Looking to increase yield

Discussion in 'Advanced Cultivation' started by Dobeck, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dobeck

Dobeck Dobeck

Ive been using Foxfarm soil and nutes in 2 gallon pots. My yield has been fairly good (about 1-2 oz. per plant) If I increase the size of my pots, would that increase my yield. I'm using 600 watt MH (18-6) and HPS (12-12). Just need some advise to bring my yield up. Thanks

Dobeck

2. nippie

nippie preachin' and pimpin'

easiest way to increase yield is to increase veg.

you say 1-2 per plant, but fail to list how many plants.

3. teamster6

teamster6 Guest

go hydro and more light

t6

4. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

bigger pots make sense if you have bigger plants. But most importantly, you'd definitely increase yield if you flowered with a 600w HPS, instead of your current 400w setup. Run the 600w MH during the first two weeks of flowering, then switch to a 600w HPS for the rest of flowering.

I'm just finishing a round with a 600w HPS, 3 gallon pots, and 8 week veg. I've run the same strain under a 400w HPS, 2 gallon pots, and 5 week veg. The difference is huge, the bigger plants under the 600w HPS will yield at least twice as much as the others did.

5. Dobeck

Dobeck Dobeck

8 weeks veg?

I am using 600w MH and HPS...veg for 4 weeks with MH, and flower 8-10 weeks HPS. Should I veg longer? and also use MH for 2 weeks at beginning of flower?

6. link420

link420 Smokin' Fat Sticky Buds

oh I thought that you're using a 400w for flowering. I'm sure its not necessary to veg plants for 8 weeks, but the general rule of thumb is big plants, big roots, and big lights equal big yields. I wanted big yields, that's why I had decided to veg them that long. All I know is that I ended up with what I wanted, big plants, with big roots, and big buds... easily doubling the previous yield with the 400w.

Mine were vegged for 8 weeks, but they were from seed. If you were to use clones, they wouldnt need nearly that long to get them to the same size and structure. What do I mean with "structure" ?: The Thai99s, from seed, took about 6 weeks until they started to show alternating nodes. I had never vegged plants that long, but I was always under the impression from looking at other's grows, that you need alt nodes to get big colas to form. That's why I vegged them for further 2 weeks, to give them the structure, the alternating nodes, needed for big colas.

I wish that some other people would chip in here, seeing as this was my first grow using the 600w HPS, it would be nice to hear from people who have more experience with long veg times and big plants.

7. greenjah

greenjah A Fat Sticky Bud

first off the more you grow the better you get, especialy if you stick to the same strains until you get the hang of it and the better you get the bigger the yield even if you dont veg longer. I have started to veg longer now also though and yes it makes a huge difference, I would veg for 2 more weeks and compare the difference, at 4 weeks veg they are just getting to the size that they really take off so 2 more weeks will give you much bigger plants.

8. rasganjah

rasganjah True Ganjaman

Something I have learned is that Rootmass is directly related to the Budmass that you harvest. More roots = more buds. That's not to say that you have to go bigger with the pots though, you can change mediums, or type of container and allow longer veg as some others have said. Smart Pots will allow you to have a more fibrous and dense rootmass in the same size pot by air pruning the roots or you could go with something like Coco or straight perlite and do hempy style drain to waste hydro. All these are very inexpensive ways to increase the rootmass and yield without increasing your container size or plant numbers.

9. luvtogrow

luvtogrow Veggy Stage

Knowing little about the setup, strain, etc. I'd say, yes, 5gal pot is minimum in my soil grows, if i'm planning on getting big yields, also topping/training to use more canopy type light, vs tree style, and depending on plant i almost always have to trim from the bottom. Generally allowing no bud lower than 3-4' from bulb with the 600w, if they get that tall and for big yield you will want them to be big plants, with many budsites, so, of course more veg time. 6 weeks is bigtime for yield, i go no longer than 8, and most strains will need work to keep within height restrictions.

Are you running one light? If so, slap in another 600w, even the mh is fine, get them to work together, and watch huge yields.

Don't over-fert.

10. Toker2

Toker2 Looking at a hot ass

depends on a few things like strain...and bigger pots mean bigger plants

means less room....its a toss up man, your kicking ass now as it is.

IMO i would not change a thing, if i could get 20-40 onions

for just 20 plants in small Pots...im way happy but thats me.

Just a though but add a digi 600 watt and add 20 more or so

and keep up the good work

peace

11. 420/24/7/4/12

420/24/7/4/12 Excommunicated

Awesome! I don't see many people talk about the roots, when they should.

No one talks about using lighting cycles that are different from the standard 12/12 cycle. I talk about this in this thread http://forum.growkind.com/showthread.php?t=43490&page=3

You can dramtically increase yield by starting the flowering cycle with more then 12 hours, such as 13 or 14. You can keep the yield higher by dropping the amount of daylight per day at a slower rate and having the flower cycle last longer or you can get similar yields in less time by starting them at 13-14 hours and having them at 11-10 hours at 8 weeks.

I have also noticed a lower instance of hermie's and other light stresses when the lighting cycle is altered as opposed to having it 12/12 for the entire time. A 12/12 cycle is very unnatural for most strains that were meant to be grown indoors.

12. ResinRubber

ResinRubber Civilly disobedient/Mod