Aquariums Anyone?

Discussion in 'Smokers Lounge' started by rasganjah, Nov 29, 2011.

1. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Cool pics brother. It's neat to see what the tank used to look like. I liked the freshwater setup you had there.

I'm trying to decide what to do with my Oscars. I originally wanted the Oscars and I got a couple Blood Parrot cichlids as an after thought. But now I have grown really attached to the Blood Parrots and they are even spawning. I don't know if they will be fertile or not yet, but if they are fertile, I will probably need to remove the Oscars if I want any of the fry to survive. From what I can tell, the eggs look like they may be fertile. Only a few have turned white and the rest are opaque.

2. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

No worries brother. Thanks for all the info. I will try the partition when I'm ready to try again. I tried once but I think the male was too much smaller than my female.

T6, he's not kidding about it becoming your new favorite hobby to smoke some killer herb and stare at your reef. I can't walk past my tank without stopping and looking at it for a minute.

3. Cannagirl

Cannagirl Preheat to 420

I'm poor as fuck or i'd have a few reef tanks again. I am jealous of you guys with the salties. Live rock is so cool to stare at and watch all the tiny creatures. Right now the tank I like the most is my guppy tank because of the constant new babies. Though my oscars are cool to feed as well.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001215112242-02.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg.2c11c6c4f8734be62a72fcff18d0b33e.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001215112242-02.jpg.abfa8142c0146a50de10290a81cec069.jpg

4. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

tC- if you check in, I have a question concerning keeping anemones. I have a Green Bubble Tip in my tank and it's been there for about 2 months. I have fed it a few times and it ate fine, but about 2 weeks ago it moved up and behind a rock tucked away where I can barely even see it, let alone feed it. I checked on ot today by moving the rock for a minute to get a look at it and it was deflated at that time, but it's mouth was open and I was worried that it may be sick or unhappy for some reason.

5. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I have a couple Oscars but I am either gonna have to get another tank or get rid of them soon.

6. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Open mouths are definitely a bad sign. BTA's can be finicky, some thrive and other's perish in perfect tanks. How are your water parameters? Are you using any supplements? You might try moving powerheads/returns to change the flow to make the visible/accessable areas more appealing to it. When you fed, were you able to place the food in the tentacles and let the anemone take over, or did you have to force feed it directly in the mouth? Have you ever seen it emit a brown slime after eating? IMO BTA's should only be propogated from anemones that have been proven to thrive in aquariums, there's much too high of a ratio of wild-collected specimens that can't handle it. Good luck Ras, let me know how it goes.

-tC

7. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Yeah I know an open mouth isn't good, that's why I took notice. When I fed it it basically took the food and wrapped itself around it fairly quickly. I just tickled it's tentacles with the fish and then dropped it into the anemone and it closed around it. I have seen it poop a couple times, emitting a brown goo from it's mouth while deflated. I noticed that it's on the move again today, so maybe it's still trying to get adjusted to my tank. I am going to test the parameters today just to be sure but they have been perfect on every other test so far. I have been keeping the salinity and pH pretty stable. I have been using a vitamin and a calcium supplement for my corals, plus iodine, as directed on the packages. Do you think that they are the problem? I don't know whether it was from the wild or aqua-cultured, but if it dies, I will for sure be looking for an aqua-cultured one in the future. I knew going in that anemones are not easy to keep, I was hoping that having a long established aquarium would help.

Thanks for your input and help. I appreciate it.

8. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

Anemone's don't actually "poop". What you're seeing when it emits that brown slime is it regurgitating food that it can't process, and it can be very hard on the anemone. You might try smaller bits of food with a turkey baster. Sounds like you got your parameters and supplements in check. Regular water changes do more good than anything. You were right to wait til you had a nice, established aquarium to introduce an anemone, but BTA's can be a bitch sometimes. Luckily Maroons can be anemone whores, and will host to just about any indo-pacific species of amenone.

