What the...

Discussion in 'Pests and Plant Problems' started by bluto, Dec 12, 2007.

1. bluto

bluto New Sprout

I recently transplanted to new soil, and tried to reduce PH with charcoal and ground egg shells added to the soil. I am using water that has soaked in a little charcoal to reduce the ph.

The plant responded well as soon as i started doing this and grew several times larger in just a few days. Now I am seeing a black smudge on one of the larger leaves, and can see a slight blackening elsewhere.

I know, I need a PH meter, but won't have one until next month. Is this also a PH problem? Did I go to far?

I dont' think I have overwatered, or have pests?

MAN I want a PH meter... I thought this stuff was suppose to grow like a ... Spot.jpg

2. kama3

kama3 Established Healthy Roots

grow like a beard.if you just started to use the u should be able to see ph on the plastic bag where it came from. i suggest you buy ph buffers first cause this vinegar and egg shit sound too wierd. i once tried this thing with eggs n later all the water smelled like bad shit. i didnt have nerve to feed my plants with this shit. but yesterday i kinda tested my 9$ soil ph tester n pointer was muvin

3. LionLoves420

LionLoves420 Lazy Days In The Sun

Best way to control PH in my opinion is LIME, I've never had an issue

I am not sure charcoal is entirely good for the plant anyway, what kind did you use?

4. bluto

bluto New Sprout

I used the 'natural' kind, which still retains is wood-like look. I live in Asia, so I can't give you and name... this is also the reason why I don't have a PH meter... or good soil I guess. I can't read a damn thing.

I replanted today, flushed the root ball and put it in some soil that has less charcoal. The only conclusion I could come to was that the charcoal was being obsorbed by the plant - as the black smudge was exactly the same color as the charcoal, and was spreading to other leaves.

Since shopping for 'odd' products is impossible, I have to try to make this go with household products.

I'm seriously considering buying a Aerogarden - soil is suppose to be 'easy', but darn, that isn't my experience. Is blueberry that tough??