that the ballast connections were different so was why they wanted the specific reflector

7. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod

600cfm if you use a filter and two 600w lights. Duct fans simply aren't worth spending $$ on.