-tC

9. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I read in more than one place that the waste is expelled through the mouth, hence it's like pooping but not exactly. It actually did that a couple times right after I got it but I haven't noticed it do it since then, but it's hard to see at the moment. The anemone is quite large when fully expanded, and I gave it pretty small pieces of fish, and it has eaten some mysis shrimp as well. I'll prepare a water change this weekend. My Maroon LOVES her anemone, so I would feel bad if it dies. I got most of my anemone info here http://www.karensroseanemones.net/ she has mostly Rose BTAs but care wise theya re the same aren't they? Roses are just a rarer coloration?

10. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

I miss having a tank, but no space for now. I personally own a 20 gallon, but in high school I got to take care of a 200 (it may have been bigger, I don't remember, but no smaller than that I know) salt water tank for a biology teacher for a credit. It was fun as hell, and when I do have the space, I certainly want another tank to do saltwater.

I like this topic and the fact that so many of us know about setting up tanks, which isn't far off from hydro in the first place, is awesome!

I am weird I guess, but I like fresh water tanks with live plants!

11. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Nothing weird about that, I plan to do a lot of live plants in my goldfish tank. I already have one live plant in there, and I want to do some more. I like the natural look, with wood and rock that is natural colors.

12. LionLoves420

Black Moors are my favorite. I had a pair for five years, then moved, and something happened to my tank and they both died within a month of each other. Went through two algae eaters after that move too, and then gave up for the time being. Moors are some of the most interactive fish I've ever had, and the cats loved looking at the tank!

13. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

I've read that several places also, but I don't believe it to be true. They may slime to get rid of ingested sand, shells etc, but it shouldn't be a normal process of digestion. There's a lot of misinformation and half-truths out there about anemones. I feed my anemones regularly, and I've never seen them "poop". I've only ever seen it from unhealthy anemones or ones that nabbed too big of a chunk of food. Remember, in the wild they are mostly filter feeders, and don't usually get large chunks of food. I always wanted a Rose BTA, but never felt like spending that much on one. My healthiest (and current) anemones actually came from petco. Most of their anemones are aquacultured (at least here, may be different in CA) and very hardy. They may not have the exotic color variations, but they absolutely thrive. My carpet anemone and LTA have tripled in size since I bought them.

-tC

14. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

I actually have a Black Moor in my tank along with a fancy goldfish a pleco, a Dojo Loach, and 2 Cory Cats

15. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

I never did have any luck with the buggers in the old days but I have to admit I have been looking at all the fancy carpet ones and the great colors now being offered.

I always loved watching the clowns playing in them.

t6

16. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

I've always thought a planted tank would be cool, but another thing that I would have to buy co2 for to really do right. I've already got co2 on my big tank for the calcium generator. The guy that refills my tanks for me thinks all my tanks are for my aquariums.

-tC

17. LionLoves420

I always thought tablets and respiration were enough. To be clear, I've never done plant tanks myself, but I've helped with them, even large ones, and I don't remember needing supplemental CO2. Does it just help a lot or more necessary than I thought?

18. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

It's not necessary on smaller or not heavily planted tanks. Experts say if more than 20% of your tank is planted, co2 injection is a must. Just like growing, it will dramatically speed up the growth of your plants, and allow you to have a lot more too. If I did one, I would want to really go all out and have a little underwater jungle.

[​IMG]

-tC

19. TheCarpenter

TheCarpenter member

My clarkii clowns love their Carpet anemone. They actually lay on their sides on it at night just like its a bed. They take good care of it too, all I have to do to feed it is drop a raw shrimp in the tank, and the clowns swim up, grab it, and feed it to the amenone, stuffing it right in its mouth. My decorator crab likes to hang out underneath it too. Let me tell you though, it has the worst sting of any anemone I've ever felt. Most just feel a little "sticky", but the carpets can give you a pretty good burn.

-tC

20. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

The only thing neater than the clowns that I tried was a Blue Ribbon EEl. That thing was about three feet long beautiful colors and head a head like a dragon pretty neat

t6