Planning 1st indoor REAL grow. (some questions)

Discussion in 'Beginner Lounge' started by Dank Vapor, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Dank Vapor

Dank Vapor Harvested Fat Sticky Bud

Been toying around with a plant here and there outdoors for the past, shit, 10 years but never got around to actually doing a grow since I lived in condos n what not.

Wife and I just purchased a nice sized homes and I got SOOOOO excited when I saw in the upstairs that there was a cedar closet INSIDE of another closet. Take some wood trim down since its has a pocket door and bam and no one would be the wiser that anything was beyond that 1st closet with a little tweaking.

Electrically, I got power right there on one wall and since the space is not big, maybe 8'x3'x8'(height), concern with overloading the circuit not big, especially since the house itself needs TONS of renovations before we can move in and means that I can set up all during this renovation and can easily run another line off a different circuit up there. Love being an electrical engineer, hehe. Also means, no base electrical bill to go on since no one lives there. Very excited as I love to grow anything. Been growing spices and herbs for cooking for a while and totally intend to have an outdoor herb and vegetable garden, so a small grow closet wouldn't even be noticed given all my legal growing.

Already have drums in the yard composting all the yard waste my wife and I have been clearing up since the previous owner didn't do shit for the past few years.

The closet is made of cedar, hence my name, hehe, and the way the closet is situated, I can easily vent it right into the attic as well as take in air from the outside since the closet is on an outside wall of the house. Plan to sand the walls to invigorate the cedar oder and then I have a nice masking smell for any skunkyness.

Given the small space, I'm assuming I'm going to use CFs w/ mylar stapled to the wood and go with a soil grow since I'm all into organic living. The pocket door to the closet in dead center so I was going to put a zone on each side and make some small moveable walls to block light, etc for each area.

I'd love to get 2 zones in there, 1 for flowering and 1 for growing/cloning.

For bud, it was just luck. My sister found 2 seeds in a nice bag of hydro she had bought and planted them. Not knowing much about it, she got a male and female and when both matured, sister didnt realize that pollen would travel so far and I got about 30 seeds from the bud she gave me.

Now the questions..

Given the the approximate space and that fact the the room is wood, are CFs a preferred choice for me? I must point out that since its on the 2nd floor and I live in a hot climate (90F+ summer/autumn), its quite warm already in that closet.

About how much space should I allocate to each zone and what kind of wattage and I going to be looking at?

Does anyone know if cedar give off some type of chemical in the air with its oder that can affect a crop?

and any other tidbits would be appreciated if you think of something.

thank you all.. and happy growing (soon).

2. Gratitude

Gratitude Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

Sounds like a lot of potential!

I think it's safe to say the #1 issue here is heat.

It could really be worth your while to explore A/C options.

The space sounds big enough that you could happily house a 400w light for flower but again, the heat...with A/C and a cooltube you could do it!

But back CFL's if you got a couple of the 125w or 200w bulbs you'd still need A/C.

Where there's a will...I'm sure you'll find a way:qbluewacko:

The 2 section thing is a good plan.

Start with your ventilation, it's the thing that will make or break your setup. Take it seriously. Odor control options should be explored at this time as well.

Just some semi-random thoughts...

Best of luck!

Grat

P.S. some ppl take the summer off because of heat.

3. 420kitty

420kitty Just Chillin

yup gonna agree with Grat on that one. heat might prove to be a larger obstacle than you think. I might consider going with the CFL's and once you have them hooked up, monitor the temps they get to before putting your plants in there. from then, you can decide where you're going to go with cooling.

and im no scientist, but i dont think the cedar would affect your crop.

4. NeonLights

NeonLights Excommunicated

Well I myself do not take the summer off. I also work underground so I am well insulated. Heat will be your biggest issue. For a closet that size I would go with a can fan. You are going to need alot of ventilation in an upstairs closet. I am pretty sure all the carbon filters on the market are designed for can style fans. There is a thread on here somewhere on making a odor masking bucket with a comp fan. That may work for you. I would highly recommend a carbon filter and fan combo from HTGSupply.com

As far as the cedar goes it should keep away moths and some other flying insects, but not the ones that can hurt the crop.

Good luck

5. big t double

big t double i finally changed this

sounds like a sweet setup......if youre renovating id definatly try and run a supply vent off your ductwork to get ac up there, id try and get at least a 7-8 inch pipe....that should get you at least 150-200 cfm of cooling......or......yea, if your gonna run extra electrical lines id run an extra one direct from the box dedicated for a portable ac or something.....upstairs grows get mad hot, i got my veg room in an attic space off of an upstairs bedroom.......its gettin up to 90+ degrees.....all i have is a fan blowing air into the space from the bedroom and a fan inside to circulate the hot air.....im currently engineering a room in my basement to move my veg set up down there.......sounds like you got a plan tho man, stick with it.....the rewards are great!!!! peace fam

6. SoloFlyer1

SoloFlyer1 Keep Smyelin

Aha haha!

How cool and congrats!

Think Think Plan Plan Plan....

My opinion is that you can create the room YOU want, as the OWNER!!

Again, congrats!

I'd say Grat has already spoken to some potential issues(HEAT!)

Over-kill is better than insufficient....

Check out some of the user-made cabinets and shit...

Be well and happy harvests!

:qbluewacko: