GrowKind.com Marijuana Cultivation Forum  

Go Back   GrowKind.com Marijuana Cultivation Forum > Public Board > Beginner Lounge
Support GrowKind Donate BTC: 1B6z6UHuuadQ9Cseu3H5VyQpKEKchC19fF

Old 05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Full Flowering

NUGZ  gives out some good pointers on growing
Default how far should my light be away from my plants?

i soaked my seeds in distilled water for 24 hours with superthrive and have a 400 watt hps, i was wondering how far the light should be away from the plants, i will be just plopping them in the soil after the 24 hours is up, waiting for them to sprout and then placing them under the hps. i have heard 18 inches is the ideal distance, is this correct? thanks again, nugz

WANT THE BIGGEST HIT POSSIBLE?? Vaporize! Because of the cool mist nature of vapor that the Vaporbrothers produces you will be able to take bigger hits and hold them longer than with any bong, iced or otherwise. Take the challenge, but do it sitting down! Support GrowKind by buying from Vaporwarehouse.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Veggy Stage

somebobyinsomeplace likes being stoned in the corner

i read that u should keep an HPS a little further, because the light is so intense for the little ones. Try 30 inches for the first 2 weeks, then move it down to 18". I think when i grew mine i had my 400watt hps 24" from the plants and put a piece of window screen between the light and the plants. Good Luck.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:51 PM
New Sprout
| My GK Garden |

Robry420 likes being stoned in the corner

There are certain factors, specifications Say 250w should be 3-4 feet away and 400w 5-6 feet away Unless of course you have a air cooling hood for your light, I'd recomend to deffinitly buy one or make one yourself like I did.For Flowering plants You want the light as close as possible to the plants without severly burning them (yellowing the leaves) Just hold ur hand underneith the light and slowly move it closer toward the bulb, when your hand feels uncomfortable due to the heat a good rule of thumb is to give it 6-8 inches lower from that point. SInce you have babies to be on the safe side id recomend using a min of 40w or 2 24in 20w bulbs of Flourescent lights to get things started, You can put those 1 to 3 inches away with no worries. hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Latae Sententiae Excommunication
| My GK Garden |

Mr. Wakenbake drowns their plants in PISS

Okay, we might start a riot in here..so bear wit me.I don't suggest puting ANY seedlings straight under the HPS, without a couple of weeks under the flo's (get the ho's so low, that u can just get your hand between ur plant and the bulb.) with a fan blowing on them .Then move them under the 400..put it about 2 feet up and slowly lower it around 4 inches or so a day until about 16-18 above, depending on how hot it gets.....remember it's not the light that kills em, it's the heat. It normally dries out the soil faster than u can keep it watered and the little ones fall over and die..peace
Old 05-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Developed Alternating Nodes

CTGuy likes being stoned in the corner

Suggestion, rather than move the lights closer to the plants... raise your plants off the floor closer to the light. Constantly moving those lights is a bitch!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:04 AM
newbie_gal

Default looking for help....

im a very new member so new i dont even know how to post something myself so please have patience with me...this is my first year growing....already have some tips but needs lots more....my plants are indoor for now but will be going outdoors....there around 1.5 weeks old...around 2-3 inches long.....i put them outside during the day to get sun but wasnt puting any lights on them during the nite.......I am going to purchase some lights today but Ive heard 400w hps is what I need...is this true and I dont have a certain place in my house for them yet...I do have a spare bedroom?so if anyone can help it would be great....im looking for what type of light...how far from plant and where to put them....closet or spare bedroom?thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 06:37 AM
Latae Sententiae Excommunication

Tiberon likes being stoned in the corner

Newbie gal....you have much to learn. Not trying to be rude....but hijacking a thread will not get your questions answered. Id suggest reading the FAQ....because everything you just asked is in there. Also ask in the beginners lounge for a wide consensus of views. It seems chicks around these parts get preferential treatment if ya know what I mean

As for how far to keep the light away? Simple....dont use it yet. Get some compact flouros and get the lumens right on the seedlings. Its cheaper and you wont scorch your plants.
If you use the HPS you will battle 'stretching'. And that can be a pain in the ass. They are easy to break at that age. Then you will find yourself building ghetto little contraptions to keep them upright....which will just get in the way.
Just my opine!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Full Flowering

NUGZ  gives out some good pointers on growing
Default wow

i have heard from many before i posted this thread that grow completely from seed to harvest using an hps with alot of successs, i wonder why no one has stepped forward yet? do u guys really think putting them under flouros to begin is the best choice? i used fluoros before to start some plants and only 3/8 survived. i don't know what to do. also by the way my hps is air cooled, and i do have cold air running directly to the bulb also tempered glass is used. any advice on what do do is greatly appreciated. thanks again, NUGS
Old 05-31-2006, 08:52 PM
In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

krondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THC
Talking Hps

I'll step forward, The last seed I planted has been under 400W HPS its entire life. 20 hours a day, 4 hours dark, and the plant is growing perfectly. I guess it stretched a little bit, but it's definetly the fastest growing plant ive had. Like I was saying to someone else, I recommend trying it. This is the only plant ive ever done it to before, and I am really pleased with the results. I think the main reason people say to use floros at the beginning is just because you can get the floros so much closer. I'll throw a picture of it up later. Peace.:D

SICK PLANT?? LOOK HERE FIRST!!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

MY D.I.Y. DWC SET-UP - BUBBLE BUCKETS
http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26773

CURING 101 - Thanks, Stickyicky24
http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39705

How we clone - Thanks Rasta R.B.
http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41889

CURRENT GROW:
LA CONFIDENTIAL
OG KUSH (BUBBA?)
GRAND DADDY

Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 PM
In A Cloud Of Kush Smoke

krondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THCkrondikebar Sweats Pure THC
Talking I forgot to say...

oh yea, and since you have an air cooled HPS I would recommend trying it even more. If you can keep that thing pretty cool, then you should be able to get it fairly close to stop the stretching. just my thoughts tho, peace out.

SICK PLANT?? LOOK HERE FIRST!!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=11688

MY D.I.Y. DWC SET-UP - BUBBLE BUCKETS
http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26773

CURING 101 - Thanks, Stickyicky24
http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39705

How we clone - Thanks Rasta R.B.
http://www.growkind.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41889

CURRENT GROW:
LA CONFIDENTIAL
OG KUSH (BUBBA?)
GRAND DADDY